It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa allowed to Buy Soyuz!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am proud of my country for the first time in a long time in international relations.
I am sooo gald we swalloed our pride and will now buy and thus reward the Russian space program by purchasing the Soyuz. I thought my country may have grown to arrogant to do something smart like this and basically admit that Russia got it right!

I will be one of the first to congatulate the Russian people on a job well done.

Sentate clears NASA to buy Soyuz Spacecraft!

Maybe we can move this along and Develope a Joint CEV and go to moon and mars together.

X

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Maybe we can move this along and Develope a Joint CEV and go to moon and mars together.

The Soyuz would be used for just 1 or 2 years, from the time the shuttle retires till the CEV enters service.

The Russian would just love that, piggy-back on our glory. When we landed on the Moon we planted an American flag, and when we go back we will do the same. And guess what we will plant on Mars...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
The Soyuz would be used for just 1 or 2 years, from the time the shuttle retires till the CEV enters service.

If the US has any sense they will also use the very reliable Soyuz whilst they modify the very unreliable shuttle.

The Russian would just love that, piggy-back on our glory.

Hows that?

The US has finally admitted that the Russians have the better spacecraft.
We have all known this for years but only now have they swallowed their pride and allowed NASA to purchase from them, so rather than the Russians 'piggy-backing' on US glory, the US will be piggy-backing on the more reliable Russian technology!

When we landed on the Moon we planted an American flag, and when we go back we will do the same. And guess what we will plant on Mars...

If the US dont sort out there space program you wont be seeing a US flag on Mars before another Nation!

I wouldnt be surprised if Europe, Russia or China beat the US to Mars

Mic

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I say we should be doing whatever it takes to get off this freaking rock.

We have to start thinking long term and I mean looooonnnngggg term. The only way our civilization is going to survive is if we expand off planet. Eventually we're going to have to; if just for population sake.

I'm not saying any of us are going to live to see extra-solar colonies or anything, but perhaps our grandchildren's grandchildren will and by that time I would assume some sort of global identity to have set in and all these differences whether social or political won't even exist by then.

Baby steps now will eventually lead to running...hopefully without scissors.

Considering it's the distant future it would probably be some form of nuclear powered scissors with high level a.i. and that could really be dangerous.

Spiderj

[edit on 9/26/2005 by Spiderj]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The problem I have with NASA is why can't they recreate their own Gemini or Apollo craft? Essentially the new CEV will be like that. And these vehicles are way less complicated to design and build as compared to the shuttle. And they say "oh this will take a few years". That is total BS!!

These guys are stalling. Typical NASA bureaucracy, "let's reinvent the wheel".

The Russians never replaced their vehicle because of simple economics, but they made do with what they had. I'm sure if we were still using the other craft, we would be in the same boat with a very reliable platform as well.

Who's been to the Air and Space museum in Washington DC and seen those craft on display? They are tin cans. A Hummer H1 has more room.
So compared to the shuttle, they are super dinky. An automotive plant could crank out a thousand in under a year, easily.

What we didn't learn lessons on how to fly those craft back in the day???
So we have to do it again?

After seeing those craft in person, it absolutely amazes me, it took the chinese so long to get a man into space, and the japanese or anybody else for that matter have still yet to pull it off. Amazing. All they had to do was go to the museum and see them in person, a few engineers could take it from there without actually laying their hands on anything. Unreal.

Put it this way, a volunteer effort could put one together faster than NASA and still meet all their criteria.

Don't tell me they have to make a new rocket. That's BS too. These things would never be as heavy as the shuttle, especially using the more modern materials. There are spy satellites that are bigger and heavier than these capsules.

Unbelievable retards.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Ah now we can finally get back to building the ISS. The European Space Agency's laboratory module Columbus has been ready to go up for awhile.

O wait the Soyuz rocket cant lift it into space infact nothing other the shuttle can lift a majority of the stations larger componets in space.

Well those rockets will still be good for supply missions

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Ah now we can finally get back to building the ISS. The European Space Agency's laboratory module Columbus has been ready to go up for awhile.

O wait the Soyuz rocket cant lift it into space infact nothing other the shuttle can lift a majority of the stations larger componets in space.

Well those rockets will still be good for supply missions

Columbus Launch Mass is 12,800 KG.

www.esa.int...

The Russian Proton rocket has a maximum lift capability of over 20 metric tons.

www.russianspaceweb.com...

More than enough for Columbus, and a boost rocket.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

The bill was introduced Sept. 15 by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) to provide temporary relief from provisions in the Iran Nonproliferation Act of 2000 that bar U.S. purchases of Russian human spaceflight hardware as long as Russia continues to help Iran in its pursuit of nuclear know-how and advanced weapons technology.

The title of the thread is almost mis-leading.

It was congress that was not allowing NASA to buy Soyuz flights.

They flip-flopped rather than sit on the ground watching the space station...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

Columbus Launch Mass is 12,800 KG.

www.esa.int...

The Russian Proton rocket has a maximum lift capability of over 20 metric tons.

www.russianspaceweb.com...

More than enough for Columbus, and a boost rocket.

Weight is one thing being able to fit it inside the craft is another. The Soyuz lacks the raw cargo space of the shuttle, One good thing about the shuttle is it had a huge cargo bay.

The proton's KM-4 stage (which holds it cargo) is 2.50 m in Diameter, The Diameter of the columbus is 4.487 m
You cant strap Columbus to the side of a proton rocket. It is somewhat important that it fit inside the rocket.

top topics

join