It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The idiots guide to podcasting.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The idiots guide to podcasting

This last week I checked into podcasting for the first time. I thought it was great and decided I’d like to make a podcast of my own. The only problem was I didn’t know how. I read several sites that talked about RSS scripting and stuff and to be honest, it looked really difficult.

After several days of wading thru crap I finally realized that podcasting is a very simple thing to do. All you need is to download a couple of free programs and your pretty much set up to podcast. I’m going to walk you thru the process and you’ll see for yourself how simple it really is.

Part one: What you will need.

It pretty much goes without saying your going to need a computer with an Internet connection. This is an idiots guide however so I thought I’d point that out.

You will also need a microphone. This is essential. You can talk to your computer all day long but without this piece of equipment it cannot hear you. The good news is you don’t need an expensive microphone. The one I’m using costs less then ten bucks at Wally world.

Next you will need to download two programs. The first is called Audacity and the second is the Lame library. Both are free and you can get them at the following links:

Audacity

Lame library

Once the programs are downloaded unzip the Lame library and remember where you unzipped it to. You will need this information later. Write it down.

Now install the Audacity program.

That’s it. Were ready to make our first podcast. Lets move on to the next part of the guide.

Part two: Your first podcast.

Open the Audacity program. On the upper left side of the program is the record button (it’s a little red circle). Click on it and start talking. You are now recording your first podcast for the entire world to hear. The squiggly lines are not your heart going into arrhythmia; they are the patterns of your voice. Two buttons to the right of the record button is the stop button (a little yellow square) click on that to stop the recording. Now click on the green arrow to hear your first podcast.

If yours was anything like mine then it totally sucked. That’s ok though, were still learning. In the upper left hand corner you will see the edit button, click on it and scroll down to “Undo record” and click on it. Now you can start over.

Now comes the really tough part, you need to think of your introduction to podcasting on ATS. Figuring out what you want to say is one hell of allot harder then actually making a podcast. I’ll leave this part between you and your conscious while I run to the bathroom.

Brb.

OK, you’ve had time now to record your intro and fine tune it to perfection. Sorry to have been gone so long but I got into the story I was reading. Anyway,

Now that you’ve recorded what you want to say, we need to save it as an mp3 file. This is very easy. Go to the far upper left of your screen and click on the “File” tab, scroll down to, “Export as mp3” and click it.

Audacity will tell you that in order to save your recording as an mp3 it uses the Lame library and needs to know where it is located on your computer. I told you to write this down earlier so it shouldn’t be hard to find. Tell it where its located and then it will save your recording as an mp3 to whatever location you told it to save your recording to.

You now have a podcast ready to be uploaded to ATS. Congratulations. I told you it wasn’t difficult.

Moving right along.

Part three: Uploading your podcast to ATS.

This is the easiest part of all. Go to the Podcast thread, on the right of the screen is the submission form and the guidelines. Read the guidelines first so you don’t mess up and get yourself banned and blame all the # on me.

Fill out the form, click upload and your podcasting my friend. Keep in mind this is simple. As you learn more you can get fancy with your casts but right now were just going for the basics.

Good luck and if you have any questions, I’ll answer as best I can.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
great information however audacity in my opinion isn't the best program for the job. there is a free program that streamlines the process its called PodProducer it can be gotten at radix.com.mx... After setting the settings it is flawless. as of yet thow it isn't easy to use with skype or google talk its still a new program . although ive gotten it to work with both it just takes some tweaking. hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I said I'd read it and I did! Good job! That's exactly what I did.

I know that will come in handy for those who happen NOT to be married to a software engineer.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by aristoi
great information however audacity in my opinion isn't the best program for the job. there is a free program that streamlines the process its called PodProducer it can be gotten at radix.com.mx... After setting the settings it is flawless. as of yet thow it isn't easy to use with skype or google talk its still a new program . although ive gotten it to work with both it just takes some tweaking. hope this helps.

the more information the better my friend. The only reason I went with audacity is its free and pretty darn easy to figure out. Basicly, if your just starting out, Audacity isn't going to throw you many curve balls.

Once the good folks start learning what needs to be done, then they can go on to bigger and better things. I myself am checking out some really kewl podcasting programs right now, the only problem is they aren't free. I'll report on that later though.

If anyone else has any good info to contribute to this thread it is more then welcome. The more we know the better we will be.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Great information wupy!

