It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bible Textbook for Public Schools Planned

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
sure, just as soon as we're "one nation, under Allah, with liberty and justice for all".

Fortunately, the pledge carries no weight of law. Hence we are not one nation under god.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
I suggest Holy Qu'ran to be Next - so that it's a Fair Deal!

OR is Holy Bible More important?

IF there is a Class about Religions, let there be a WORLD Religion Class, not focused on Christianity only.

sure, just as soon as we're "one nation, under Allah, with liberty and justice for all".

You Know that Allah means God in Arabic, right?

So - what's the Difference between Your and Their God?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You know that is the truth all the religions in the world has one common ground they all believe in One creator, god, Allah whatever name they give it.

But here in the US we have two, God and the christ

I guess we can not be like everybody else.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
You know that is the truth all the religions in the world has one common ground they all believe in One creator, god,

Uhm. No they don't. Some don't believe in gods at all, some accept multiple gods. Monotheism appears to be a fairly recent innovation likely influenced by the formation of nation-states.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I suggest Holy Qu'ran to be Next - so that it's a Fair Deal!

OR is Holy Bible More important?

IF there is a Class about Religions, let there be a WORLD Religion Class, not focused on Christianity only.

You Know that Allah means God in Arabic, right?

So - what's the Difference between Your and Their God?

My god doesnt promise me 70 waiting virgins if I kill myself in his "name". My god says things like: Thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt honor thy parents. You know...things like that. Ya GOD forbid we teach our kids morals. Teach em how to use condoms, sure, but MORALS? Are you crazy???????

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

My god doesnt promise me 70 waiting virgins if I kill myself in his "name". My god says things like: Thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt honor thy parents. You know...things like that. Ya GOD forbid we teach our kids morals. Teach em how to use condoms, sure, but MORALS? Are you crazy???????

So - what does YOUR God Teach You?

How to Molest and Rape Little Choir boys?

How to Protect Pedophiles in Church?

That's Fine by "Your God" huh?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
What about a book on ancestor worship?

I think Shintoism ought to get fair play as well.

What about a book on hero worship?

Oh wait, they have comic books already.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Having some issues there, huh, Souljah?

Just take a towel roll it up and put it between your teeth.
Ya wouldn't want to break your teeth while gritting them that hard.

[edit on 9/24/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think its great and all schools should allow the bible in school. As in the article, it's to be used for literary and historic purposes.

The bible has nothing to do with religion, and people spouting its religion have no understanding of the word. You can have bible without religion, you can have christianity without religion. All religion is, is a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. Bible bashers with little to no reading comprehension love to toss these buzzwords around "religion", "christian fundamentalist" like they actually know what they mean, when in most cases they do not. Now fundamentalist is usually a movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views.

So in actuality, those spouting it's religion or it's fundamentalist are in fact fundamentalist themselves by its very definition. Nobody is teaching religion or fundamentalism to the students. As the article states, to be used as a literary and historic purpose. But regardless of what anyone says, people will start screaming at top of their lungs its religion!!! or its fundamentalist!!! when they themselves don't even understand the very words they throw around and are the exact thing they hate according to them, they are the fundamentalist and intolerant of others.

Students should be allowed to study the bible, and any other texts, historic or literary, to further advance their education and to give them a broader view on the world and its history.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Ohhh....so lemme get this right, its OK to rip on catholics since a few did some REALLY horrible things, but if I assume the BLACK RACE is a bunch of murderous, theiving liars, I'm a racist?

How dare you sit there and spout # like that. 6 out of 10 black males will serve time in a prison. Shall we teach our kids THAT, SOULjah? Please. Typical response from a hypocrit. Very impressive.

I guess, as I said before, morals are not to be taught anywhere.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Ohhh....so lemme get this right, its OK to rip on catholics since a few did some REALLY horrible things, but if I assume the BLACK RACE is a bunch of murderous, theiving liars, I'm a racist?

How dare you sit there and spout # like that. 6 out of 10 black males will serve time in a prison. Shall we teach our kids THAT, SOULjah? Please. Typical response from a hypocrit. Very impressive.

I guess, as I said before, morals are not to be taught anywhere.

We have this thing in our country called racial profiling.

I dont think I've ever heard of catholic profiling.

And Catholics did much more than a few bad things. The Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades are two things that come to mind.

And morals are supposed to be taught AT HOME, that's your job AS A PARENT. If you can't do that, don't complain that the school system isn't doing it for you because you are simply a failure as a parent and that's your own fault.

Ya GOD forbid we teach our kids morals. Teach em how to use condoms, sure, but MORALS? Are you crazy???????

About condoms. The places in the US where we have abstinence only sex education (the Bible belt) are also the places where there is the most teenage pregnancy. Think about that for a second...

Originally posted by Cito
I think its great and all schools should allow the bible in school. As in the article, it's to be used for literary and historic purposes.

The bible has nothing to do with religion, and people spouting its religion have no understanding of the word. You can have bible without religion, you can have christianity without religion. All religion is, is a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. Bible bashers with little to no reading comprehension love to toss these buzzwords around "religion", "christian fundamentalist" like they actually know what they mean, when in most cases they do not. Now fundamentalist is usually a movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views.

