It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Kill the Falsely Framed Partisan Stereotypes Here

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Well, that's a sweeping generalization if i've ever heard one.
ps: I've been hearing that Bush is an idiot since 2000, that's nothing new.

I thought this thread was about killing the falsely framed partisan stereotypes??

So to answer your above posts questions about did you help?
no, b/c your still doing it.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I also drive a (small) pick-up (but I just got a new RAV4) and I'm female, too!

And I drive a crappy little Saturn that gets 30-MPG. I also get mad at people who still drive their 15 miles per gallon gas guzzlers. I mean I don't think there should be a law or anything, it just annoys me.

Let's see what other ones I can kill.

-I don't like Country.
-I listen to punk music (The Misfits being my favorite band...see my avatar and sig.)
-I don't always have a crew cut (I let it grow pretty long and messy before I cut it back down to crew-cut level).
-I don't hate gay people.
-I've worked with gay people, got along with gay people, and have a gay friend. (He's more my brother's friend but I talk to him all the time and hang out with him when I go places with him and my brother.)
-I don't love texas, and I'm not necessarily afraid to "mess with" it.
-I don't hate foreigners. I actually really like foreigners. I'm always interested in their culture and language. I went to Brazil over the summer and made a lot of friends.

I'm not sure that this is what RANT had in mind for the thread though.. If not, sorry RANT!

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
I'm not sure that this is what RANT had in mind for the thread though.. If not, sorry RANT!

No, I think personal mini-"platforms" and background checklists are great and cuts more to the heart of the topic than my original convoluted thoughts.
Applause to you and BH for thinking to start the trend.

I'll edit my own in to the original post to confirm the direction as soon as I get the chance.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

No, I think personal mini-"platforms" and background checklists are great and cuts more to the heart of the topic than my original convoluted thoughts.
Applause to you and BH for thinking to start the trend.

I'll edit my own in to the original post to confirm the direction as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks RANT!
. I'm glad that I was able to help.. I wasn't too sure if that's where you wanted your thread to go haha. BH is cool too. Even though she's (I didn't know you were a girl until this thread) like my complete opposite, she seems pretty level-headed and open minded.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I forgot to add...

I WASin favor of the Iraq war when all the data I had was the LIE that drug us into it. Now I think we need to clean up ourmess and bring our people home.

I am against irrational generalizations of political platforms that are meaningless beyond the death of SEVERAL THOUSAND trees coughRANTcough...
Seems a waste of a good mind to me.

Seriously though, I do NOT understand people who blindly buy into ANYTHING political or otherwise simply because they are told to, their parents did, it's cool and trendy or any other reason I have omitted. Glad to hear that RANT has bought the Democrat's entre based on research.

One more thing... Since WHEN is Social Security a GOOD thing?!

Springer...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Springer...

Pretty much since this picture was taken.

A social contract among the most prosperous and generous people on the planet to keep our elderly and infirm from eating cat food doesn't bother me. In fact, I dare any politician to try and eliminate it. Many of us have grown fond of having a middle class. I'm partial to it myself.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Since we're doing checklists and mini-platforms, I'll chime in as they come to me. Though I don't know how many "stereotypes" I can break down myself. I already know what you guys think of me.

~I'm a democrat.

~I love America. I think it's the most radical and revolutionary concept to hit the planet since leaving water to breathe air came into style.

~This blows my mind: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. — The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

~I love the south, and some of it's people.

~I come from a mixed background of poor people and people that owe them money with a family tree that stops abruptly at Indian reservations, orphanages and the Appalachian foothills.

~All males of age served in the military. They don't talk or brag about it.

~Deeply religious upbringing, serious theological study and considered the ministry at one point. We don't talk religion either.

~The churches I'm used to prayed for hostages to be released, not to have Presidents impeached.

~Extended family includes Republicans, Democrats and "Regan Democrats" all equally fed up with Bush, Iraq, immigration, outsourcing, gas prices, superfolous legislation and pandering to the extreme religious right. That includes the pissed off Baptists I know too.

~Second generation college. Public education is good.

~Raised with guns, but don't own one now. Don't really care if anyone else shoots themselves in the foot, but don't like guns pointed at my head.

~Choice isn't even up for discussion. This is America. Choice is good.

~I think personal responsibility begins with staying out of other people's business.

~Society isn't a bad word.

~Morals are wonderful, but judging someone else's is neither.

~Progress is inevitable as are people opposed to it.

~Things change, people don't.

~The middle class is the greatest invention of the 20th century.

~Democracy is hard, but it's worth it.

~Most nations trend toward a one party system over time.

~A two party system has problems, but it's better than the alternative.

~A predominantly capitalist based democracy will inevitable create it's own opposition to the people. Given enough time and revisionism, the "virtual" party will invariably wrest control. God has no place in any of it, but if He does, He's been voting drunk since Nixon.

~I respect a "wide range" of Republicans from Eisenhower to Goldwater. And I respect none since those 11 years.

~As an American, I was appropriately embarrassed by President Clinton having an affair. I was more embarrassed however by the term "Freedom Fries."

