It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Christian School Expels Girl for Having Gay Parents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

All that matters here is the following:
1. A PRIVATE school has its own set of rules for allowing admission.
2. Those rules were broken.
3. The consequences were meted out.
4. End of story.

The fact that they have the legal right to do something doesn't mean other people dont have the right to see it in an unfavorable light.

I think they have a right to do what they did.
I also believe it was mean-spirited and churlish.
But that's pretty much what I expect from serious religious right types anyway.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Precisely, the people that run that company have every right in the world to be stupid bigots.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
The fact that they have the legal right to do something doesn't mean other people don’t have the right to see it in an unfavorable light.

Of course they have the right to be angry. Fat lot of good it will do them. Go ahead, says I, rage away; but, don't expect anything to come of it.

Furthermore, let me suggest this to all those who know the school was well within its rights; but, are angry about it anyway:

You can't always get what you want. Sorry. It is a FAIR decision (the school had well established policies). That the parents don't like it doesn't matter. And, while they have every right to stomp around and pout about it, to do so would be childish.

What sort of example are they setting? Again, I don't have a problem with lesbian parents. I don't think that's an issue at all.

That said, do they really think it worthy to teach their child to flout the rules, then throw a tantrum when caught? Wouldn't it be better to take their lumps and move on, and in the process teach a little lesson in sportsmanship.

All I smell here is sore loser, and it stinks.

I also believe it was mean-spirited and churlish.
But that's pretty much what I expect from serious religious right types anyway.

As for that, how ridiculous. Mean-spirited? Are you sure you don't mean, "in keeping with their established regulations"?

Geez, dude, it's not as if they called her fat.

Also, why is anyone who is a Christian or affiliated with Christianity considered "serious religious right types"? When did that happen? Do they all know? Are all Jews "serious religious right types" too, or is it just Christians? Did you examine their voting records?

Of course not.

You, like everybody else over there in angryland, have jumped to a conclusion based on YOUR PREDJUDICE.

And, guess what. That makes you just as spiteful or mean-spirited or just plain wrong as any "serious religious right types."

Who's bigoted now, my friend, cause it sounds like it's not just the school anymore.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I don't know what is meant by their definition of "Christian School" so I am not going to jump on the knee-jerk Bus and ride into town to storm the school with torches and pitchforks, but I'll say this; If the school incorporated Christian teaching into their curriculum, they should feel ashamed. The girl could really use such teaching to help her in her confusing situation.

In her confusing situation?

You should really meet a family with 2 parents of the same gender, Thomas, this kind of attitude towards gay parents is not acceptable.
Not if it's your attitude anyways.

I thought you knew better.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Machine and others who think like you have this coming,

Who the HELL do yopu think you are p[assing judgement on others, you so called "christians" are not so holy you are NOT above anyone else, its time you check your holier then thou attitude cause guess what you have no room to talk you hypocrite machine and those who "follow" you are the ones who have no morals and no guts. Machine you want a child to be punished for something the so called school says? you are as big a monster as the school officials and you should reread you r so called precious bible: do not judge least ye be judged yourself... I went to sunday school machine so I'm giving you the bible smack in your face yup I'm throwing the words back at you machine & those who will follow you. This holier then thou so called christian way isn't what was described in any bible. Oh don't you dare say you're any better then anyone machine cause someone will check your attitude and bring you back down to reality the hard way. You machine are no better then anyone and you are NOT a judge nor a god therefore you have nothing to say, this will go before the courts machine and don't think it won't and watch the judge rule in favor of the child which is already a forgone conclusion cause the school had no reason to make the "so called ruling" on the childf which there will damages collected on behalf of the child which will come out of that school enough to take the child all the way through college and there is nothing you can do about it machine cause there are people above you who says what is right or wrong and you have no say. The judges have final say and what they say goes there will be no overturn once the ruling comes down on the school cause if the school tries the childs lawyer will tie the case up in court to well into the next century making the school eventuallly give all its money to girl for its wrong words and wrong rules. The child will have a very very good lawyer I'm already coming up with names who would want this case and believe me machine its the kind who don't lose cases and are sharks when it comes to winning cases. I hope the school is prepared to fork over oh at least 1.8 million or more or in worst case scenario for the school closing its doors for good.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Intelearthling shut your bigoted mouth, you are sexist, immoral anal retentive misguided miswired inhuman person, I assure you there will be a case made by the childs parents, & I guarantee there will be a media frenzy on it and the judge will rule in favor of the child and the school will be made to pay out a huge UNDISCLOSED amount of money which will be more then enough to put the child all the way through that I know will happen, and guess what intel there isn't a thing you can do or say to change it from happening cause 1. you are NOT a god, and 2. you are NOT a judge ( as much as your feable brain may try to attempt) 3. you are NO one to judge anyone in any fashion. the child has a right to an education which the school WILL pay for after its all said and decided. I can't wait for the shark of a lawyer to chomp away at the school I can already estimate pretty much what will be awarded as the sum of money the child will get from the case, say enough to bankrupt the school. intel you are just as bigoted as machine you are just as not needed on here as machine with your one sided selfish, self centered, self abosorbed, homophobic closed mind.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I've been reading these posts and finally come to the conclusion that those who are against this school decision should maybe form a school where the children of alternative lifestyle guardians can be enrolled.

