It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Says US Needs National Search-And-Rescue Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
In a conference with President Bush, a number of military leaders encouraged the formation of a coordinated search-and-rescue plan that would incorporate federal, state, and local operations. Leaders cited situations where multiple helicopters would show up for a single rescue and expressed concern in the event of a sudden disaster or terrorist attack.

www.msnbc.msn.com
BATON ROUGE, La. - President Bush on Sunday wrapped up a three-day trip designed to convey hands-on leadership during the Gulf Coast hurricanes, promising to act on military leaders’ request for a national search-and-rescue strategy.

“It’s precisely the kind of information that I’ll take back to Washington to help all of us understand how we can do a better job in coordinating federal, state and local response,” Bush told commanders.

Bush heard military leaders plead for a national plan to coordinate search-and-rescue efforts. Maj. Gen. John White, a member of the military’s joint task force on Rita, said that the current plans were so scattered that five helicopters might show up at once to rescue the same person.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can definitely see the organizational merit to creating such a plan, however, there is also the issue of how and with whom to centralize such authority. I know many on this board might be worried about the Department of Defense having such power as was suggested by the President. I wonder what direction these plans will take.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

new topics

join