It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSDN Now Supports FireFox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Naturally, I have to go download another operating system for testing our software on, and MSDN revamped their site so I spend about 30 minutes looking for the product downloads for MSDN subscribers. Think this is the third or fourth time they've done that this year. Maybe it's to discourage stable products on Windows so MacroSuck® can say, "See? Others are worse than us!" But then, that's more conspiracy bs that I'm really capable of believing

As I was searching through the site for the downloads, I came across an article explaining that MSDN was now supported by FireFox. This, I thought, was good news! I don't use explorer, and no one in my company even has access to IE unless they know the workaround. Unfortunately, I had to know the workaround since I have to go onto MSDN a lot, and they didn't support FireFox (a far better product, as most open source products tend to be). So I read part of the article. The author seems to be in charge of the download center of MSDN. He says he was hit with requirements that the download center must be supported on FireFox and Opera. Shocked, he questions management because, "only .5% of those trying to download are doing so from one of these platforms." No %$#@, Sherlock! It doesn't work on FireFox!!! I was part of that .5% once, then complained about the monopolistic mannerisms of MacroSuck, opened Windows Explorer and typed in MDSN's URL and downloaded the stuff I needed.

So yeah, that was my rant, but also an interesting lesson in rhetoric. Microsoft makes something incompatible with FireFox or some other competing product. Then, because no one who has that competing product goes to that site, they justify the move by saying...You guessed it, no one with that competing product goes there so why should they change it?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Microsoft lied. That or there's a major bug in their system that causes it to do exactly what it used to. I just went to download an OS for testing, and decided to use FireFox since...Well, it's a heck of a lot better than IE. Sure enough, the page breaks when you press the Download Now button.

...User Error...I tried to save what came up, but if I just ran it, it opened Microsoft's download manager and started downloading it just fine...

[edit on 9-29-2005 by junglejake]

new topics

join