More hatred was spewed from the cons than the pros.

To all homos, both male and female: QUIT PUSHING YOURSELVES ON A HETERO SOCIETY! YOU'RE NOT NORMAL!

Wow, I didn't know we had "your kind" of people on ATS.
Just a question here intel, what should people who were born gay do?
I mean what would make you happy?

Would it make you happy if they just all committed suicide?
Or would it make you happy if they live alone all their lives and not know any intimacy or relationship?
Or would it make you happy to just push them out of society and not let them have the same things (marriage, children) that other people -who were lucky enough to be born straight- can have?

Well I have very good news for you, teenagers who find out they are gay often allready try to commit suicide, because of people like you...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisticDragon
Intelearthling shut your bigoted mouth, you are sexist, immoral anal retentive misguided miswired inhuman person,

I might not be a mod, but could we possibly keep this a resonable discussion that doesn't involve namecalling?

I assure you there will be a case made by the childs parents, & I guarantee there will be a media frenzy on it and the judge will rule in favor of the child and the school will be made to pay out a huge UNDISCLOSED amount of money which will be more then enough to put the child all the way through that I know will happen,

Actually I believe the article said that the parents would not challenge the school's decision. Instead they're taking the school's judgment and instead of putting the girl through a lot of stress, they're just moving on with life and putting her in a public school. No challenging the school, no lawsuit, no pressure on the girl.

And now I'd like to ask once again, just to be sure I get the point across, that we all please keep this discussion civil. Please.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Cyberdude is dead on, discuss the topic please, not each other. Decorum folks.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think there's a lot more agreement here than would appear on the surface. People have a right (stupid or otherwise) to associate with whom they please. The school had a policy (stupid or otherwise) that the parents violated. The school had a right (stupid or otherwise) to expel her based upon that policy. The point of costernation, for me at least, is that this is the type of thing that people point to and say "See, all those Christians are bigoted and hypocritical". I no more like to see that than see those hooded halfwits burning crosses and claiming to be Christian. So, yes the school's within its rights, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out on it. IMHO.

"Hey you can't be involved with our church, YOU SINNER! Whaddya think, we want to SAVE PEOPLE???"

It's like going to an AA meeting and not be allowed to participate because you're a drinker.

I'll go back to my original statement- She's better off.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The point of costernation, for me at least, is that this is the type of thing that people point to and say "See, all those Christians are bigoted and hypocritical". I no more like to see that than see those hooded halfwits burning crosses and claiming to be Christian. So, yes the school's within its rights, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out on it. IMHO.

Sorry, but I can't get behind this either. Again, why are people so quick to blame an organization for its established policies?

You don't have to believe in their faith. It may not even be Christian. Who are you and who am I to say what truly is or is not "Christian"? That doesn't make them halfwits, nor does it necesitate "calling them out."

Why should we call someone out for acting within their rights? It's stupid at best and hypocritical at worst.

It's like saying you hate Person A becuase they hate Person B. It's dumb. You both hate someone. Neither of you is any better. In this case, the school doesn't necessarily hate lesbians, they just don't agree with their lifestyle choices. And in this case, you don't like the school's choice. Regardless, to call for the "calling out" of the school is to be just as guilty of bigotry as you infer the school to be.

