It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

podcast killed the thread-discussion star.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I do understand your 'mini-rant' about PODcasting. I've been spending a lot more time recording and playing around with that than writing lately...

Originally posted by lost
I hope he/she knows its all in good fun.

It's 'she'. I know that because I listened to her PODcast!

All in all, once I have the necessary software, you might find some random musings and/or audio creations of mine in BTS too.

Audacity is a free download and it's what I use. Easy. If you want help, you can U2U me.

I'm not preaching the religion of PODcasting, but it's a lot easier than people might think. My 'microphone' is an old telephone headset.

I would never give up the written word, though. I sound a lot more intelligent (I think) in writing than on PODcasts. Nothing fueling the ego there. I do like putting the music out there, though. That was my first draw. I guess ego is involved there.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost
ok, i know im just being whiny -because the podcast makes ATS more versatile and exciting, but for those of us without recording capabilities (as of yet) -well, ATS has been rather dead the last couple of months.

Have to jump in here and give my 2 cents on this.

I too agree that seems to be the case. Lots of POD casts with less written input is not good.

Not everyone has a cable modem so I sure feel for those in outlying areas who can only connect to their isp at 2400 baud will not be happy and perhaps move on to another site

Do not get me wrong POD casts can play a good part on ATS, but that should be reservered for interviews. As it is now we see one POD cast answering another POD cast which I do think will take more memory from the server, although I am not sure that is a true fact, it is just my assupmtion that audio files take more space thus slowing down ATS more then it has already slowed since pod casts came on line

And now back to your normal speedy text channel

Just had to vent my thoughts on the issue, since I agree in part with "lost"

[edit on 9/23/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
ATS currently has 1,198,904 posts; there won’t be a shortage of text to read for a looooog time.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
If you find you don't like it, there's always alternatives...

Now - While I wasted everyone's time with my little 44-second intro
, I still thought it was fun to finally slap one up there and be able to say I did it...

Was it expected of me? Certainly not...

I find that you get more conviction out of hearing someone voice their opinion rather than reading copious amounts of text...But then again, I've always been an audio book kind of guy

I guess one could say it's a hit-or-miss, love it or hate it type deal....But whatever your opinion, you have to admit that it still twists things up and makes the old seem new again...

The possibilities really are endless - We've even just begun using them among staff and council to better help channel our thoughts and ideas to one another - And I must admit that it makes a difference...

But if a decline in posting is your primary concern, I think you can rest easy....The forums are alive and well, and shall remain so for......ever!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Gotta pipe in here, I'm a tech dinosaur, I still haven't figured the Podcasts out as far as doing one BUT I'm totally enjoying listening to them, seems like you get closer to the thought behind the thought.

You're ahead of me. I neither have listening capability nor podcasting ability.

Hopefully I'll have it in the near future. I'm sure it is a much richer experience listening to someone & responding to their podcast.

I've got plenty of ego to boot when the time comes for me do a podcast. Just kidding!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
PodCasts, Yet another Con, for good measure.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hi there, how do you mean ATS discussion's been dead the last couple of months? And, through my great computer, but a lack of how to use it, what has POD casts to do with "lack of ATS discussion"?

Dallas

EDIT: Correction of spelling

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Dallas]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Where's Trevor Horn When You Need Him?

I love the thread title, but I don't think we need to worry about ATS becoming like MTV.

As many of my fellow members may already know, I'm somewhat enamored of podcasts, and I do think they are revolutionizing ATS.

However, I don't consider them a substitute for the discussion forums, but rather another option for ATSers looking for ways to express themselves and share their opinions with the community.

As has already been mentioned, audio cannot be text-searched or text-quoted for rebuttal, and its very nature precludes any likely change in that fact for some time -- although voice recognition technology might be used to scan and loosely transcribe podcasts, which is something I may research later.

The major change podcasts bring to ATS is in the tone and nature of the discussion. Being able to hear each other's voices is an amazingly effective antidote for so much of the poison that seeps into our debates.

Certainly, podcasts aren't for everyone. The circumstances of ATSers vary widely from member to member.

But for those members who can hear them, and those who can make them, podcasts offer yet another innovative way for ATSers to come closer together as a community while preserving our sense of individuality and commitment to the principles each of us chooses to independently adhere to, whatever they may be.

With regard to the notion of ATS becoming less active over the past couple of months due to podcasting, I think it's only fair to point out that podcasting has only been active on ATS for about a month. So if podcasting is causing problems that are two months old, then I recommend harnessing its ability to affect future events for the good of mankind.

And with that said, I am not seeing any sort of problems over the past two months anyway, other than a welcome and long overdue reduction in flame wars.

Here's hoping podcasts might somehow help keep that trend going.

Since I love irony, I might well make a podcast about this.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yes, I Love Irony

I love it ever so much!

The podcast file: www.podtrac.com...

The associated thread (autogenerated by the podcasting code) is here, but I recommend keeping text posts in this thread .

