It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have the landlord from hell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
My landlord is a terrible, terrible landlord.

I'm currently in a dispute. It involves illegal entry; repairs not done; etc etc.

I'm doing all the right things - though I'm withholding rent, it's in a bank account (as required by law), and I've filed every piece of paper necessary to support my various complaints; the housing authority is on my side on this one, apparently.

And still...

STILL...

Still the twit is harassing me. He seems to think leaving handwritten notes saying 'Get out NOW' qualifies as an eviction notice.

He seems to think banging on my door for 10 minute periods is a valid way of getting me to respond.

He seems to think he can try my door handles, trying to get in, without my permission.

He seems to think intimidating a single woman is going to win him points and get me to move out.

He seems to either ignore the law, or perhaps is just clueless? I actually had to point out what he'd have to do to evict me. He ranted, yelled, and actually approached me, physically. I explained the process to him (I even gave the number of the courthouse!). He said it was bs.

He yelled some more. Told me "You have to get out of the apartment NOW".

I just went back into the apartment and locked the door.

Next time? I'm calling 911.

He's a complete waste of a sperm.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Thats sounds rough. I've had my share of bad landlords.
Keep doing what you are doing and yes, call the police. You don't need that harassment.
Landlords like this think they are your lord and you must do what they say no matter what law it breaks.

Don't give up, stick to the book, and don't put up with harassment.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I actually ended up in court with a previous landlord and won....he was a total and utter arsehole and sounds like he could be the long lost brother of yours!

ring the police next time and let them deal with it, he will probably poop himself, he will almost certainly get told to sort the repairs out.

Good luck...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Thank you both - it's good to know I'm not the only one who's gone/going through this

He's a twit.

And you know there's a special circle in hell/wherever reserved for twittish landlords.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
aww poor tink, as the other two have said called the police and he wil have to back down beacuse he is in the wrong! it is very clear that he is one of those men who thinks they can push people around! well show him you cannot be pushed around and get him done.

good luck with it all,

oni x x

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Tinkle:

Do be careful sweetie. This guy sounds like he may be more a of a problem than just a bad landlord. Are you certain you are secure when you are in the apartment? Sounds to me like you might be in need of an order of protection.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thank you SO much for your support, guys

The building association want me to file harassment charges if he continues.

Yay.

And you're all right - I think I need to perhaps seriously consider filing a restraining order...

Oh, a day in the life of me lol

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Tinkle my sweet, super Boss Lady, as others have said - do please be very careful.

If this nut keeps on harrassing you, I would you use a solicitor to send him a very stiff letter.

If that does not do the trick, try going to a local court and get them to serve papers for harrassment.

Does he live in the same building as you? If he does, he may have the legal right to enter his property any time he sees fit. I think it depends on where you live - in the UK they do, but common courtesy dictates that he asks you to be present.

The 'Readers Digest' - You and Your Rights states: "A landlord may gain entry without your consent, to - Inspect the property, during reasonable hours, under the terms of the tenancy, according to the agreement."

"If the landlord enters at any other time, the tennant can sue him for trespass."

"Rent should be paid promptly, failure to pay within 21 days, is one of the main grounds for eviction. However, if the tennant pays all the arrears before the case comes to court, the landlord is unlikely to get a possession order but will probably be awarded costs."

If you live in the US, I'm not too sure where you stand, but I suggest you seek legal advice.

I hope dear Tinkle, this is of some use to you.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Do I have a terrible landlord?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes and you should probably do as many have advised and call the police next time. He is clearly harrassing you in a physical form by being menacing and invading your body space; not to mention his many intimidation threats and insults.

Do not tolerate any verbal abuse from this guy. If he does it next time and let's hope he doesn't, calmly pick up the phone or go the police station and file a police report.

Don't try to be a nice tinkle. This landlord is pushing you to see how far you will go. Call the cops and get them to handle it. They need to make this guy take you seriously.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
You're both right, yes.

Nik:

I think he has a small willy, too. There has to be a reason behind his utter failure in the social arena, and that's the most obvious

Fritzykitty:

The law here is a little different. He doesn't live on the property, and in this state he cannot enter the property at all without permission unless there's an emergency, or unless there's a legal reason and he hasn't been able to contact me to gain permission.

There's no legal reason - he just keeps trying the handle!!!

Now, even if there are grounds for eviction (technically yes, as I've withheld rent - albeit legally), there is a distinct and absolute legal process he has to follow, which is basically in place to protect both parties. He's not doing this - he just keeps hounding.

Now, I'm a nice Tinkle, for the most part.

But - and pun is absolutely intentional - I'm about to get reeeally pissy with him

(I love you guys, btw)

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wow, Tinkleflower, sounds pretty rough. One question though, do you really like the building your in? In light of the problematic situation, it may just be easier to move.

I know it would be like giving in to this horrible landlord, but you also need to think about yourself... Is the aggravation worth it?

Because even if you do prevail in this situation, it sounds like he will still be your landlord, and it sounds like he will still be giving you grief every chance he gets.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I feel guilty...my landlord brings me free food...
fair dues its the stuff that's reduced and needs to be eaten the same day, but its still free food to me

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
DC...no, I hate it

Ceiling leaks.
Lead paint is chipped.
Oven doesn't work.

I could go on...

I am moving though...so it's not all bad.

UKWiz - lucky bugger

top topics

join