~My patriotism doesn't require me to hate everyone else like it's a contest. Neither does my race, gender, spirituality or sexuality.

~I'm not a bleeding heart anything and can make tough choices.

~Freedom is supposed to be ugly.

~I can prioritize my outrage.

~Poor people don't disgust me. Neither do rich people. But people that always had opportunities don't always understand the true meaning of the concept.

~Things should be fair.

~Every problem has a practical solution, and every ideological solution is a problem.

~I sometimes talk like a pop zen Rabbi for no reason.

~I have a problem with authority, but recognize some people are smarter than others and many are smarter than me.

~And the thing I want least is a President "just like me."

[edit on 28-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Im not a Bush supporter.
I am a proud athiest.
I think min wage should keep up with inflation.
I was against Gulf war 2 due to the reasoning offered by the Bush admin.
I am against the concept of limted wars.
I think people should pay min taxs.
I think that society is about people not government.
Nothing makes me more angry then watching personal responsablity being eroded from society.
I think the government should help people in geniune need. However so called "social welfare" programs require careful thought before they are put into practice.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

When it is done like the Swedish System.

Lower Average tax rates and fantastic health care, education and everything a government should enforce as well as a tny public and private debt which is going down not up...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Views on hot-button topics. Here we go:

I think the invasion of Iraq was justified.
By Saddams refusal to abide by the surrender terms of 1991.

I think social security is mostly an excuse for the govt to take your money.
They're hoping you will die before you collect. Mandatory private accounts would keep the govt from spending your money on pork barrel, then borrowing money to pay your benefits.

I think the best way to end racism and the oppression of the underclass is to get minorities involved in the stock and bond markets, not give them special privileges by govt fiat.

I am against abortion.
"Seven things the Lord hates; haughty eyes, lying lips, hands that shed innocent blood. . . ."

I'm in favor of capital punishment.
By hanging. (don't waste electricity, or use dangreous poisons! Gravity is a safe, renewable resource!)

I believe that freedom without morality leads to oppression.
From transnational corporations, to preteen sex, someone suffers when people are allowed to do anything, and not taught to choose the good.

I'm against the government establishment of religion.
But I cannot believe that a graduating senior is not 'allowed' to mention their faith in Deity in a 'commencement speech.' Since when is me talking about my beliefs an attack on yours?

I think public education has become a train wreck.
Because its denies the free market in ideas, and is one more opportunity for us to pay a tax.

I think many policies of today's left result in forcing the values of a small minority upon the rest of us. Apparently, millions of voters agree with me.

And here's 10 things about my background:

Things that sound conservative
- I voted for Bush twice.
- I live in Texas
- I am a Christian
- Guns? Sure, whaddya need?
- I speculate heavily in the markets; some years it's a third of my income.

Things that sound liberal
- I have a masters degree
- I speak 4 languages
- I've traveled extensively internationally
- My wife is Middle Eastern (dusky and gorgeous, with eyes that see through you).
- my parents were dirt poor, and I've spent more of my life doing "blue collar," than I have doing "white collar" work.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
I'm in favor of capital punishment.
By hanging. (don't waste electricity, or use dangreous poisons! Gravity is a safe, renewable resource!)

Forgot that one. I usually assume capital punishment is a given, though a moratorium to review some prior outstanding cases of particularly "speedy justice" (to include DNA testing, etc.) doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me.

I like how you organized the "things that sound liberal" and "things that sound conservative" too. .

I wasn't feeling very organized at 4 am this morning myself. But I'm also not sure what the stereotypes would be anymore for income. If you're doing really, really well that's a "typical" liberal response, and if you're dirt poor that is too. That just highlights how contradictory most political "stereotypes" are.

According to the stereotypes, all Republicans are uneducated billionaires that live in trailers, shop at WalMart and run the world.

And all liberals are ivory tower elitist poor people from Hollywood that live off the government, work at WalMart and run the world.

Or any combination of the above that allows someone to dismiss another as "typical."

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm a Democrat-leaning slightly right

- I'm a Christian.

- I almost voted for Bush in '00...no chance in hell in '04

- I was not happy to vote Kerry in '04...yet another year of who's worse, ok i'll vote for the other guy.

- I believe the welfare system is corrupt and ineffective.....but still absolutely neccessary.

- I don't believe in Affirmative Action....seems like reverse discrimination to me.

- I'm not a big fan of the ACLU....but still absolutely neccessary.

- I like the idea of smaller (effective) goverment...neither side had done this well, and the current Republican admin. has failed utterly and completely in this regard.

- I don't believe anybody has the right or need to own an automatic weapon.

I'm a Christian

- I'm a Creationist and an IDT advocate and i DON'T believe either should be taught in the public schools....it was a HUGE mistake imho to make this a political (partisan) debate.

- I like Charles Darwin, and think he was responsible for one of the most important scientific discoveries of all time. Just because i take issue with some hypotheses of Evolution, does not make me ignorant, "anti-science" or "anti-evolution".