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Yes, I Love Irony

I love it ever so much!

The podcast file: www.podtrac.com...

The associated thread (autogenerated by the podcasting code) is here, but I recommend keeping text posts in this thread .

Dude, love you to pieces, but what in God's name took six and a half minutes to respond to this topic? (length: 06:24)

Unless you were trying to prove the point of the original complainer that podcasts are merely a self masturbatory eyesore to everyone else, I can't imagine, but I suppose I will have to... because I'm not clicking on it!

Oh the irony.

I honestly believe a healthy contingent of the netiverse has elected to not be a part of podcasting and their decision should be respected. They've now been adequately educated on how to do it, so it's not a matter of ignorance or even stubbornness at this point. They just think it's bone jarringly stupid. And no amount of links in their topic to 10 minute nose picking sessions is going to change that perception.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally pro-cool stuff which includes podcasting. But it's affecting my organizational disorder with the potential for bleed over, and the constant perception of "pushing" by an equally miffed element that thinks it's "taking over" is starting to get to me with their how dare you not drop everything and click my link immediately.

So yes, I also recommend keeping text ONLY posts in this thread as well as every other thread not a podcasting thread. No links to podcasting "replies." None of that anywhere, at any time, except where it goes.

Grumble, grumble. More grumbling. Mad. A little better. Okay. All fine.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
O.K. great. But what's really going on with POD casts? And is SkepticOverlord still with us Rant?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Of course he is. What in the world? Huh? There's no pod conspiracy. Ah, what I have done.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Underlying Conspiracy

Why oh why is he called RANT? I remain mystified.

Of course, how self-indulgent a podcast may be is a subjective matter, but if you were to listen to the podcast itself, I think you would find that particular choice of words ironic.

For those who don't want to bother with listening to the podcast, basically, I didn't say anything in it that couldn't be expressed with one of my typical 3000-word posts.

And hey, maybe I am illustrating RANT's point more aptly than I can even begin to know.

Or is he illustrating mine?

We report, you decide.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
LMAO
That was a LONG Poddy Break..

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Nothing RANT that I know of. Just wanted straight answers -- I went to you. No timing answers or anything it's aswers I was looking for. Sooner or later SO will appear.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Attack Of The Pod People

While I'm a big fan of podcasting, and have been experimenting with connections between existing forums and the podcast forum, I think the nature of the beast is such that it would be best to keep podcasts "on the reservation" in general, at least for now.

As one staff member put it, we have a podcast forum already, and yes, it is sensible to remember that.

Podcasts are not a panacea, and for every communication problem a podcast may solve, it can introduce new ones.

Conclusion: Come to podspace if and when you want to. Meanwhile, it is probably best for podcasters not to inject podcasts into the non-podcast forums except in very special circumstances, and even then not without a text-only alternative.

For now, anyway.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
hello again. Back from the weekend.

2-Dallas, I didnt mean ATS was dead, rather like RANT stated, that some of us more stubborn members didnt quite feel like jumping on the podcast bandwagon, even though we've been educated on how etc..

For myself atleast, I came to ATS as usual - after checking MyATS to find most of my subscribed threads exactly how I left them - then I would come to the main forum page and find all the big current threads to be typical newbie stuff like, "Masons rule the world!"

yeah, I know its not dead, just a bit frustrating if you dont want to jumble through all the new podcast stuff.

2-Majic, well I couldnt help myself, and I actually clicked your link. (blaspheme!) It was actually pretty cool hearing you say my name, "lost" -it was alive and real, and you sang the song too, so hooray. I guess podcasts arent all that bad, as long as my ego gets a little rub too...

2-everyone else, thanks for the input.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by lost]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Just to put in my $.02, I have enjoyed podacsting very much so far, and all of the points that Majic, BH, and others have brought forth are quite true, IMO. Will it replace the boards? No way.

I am still as active on the boards, although I must admit getting into one of the most meaningful (to me) conversations I have been in since becoming a member at ATS. Where? On a podcast.

Yeah, there's a problem with it: namely, dialup users, who don't want to wait for downloads. But I'd like to think that podcasters will in the future take this into consideration as best they can by limiting bitrates and content to the least amount possible for achieving a given point. Majic, take note.
(Just kidding man)

As to ATS podcast content, it didn't take long for me to realize that the vision for them was to correspond with the forum topics, and SkepticO confirmed this in a recent podcast. For that reason I have tended to stay out of introduction podcast threads. I think if everyone did one, we'd have way too many to sift through, even though they are enjoyable to listen to sometimes. And besides, it seems to me that ATS members want quality, in-depth content on specific subject matter, so even better if podcasts can correspond to specific forum subject matter.

For everything else like music and chat on less conspiratorial subjects, there is BTS, a place I find myself hanging out more and more. If you don't want podcast content, simply unsubscribe to the podcast forums in MyATS.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join