You can't have it both ways.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar

Sorry, but I can't get behind this either.

That's ok. You don't have to.

Again, why are people so quick to blame an organization for its established policies?

If an organization's not responsible for its own policies, who is?

You don't have to believe in their faith. It may not even be Christian. Who are you and who am I to say what truly is or is not "Christian"? That doesn't make them halfwits, nor does it necesitate "calling them out."

The Bible's the final word on that, I believe. Believe it or not, it's irrelevant to me. I have no problem with referring to hooded cross burners as "halfwits".

Why should we call someone out for acting within their rights? It's stupid at best and hypocritical at worst.

Maybe 'calling them out' was imprudent. Maybe "pointing it out" is better. This is a forum for discussion. That's what we're doing, is it not?

It's like saying you hate Person A becuase they hate Person B. It's dumb. You both hate someone. Neither of you is any better. In this case, the school doesn't necessarily hate lesbians, they just don't agree with their lifestyle choices. And in this case, you don't like the school's choice. Regardless, to call for the "calling out" of the school is to be just as guilty of bigotry as you infer the school to be.

Your opinion. I respect that. I just disagree. I don't think it's the same thing at all.

You can't have it both ways.

I'm not sure what you mean. You seem to have a commendable attitude. And we all draw lines. We're just drawing lines in different places. The school administration can do whatever it wants. I'm merely expressing my opinion. I'm intolerant of their intolerance, you're intolerant of mine. And around we go...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Also, why is anyone who is a Christian or affiliated with Christianity considered "serious religious right types"? When did that happen?

Actually most Christians I know (and I know quite a few) are decidedly not religious right types at all.

But the actions of the specific people running this school speak for themselves. Kick a little girl out of school because you don't approve of her monther's love life? Sounds like a fundamentalist to me...

Most Christians I know take Jesus' admonitions against judgementlism a little more to heart...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Again, why are people so quick to blame an organization for its established policies?

If an organization's not responsible for its own policies, who is?

Granted; but, that’s not quite what I meant (and I think you know that). Perhaps I should have written, “why are people so quick complain about a PRIVATE organization’s well-established policies—to the point of condemning and belittling said organization—in order to stand up for someone who has broken those policies? Why are we so quick to point fingers at everyone but ourselves. Why do we shift blame constantly?

Indeed, the organization is responsible for its own policies; but, yeahright, who is responsible for following those policies? That’s really the issue, isn’t it?

The Bible's the final word on that, I believe. Believe it or not, it's irrelevant to me. I have no problem with referring to hooded cross burners as "halfwits".

Believe away…wait, hold up…which Bible? The Latin Vulgate? The King James? The Good News? Do we include apocryphal books? Just the New Testament? I think you see the problem with a blanket statement like “The Bible’s the final word…”

I don’t have a problem with you referring to hooded cross-burners that way either. I am concerned about the inference made by immediately following this sentence with a reference to the school.”

Your opinion. I respect that. I just disagree. I don't think it's the same thing at all.

Fine.

I'm intolerant of their intolerance, you're intolerant of mine. And around we go...

Touchè.

Just to play devil’s advocate (on behalf of a Christian school, at that!), who are you to decide that their intolerance is wrong? I know it sounds stupid, but aren’t they, as a private entity, entitled to their intolerance? Furthermore, as Americans, aren’t they entitled to their religious beliefs, no matter how distasteful it may be to you or me? And, finally, do you know the mind of God (assuming God exists for the sake of this point—and Pascal’s wager suggests you should go along with me on this for a least the length of this point)? Do you know that God would not agree with this school’s actions?

They are silly questions, I know. But fun to play around with as well. Feel free to ignore them, yeahright. And you are right, this is a discussion, and I’ve certainly enjoyed the lucidity of yours.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar

Indeed, the organization is responsible for its own policies; but, yeahright, who is responsible for following those policies? That’s really the issue, isn’t it?

Yes it is. The comments are referencing opinions on those policies.

