It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hillary Clinton Comes Out Against IFC 9/11 Memorial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hillary Clinton told the NY Post that she wants the International Freedom Center project canceled, citing a failure to listen to the concerns of 9/11 families. The IFC came under broad criticism for its lack of focus on 9/11 and exposition of unrelated subjects such as slavery. Fears of bias were also fueled by its planning and funding by left-wing groups and individuals such as George Soros.

www.nypost.com
WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton yesterday dealt a crushing blow to the International Freedom Center planned for Ground Zero, saying she wants the project canned for failing to listen to the 9/11 families.

"I cannot support the IFC," Clinton declared last night in a strongly worded statement in response to an inquiry from The Post.

Her tough comments are Clinton's first significant remarks about the controversy raging at Ground Zero over the Freedom Center, which 9/11 families and other critics fear will become a center of anti-Americanism.

"While I want to ensure that development and rebuilding in lower Manhattan move forward expeditiously, I am troubled by the serious concerns family members and first responders have expressed to me," Clinton said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great news, I totally agree with Clinton and applaud her outspoken stance on this. Any 9/11 memorial on ground zero needs to be completely devoted to that day and the victims of this horrible tragedy. No one wants to go there and learn about slavery, American Indians, gays, or abortion.

Related News Links:
NY Times
NY Daily News
www.nationalreview.com

[edit on 9/24/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more. The more they water down the memories of what happened that day, the more they diminish the heroic efforts of both professional EMS/Police/Firefighters, and the heroic civilians who stood their ground to help those in desperate need.

Such uncommon valor should never be forgotten - heros, every one of them who stood their ground and helped!

[edit on 24-9-2005 by FEMA]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For once I find myself agreeing with Mrs. Clinton. The concept of the IFC is just rediculous. It's really nothing more than a way for other groups to piggyback a horrendous event. Sure most of those agendas are just and should be remembered. But Ground Zero should be about what happened on 9/11, not the agendas of others. They can have their own memorial.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Good for her. It shows she's willing to listen to the people and not always play politics. Hoping she makes it to the presidency!

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Good move on her part. It's hard to speak out against something like that, but, ya gotta if they're heading the wrong way and fast. Good on her.

Still don't like her though...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Good move on her part. It's hard to speak out against something like that, but, ya gotta if they're heading the wrong way and fast. Good on her.

That sums it up for me as well. I agree with what she is saying, but don't trust her at all...matter of fact, even though she is presenting a great point, my question is: What is the real reason she is saying this? What does she get out of it?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Neither do I, but she's doing the right thing here.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well, I also agree with this.

Ground Zero should be a memorial to all those who died on 9/11.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The end is nigh. I have agreed with statements made by both Bill and Hillary in the same week. It is to be remembered that I voted for Bill in 1992, but I have been less than inspired by the man since.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn
What is the real reason she is saying this? What does she get out of it?

Popularity for when she runs for president in 2008. Of course all politicians should be speaking out against the IFC, I figure most don't realize that lot's of people are against it. The main reason nobody says anything is because standing against this BS is labeled as "anti-freedom" or "oppresionist". But I think Hilary hit gold in the fact that controversy = attention = popularity = votes = presidency in '08.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

What is the real reason she is saying this? What does she get out of it?

Popularity is one factor, of course. She is a politician, but I think she is reflecting the wishes of her constituency. The memorial should be devoid of ideology and I think New Yorkers, even the liberal elite who might agree with much of the extraneous messages imposed upon the project, are upset that the memorial has been hijacked. There was a similar incident concerning the photo of the firefighters raising a flag at ground zero being made into a statue.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 2005/9/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I support Hilary here, although I'm suspicious of her in general. A musuem dealing with "freedom" related issues seems wrong to me, for a number of reasons. First, there's the issues already stated: this is not what the families of the victims want, and it would dishonor their memories. But also, why have a museum dealing with "freedom" in the first place, which is a nebulous topic. If it belongs anywhere, why not the Statue of Liberty, or near the old docks downtown, or the MLK memorial, or something similar? That seems more appropriate to the idea than linking it to 9/11. The only concievable museum I could see being appropriate (if any were) at this memorial would be a museum detailing the events of that day, so visitors in the future who may not be familiar with the events could learn of them. Sadly, I suspect "freedom" was chosen as a theme because to deal with the events of 9/11 face on would generate even more controversy.

-koji K.

[edit on 25-9-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

That sums it up for me as well. I agree with what she is saying, but don't trust her at all...matter of fact, even though she is presenting a great point, my question is: What is the real reason she is saying this? What does she get out of it?

She gets some extra votes next time she runs for office...and we all have an idea what that could be.

new topics

top topics

join