It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pledge--God is just a "philosophical idea"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
I asked my son about this. At his school, they give detention to anyone who doesn't say the pledge, or if the teacher notices them faking it.

I told him don't say it if he doesn't want to, and I'll talk [threathen really] to them if he gets in trouble. Of course he won't, due to peer pressure. I'm tempted to file a suit to prohibit any consequences for failure to comply with the pledge regardless of 'under god'.

I doubt you'll need to file suit. Someone already did it for you in the 40's. The policy makers for your school should have no problem understanding the error they have made if you share this opinion with them.

A brief excerpt from the linked opinion:

Words uttered under coercion are proof of loyalty to nothing but self- interest. Love of country must spring from willing hearts and free minds, inspired by a fair administration of wise laws enacted by the people's elected representatives within the bounds of express constitutional prohibitions. These laws must, to be consistent with the First Amendment, permit the widest toleration of conflicting viewpoints consistent with a society of free men.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael_UO
I doubt you'll need to file suit. Someone already did it for you in the 40's. The policy makers for your school should have no problem understanding the error they have made if you share this opinion with them.

Fantastic! Thanks!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join