Believe away…wait, hold up…which Bible? The Latin Vulgate? The King James? The Good News? Do we include apocryphal books? Just the New Testament? I think you see the problem with a blanket statement like “The Bible’s the final word…”

Good, if irrelevant (in this context) point. The "Final Word" comment refers to "What is a Christian?" and I'll stand by the statement that the Bible in any iteration you care to use is the Word on that.

I don’t have a problem with you referring to hooded cross-burners that way either. I am concerned about the inference made by immediately following this sentence with a reference to the school.”

Fair enough. Concern noted.

Just to play devil’s advocate (on behalf of a Christian school, at that!), who are you to decide that their intolerance is wrong? I know it sounds stupid, but aren’t they, as a private entity, entitled to their intolerance? Furthermore, as Americans, aren’t they entitled to their religious beliefs, no matter how distasteful it may be to you or me? And, finally, do you know the mind of God (assuming God exists for the sake of this point—and Pascal’s wager suggests you should go along with me on this for a least the length of this point)? Do you know that God would not agree with this school’s actions?

Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs. I'm exercising my entitlement to opinion on their actions. I'll let God speak for himself. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't agree with their actions. I'm prepared to be wrong. BTW, I think Pascal would take Notre Dame and the points against Purdue Saturday. In the immortal words of Lee Corso, "Never bet against the Catholics."

They are silly questions, I know. But fun to play around with as well. Feel free to ignore them, yeahright. And you are right, this is a discussion, and I’ve certainly enjoyed the lucidity of yours.

Appreciate that. I always enjoy discourse with an intelligent person. Hey, it's the Internet. We're just goofin'.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I agree with you jakko 100% I fee;l the same way you do and to add to that I too have friends with alternate lifestyles and they are some pretty cool people among the nicest people I've ever as friends and I've also had a lesbian babysitter when I was a child and she was also a very very close family friend and in NO way did she corrupt me, she was really quite cool and into the same type of music I was ( prince, poison, etc.) I think the parents aught to bring a lawsuit against the school for defamation, slander, and bigotry, and sexist discrimination.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
another loaded question.good for the school.private schools get an a+++ for this.no softness on the issue.rules are good and this one stands above the crowd.......

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I think the parents aught to bring a lawsuit against the school for defamation, slander, and bigotry, and sexist discrimination.

There is no case

I really think a lot of you aren't getting this. The school requires that the parents of the child be living in a household that practices their christian faith, and at least one parent is an active church goer. I believe they would also preclude a child in a household if the heterosexual parent were cohabiting rather than married to the partner in the home. This does not exemplify their christian values.

It was wrong for the parents to enroll their child in this particular school, as they could never fit the criteria. There are plenty of good schools where this is not a criteria, but here it is. I think the fact that the parents have chosen not to argue the matter says it all.

So you can agree or disagree with what happened here, but the fact remains, private school, strict criteria for the parents as interpreted by this christian school for what is appropriate life style, take it or leave it. And no, as much as so many of you want to believe this, it doesn't mean they hate gays, they may just choose not to condone the lifestyle. There is a big difference.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Oh Relentless how can you even begin to say that???
First of all, a school has nothing to do with how, and by who, the children on this school are being raised.
Second, even IF they would not "hate gays" but just "condone the lifestyle" (which is really ridiculous as well) they SHOULD NOT punish the kid by sending her from school.

And last but not the least, claiming it's the fault of these parents for putting this girl on this school is just out of this world.
I presume that these mothers were not aware of the discriminating and utterly retarded "rules" that this school had.
You just do not expect someone like THIS.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Jakko]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I think the parents aught to bring a lawsuit against the school for defamation, slander, and bigotry, and sexist discrimination.

Please read this carefully!

They're allowed BY LAW to discriminate. A lawsuit would do no good (and shouldn't). They are a private organization. It's been said 50 times in this thread but some just aren't understanding it or something.

For these parents to sue this school for discrimination would be the same thing as parents suing a public school for not allowing a 'prayer time'.

Don't you see that that would be crossing the line between church and state that we're tenuously holding onto?

It's ok that you have all these moral judgments about them, I agree - it's morally wrong. But if we're allowed to legally impose our morals on them, then we've got to allow them (the Christians) to legally impose their morals on us! You don't want that, do you?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join