So in actuality, those spouting it's religion or it's fundamentalist are in fact fundamentalist themselves by its very definition. Nobody is teaching religion or fundamentalism to the students. As the article states, to be used as a literary and historic purpose. But regardless of what anyone says, people will start screaming at top of their lungs its religion!!! or its fundamentalist!!! when they themselves don't even understand the very words they throw around and are the exact thing they hate according to them, they are the fundamentalist and intolerant of others.

Students should be allowed to study the bible, and any other texts, historic or literary, to further advance their education and to give them a broader view on the world and its history.

So you dont think the children raised by fundamentalists are going to start trying to spout the "truth" of the bible and start trying to convert their fellow students?

I think you're a bit confused as to what the word fundamentalism means, let me clarify for you:

fun·da·men·tal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fnd-mntl-zm)
n.
A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
Adherence to the theology of this movement.

Next time you're thinking of accusing people of not knowing the definition of a word, please look it up before hand.

Guess what? America has this principle...seperation of church and state. Public schools are state sponsored, which is why you cant have a class devoted to a specific religion. The same reason why school vouchers are unconstitutional, because of the potential for state funds being spent on parents sending their children to non-secular institutions. And Bible class is the same as Christianity class, dont try and tell me that by teaching the bible you are also not teaching Christianity because that's simply not true. No matter which way you cut it you're still teaching Christianity, even if it is the "literary and historic purposes" of the Bible, you're still teaching the Bible.

Your statement "you can have Christianity without religion" is very ignorant sounding. Please explain what you mean by this. I was under the impression that Christianity is a religion.

Also, could you explain what you mean by "The bible has nothing to do with religion"?

[edit on 24-9-2005 by ShakyaHeir]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

You know...things like that. Ya GOD forbid we teach our kids morals. Teach em how to use condoms, sure, but MORALS? Are you crazy???????

You are not possible be talking of the moral lesson that the bible teach in the old testament do you?

Or the way that the early church twisted the moral teachings of the "Son of God" to benefit their Christian agenda? Right?

Have you seen the morality of the bible in the old testament?

And eye for an eye.

How about the spread of Christianity in the new world teaching the morality of the bible while decimating the natives and slavering people.

The crusades are another good example of the morality of religion and how can be used to destroy and conquer.

Oh, I am sorry, we are talking about modern times, morality now serves another purpose.

I wonder if mom and pop will be happy to have their children learn how Solomon killed a man so he could sleep with his wife.

Great moral lesson.

Or when The God of Abraham instructed his chosen people to seek destroy and conquer other nations and to kill any male, women and male child in site, girls were spared to become slaves.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
The bible has nothing to do with religion, and people spouting its religion have no understanding of the word. You can have bible without religion, you can have christianity without religion.

No you can't. I'm not going to sit by idly while you attempt to redefine the word "religion". The Bible is a religious book. Christianity in all its various forms is religion. If you remove all the religious aspects, you no longer have christianity (which is focused on Christ).

Even as a moral code you can not extract religion from the Biblical moral code (whatever you claim it may be).

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Going through this thread a few times has shown me exactly why it isn't a fit subject for public schools. Everybody has their own slant and is immensely driven to spend time to drive that slant home to anyone who'll listen.

Now, take the dozen or so views given just on this thread alone and multiply it by 100,000 and you'll have every public school teachers' slant as well, driven home to 40 times that many school children.

Religion belongs to the institutions of religion, seminaries. There, teachers who actually have the skinny on the religion they teach can educate people who are interested in becoming ministers who, in turn, teach congregations.

What is wrong with that idea?

I have only 1 question...how is a good Baptist,Jewish or Catholic family going to feel about their kids getting taught Evangelical Christianity by a teacher who has been an active participant in a Wiccan coven for the last 20 years? Think it can't happen? How about a card carrying Satanist who carries a photo of Anton LaVey in his wallet? How will an atheist teacher portray it all to little Billy and Sue?

Or even me, a Deist/Pantheist...do you think I'll put my slant on it if I was teaching your kids. I probably couldn't help myself.

What are they going to do...start winnowing out any teacher that doesn't have the same religious values as whoever is in government this term?

I know...why not just clone Pat Robertson and have a 'Pat Army' teach the kids of America...

crazy, man...

peace out

[edit on 24-9-2005 by masqua]

[edit on 24-9-2005 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If kids want to read the bible they can go to church, as a kid myself I dreaded going to church nothing was more yawn inspiring than the sermons they give.

So which interpretation of the bible shall they be using today?

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Going through this thread a few times has shown me exactly why it isn't a fit subject for public schools. Everybody has their own slant and is immensely driven to spend time to drive that slant home to anyone who'll listen.

Excellent point masqua!!
Religion in public schools, in any form, would only be a distraction. I want my kids to learn about science, math language, and history. Religion falls under none of those catgories. Keep God in church or your homes. He is not needed in taxpayer funded public schools. If I wanted my kids to learn about God I would send them to church or to a parochial school.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join