It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Files Suit To Stop Gun Seizures in NO, LA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Excerpted from:
www.nraila.org...

(Fairfax, VA) - Today, the National Rifle Association (NRA) filed a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana seeking a temporary restraining order to block authorities from confiscating law-abiding citizens’ firearms in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

“New Orleans is the first city in the United States to forcibly disarm peaceable law-abiding citizens and it must be the last. Victims are dealing with a complete breakdown of government. At a time when 911 is non-operational and law enforcement cannot respond immediately to calls for help, people have only the Second Amendment to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property,” said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

“The NRA stands with law-abiding Americans, who agree that at their most vulnerable moment, their right to defend themselves and their families should not be taken away,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist.

According to The New York Times, the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that “only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons.” ABC News quoted New Orleans’ deputy police chief, saying, “No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons.”

*Please visit link above for complete story*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good going, NRA! With stories like THIS now surfacing, how can it be that when citizens really need their guns, the government is going to take them away? With some law enforcement even committing crimes as in the story above, or deserting, the need for guns would be essential in a situation like that for sheer personal protection if nothing else.

With admittedly some citizens taking advantage of the situation by robbing, raping and even murdering at gunpoint, I can see the need for officials to protect themselves. But taking away everyone's guns is not the solution, as this leaves other law-abiding, decent people at the mercy of the bandit opportunists.

How would you feel if you'd just been through a viscious hurricane that wiped you out, even killed some of your family, only to have to face armed robbers and murders on the loose- and to make matters worse, now the government is going to take away your weapon, when you know your right to own that weapon is protected by the Constitution?
Time to die.

And I wonder if the government would even reimburse the owners for the weapon's fair market value? Yeah, right.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Nice post TA

I think it would be interesting to find out how many if any N.O residents have been killed for not giving up their guns...Wish I could find the article I read on the N.O. lawyer that flat out told the cops,National Guard,hired security..whichever the case may be..that the only way they would get his guns is in a firefight resulting in his death...Wonder if he still lives??

It is alot easier to kick in someone's door and force them to leave their home and everything that meant something to them if they aren't armed.

How are these people suppose to defend there homes and the very lives of themselves and their family without anything to defend with???

Like someone said in another thread here...Would quote you if I knew who said it..sorry..

When they come for your guns give them the ammo first.

Simon

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Thanks Simon!

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux
When they come for your guns give them the ammo first.

lol, never quite heard that one in all my years.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Some people i talk to come up with excuses for this BS, one being, (Well, the guy was under alot of pressure to get things straightened out down there, and he wasnt thinking about the consitution)

Ok I will go with that, but where was the guy above him thats supposed to tell him he cant do that?
Why was the State Government not questioning this illegal order?
Why was the Federal Governement not questioning this illegal order?
Why was the Aministration, not questioning this illegal order?
Why was the Mainstream Media who usualy eats this stuff up, not questioning this illegal order?

They all went along with it, because we all know the government knows whats best, so we better not question it..

/looks to sig.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
All very good questions, C0le. YEAH, why weren't they. Well, late is better than never, if late ever comes.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It is nice to see a few organizations (CNN, NRA) find their balls and stand up to blatant unconstitutional actions by feds, state and local authorites.

I think this sort of thing (gun siezures) is going to make normally law-abiding folks think twice about buying guns through legal avenues. Why give the authorities a record of where to come and take your firearms?

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
NRA won in court...They have to stop taking the guns.

www.nraila.org...

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Great news =)

The courts seem to like making examples out of your small time petty law breakers, how about making an example of the constitution infringing sob who gave the order.....

[edit on 25-9-2005 by C0le]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
THANK YOU simon so much for that update! Victory! That makes me very happy. Someone up there musta dusted off ye old document and actually read it.

Although now that I think about it, there is probably a good chance it will get overruled from higher up.

[edit on 25-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
THANK YOU simon so much for that update! Victory! That makes me very happy. Someone up there musta dusted off ye old document and actually read it.

Although now that I think about it, there is probably a good chance it will get overruled from higher up.

[edit on 25-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

Welcome TA....as soon as I read it I came here to post it...thought y'all would wanna see it

As for the overruling part of it...gotta think positive bud...good to see there are some organizations out there still willing to stand up and go to bat for us.

COle I would like to see the person responsible for this to be punished...but to what extent?Could that be seen as a crime of treason?I would believe so...But the question is..Who ordered the the guns taken away?In a time when there are none of those who protect us from harm and you are responsible for you and yours the only line of defense you have is to be taken away from you! If they were doing a forced evacuation and noone was to be left in the city why did they need to take the guns?If they get to a house and the people are refusing to go,don't they have that right?Could it just be explained to them that well..Sir/Maam do you realize that your health and life are in danger stayin in the city??If the person answers yes and still refuses to go ...leave them be...why risk the chance of a shootout resulting in deaths?On the other hand if children are involved I would agree making them leave.

Sorry I didn't really plan on saying that much.

Simon

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I wonder how many guns were actually taken. With all the rumours and BS floating around I have a feeling this is also a hoax. I sure some guns were taken from people roaming the streets and no permit. Also anyone attempting to enter evacuation centers would have been told to check fireares at the door. I have heard reports of guns being taken and locked up where the house was empty or the people were evacuating. It's a military operation, you can't have citizens carring guns. I'm sure some will be able to retrieve the weapons when this is over.

Look up Martial Law and see what is permitted.

In the neighboring Jefferson Parish it is still permissible to have firearms in your home and to carry if you have a permit. The person who sat on his porch with his and his neighors shotguns and pistols was in Gretna of Jefferson Parish. I'm sure he's sitting at home, lights on and his 30-O-6 locked and loaded. Lets be reasonable about this kind of stuff. I support the right to the posession of arms but I also understand that you have to yeild to enforcement in times of emergency. If you cooperate, the sheriff may have you an rifle and say lets go get some bad guys.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
AlabamaCajun,
I don't know if you checked the source, but that came directly off the NRA's website, and I was led to it by another site carrying the article. It is not a hoax. Martial law may not permit it, but if that was the case, then why didn't this happen in Florida during the storms when Jeb Bush declared martial law? I heard no such stories of government intent to disarm the general populace, and yet I did hear stories of looting.

Now granted, it may not have been as bad as NO and Katrina. But even so, IMO it still does not give the government the right to disarm law-abiding citizens who at that juncture need to protect themselves and their family the most.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun
I wonder how many guns were actually taken. With all the rumours and BS floating around I have a feeling this is also a hoax.

Since you seem to have missed this, here is a link to a video showing at least one gun confistication:

www.prisonplanet.com...

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's amazing how powerful the NRA is.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips

It's not the NRA that is powerful... it's the Constitution and our Bill of Rights that is powerful.

Remember, those protected by the Constitution are just that... protected. With the Constitution on our side, just think of what we can do.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
still, i find it quite shocking that the NRA had no difficulty whatsoever in blocking gun control legislations after appeals for them following the Columbine Shootings
it just proves that America is a complete plutocracy, any group that has the money and connections can determine what happens within the country, and their voices smother those who dont have the sufficient funds and have to resort to court rulings & demonstrations in the streets to be heard, & then again...

& before anyone points towards cases like Brown vs. Topeka & Roe vs. Wade etc.
how long do you have to go back to find these cases,
50/30 years?

Originally posted by Infoholic

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips

It's not the NRA that is powerful... it's the Constitution and our Bill of Rights that is powerful.

Remember, those protected by the Constitution are just that... protected. With the Constitution on our side, just think of what we can do.

and to add to that
who decides what the constitution means?

...THE SUPREME COURT
whose rulings determine all American legislation and policy

top topics

join