- I don't believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.

- I don't like abortion...but don't think it should or can be legislated, except for "late-term" abortions which imo should be outlawed unless the mother's health is at risk.

- I don't believe in the death penalty. State sponsered murder (justified or not) is wrong. Rehabilatation is always possible and if not, a lifetime behind bars is more appropriate punishment. If we taxpayers have to foot the bill, so be it. It's the price of being civilized imo. Thou shall not murder.....Vengence is mine so saeth the LORD.

- Removing the Ten Commandments from courthouses or "under GOD" from the pledge or "in GOD we trust" from currency is ridiculous. It's who we are, it's where we came from. Like it or not... those are the facts, Jack.

- I don't hate Muslims...or any other person(s) of faith. Atheists are ok too...i guess

- I think gay men and women should be allowed to marry. If a specific church has a problem having the ceremony in their church that's fine but it's no reason to outlaw it. Is it a sin..?..i don't know, GOD will be the judge. The state and/or federal government should remain neutral. No laws one way or the other.

- I don't like religion i think for the most part it is anti-christ(no not THE antichrist).

Ok that's all i could think of right now...it is cool to see everyone's world-view, i enjoyed this. Good idea.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am...

pro business and pro environment, believing business needs to be protected from the government and that the environment needs to be protected from business.

pro American, and pro European, and pro South American, and pro African, and pro Asian...still thinking about the "Aussies," though...

pro military, particularly defense, not particularly offense.

pro constitution, which for me includes the first ten Amendments and the protections they afford. I also think the 9th Amendment has been ignored for far too long!

pro personal responsibility and pro generosity

pro pragmatism, realism, and idealism...no conflict in my head there whatsoever...

many other things, and far more than any conservative or liberal label can adequately convey.

I am also anti- this administration.

Finally, I love my son and want him to have a happy, healthy, productive future...

Oh, and did I mention I'm anti- this administration? Just checking...

EDIT: ...and I also hate BB code

[edit on 28-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I'm a conservative, and I work at Starbucks!.

Take that!

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Take that!

Forgive me but the above statement makes no sense.
Could you please explain?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
A social contract among the most prosperous and generous people on the planet to keep our elderly and infirm from eating cat food doesn't bother me. In fact, I dare any politician to try and eliminate it. Many of us have grown fond of having a middle class. I'm partial to it myself.

If ONLY it was used that way... I'll agree the VERY SMALL percentage of the money actually used to HELP citizens is awesome... The THIEVERY of the funds by the Congress for pet projects, the MISERABLE LACK of return on investment for future funding (the number of recipients is WAY out pacing the income) are criminal IMHO.

I'd be willing to give up the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS I've personally paid in if they would allow those who want to to opt OUT and invest for their own well being. That means I get NOTHING at 62 or whenever I am supposed to get my whopping $2,300 a month...

I'd also be willing to contribute, based on income, to a REAL "citizen security" fund as long as ANYONE who misappropriated funds from it GOT a mandatory LIFE jail sentence and the ONLY people who received the money were GENUINELY in need. They either couldn't work because of physical or mental handicaps or they were at retirement age with NO OTHER SOURCE of income.

Springer...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Forgive me but the above statement makes no sense.
Could you please explain?

Mind if I help dash yet another stereotype?

When a conservative wants a cup o' Joe, he goes into the nearest diner and sits at a plastic-covered table, where an aproned waitress named Louise pours 4-hour-old coffee from a glass pot with a brown (or orange) plastic handle into a white cup and saucer. And he drinks it black. And he likes it!

Only liberals would even deign to enter a hippified fancy coffee spot like Starbuck's with new-age music playin' and croissants and biscotti lining the counter to order and drink the concoction known as "a double half-caf-mocha espresso frappaccino light, with-a-twist and hold the sprinkles".

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I am so disappointed on the name calling and baseless statements.

What I am? let see.

I am an American living in an American city.

I care for my country and my fellow Americans.

It saddens me the direction our so called "Elected leaders" in both sides of the political parties are taking our proud nation.

Do I deserve to be bashed, tag and degraded for what I feel?

It feels worst when is actually done my the same fellow Americans that I care for so much.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Mind if I help dash yet another stereotype?

When a conservative wants a cup o' Joe, he goes into the nearest diner and sits at a plastic-covered table, where an aproned waitress named Louise pours 4-hour-old coffee from a glass pot with a brown (or orange) plastic handle into a white cup and saucer. And he drinks it black. And he likes it!

Only liberals would even deign to enter a hippified fancy coffee spot like Starbuck's with new-age music playin' and croissants and biscotti lining the counter to order and drink the concoction known as "a double half-caf-mocha espresso frappaccino light, with-a-twist and hold the sprinkles".

Thanks, BH
. Not to mention some of their "The way I see it" quotes on their cups... Although there is one conservative seeming quote, most of them are environmental protection and gay acceptance quotes. One of them says something like "The only part about being gay that I regret is that I waited so long to come out".

I just have to keep my opinions under wraps while working there

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Herman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join