One thing for everyone to remember, when you are ready to upload your mp3 file click upload (only once) and don't do anything else until the upload is complete.. when it is done you will be informed at the top of the page.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah Mr Wupy. Thank you. Wish this thread had been here last week.

...I downloaded some freeware called switch, and now record on wavepad - also free.

2 more tips - keep your microphone VERY still to cut down on static, and keep practising - the more you use a mike, the better you get at it. (Those hisses, crackles, and hums get fairly annoying after a while, but fortunately, our hardwired instincts help us avoid them once the terrain is more familiar.)

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Anyone - Can you tell me how to add a second track to the first in Audacity? I want to add harmonies and I cannot figure it out!

As I start to record the 2nd track, I can't hear the first one. I need to hear it to know where I am...

Help me. Mr. Wupy!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This is wonderful Mrwupy. I just have 1 question. Where the heck do I plug the mike in?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Oh, lord I got all the fancy stuff in my son's computer and I had not idea how to use it, thanks Mrwupy, in my case is going to be a strong will of my part to brake to the "voice shy syndrome" that I am suffering.

I feel that is I reveal my voice I will be naked in front of all ATS

I am a slow starter so Its going to take time.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster
This is wonderful Mrwupy. I just have 1 question. Where the heck do I plug the mike in?

Well, as I said in my very first podcast, i had problems with this as well. My computer has two plugs for the mic. One was in the front and one was in the back. I kept putting mine in the back and I couldn't get the thing to work, it kept giving me fits. Finally i found the plug in the front and everything went smooth after that. (again, i've lost girlfriends over this very debate. anyway,)

Plug the mike into the pink female recepticle (I am NOT making this up!) on the front of your computer and your mic should work. If you do not have a pink female recepticle on the front of your computer look for the one on back.

If your still having problems after that, U2U me and we'll get together and figure out what the problem is.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I feel that is I reveal my voice I will be naked in front of all ATS

I am a slow starter so Its going to take time.

Just an idea... Write something out that you want to say and make a recording. Listen to it. Change the writing, make another recording. Practice. When you get it like you want it, PODcast it!

I cannot wait to hear your first PODcast! We all had to go through the first embarrassing times. I am very comfortable PODcasting now, but sometimes I still write it out.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

:from Benevolent Heretic
Anyone - Can you tell me how to add a second track to the first in Audacity? I want to add harmonies and I cannot figure it out!

As I start to record the 2nd track, I can't hear the first one. I need to hear it to know where I am...

In Audacity you go to : File(menu)>Preferences...>click on the audio I/O tab and you will see two checkboxes. click both of them and you'll be able to hear your previous track AND the one your currently recording.

Just a couple of general points on recording levels. the meters in audacity are what you'd call digital peak metres. I won't go into 0dBFS vs 0vu thing in any detail,
but I would say for good recording levels you should aim to have your levels hovering between about -14 to -3 on the meters. -14dBFS on these metres roughly equates to 0vu on the old school style vu metres.What if i don't talk that loud you say? No worries, try using the normalise function. This allows you to establish a better overall volume without causing clipping (hopefully).
What's clipping? That's what happens when your volume is louder then the capabilities of the recording devices, and it sounds, well, clipped. Now don't get me started on plosives, sibilance and the proximity effect.....

enjoy

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the help Wupy. I still have a problem but I know how that can be over come so hopefully I will be Podcasting in no time. Again, thanks a million Wupy.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I have all the tools, im scared and dont know what to talk about. I will make One.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

dont know what to talk about.

Well here is a idea talk about your search for a idea.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
SpittinCobra you can simply post a PODcast as a reply to an ongoing PODthread. This way you can simply give your opinion rather than starting an entirely different topic.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I have another question. Is Podcasting compatible with dial-up?

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yes it is it may just take longer to download the thread. ATS has capped the podcast at 2 mb that will help dial up user alot. If a pod cast was exactly 2 mb it would take 4 min 39 sec at 56K to download. Most of the ATS/BTS podcast are alot less then that. Upload time for you own podcast to ATS is a different story. Most ISP's cap upload at 33.6. wich will take a 2 meg file 8min 46 sec to completly upload. I got the number s from MARTINDALE'S FILE DOWNLOAD TIME CALCULATOR Hope this helped you. Trust me once you get over your pod fear you wont be able to stop.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Um.... Why is my PODcast cut off? I think I did everything right. Can someone help me out?
Here is my PODcast:
www.podtrac.com... Please help.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
well looks like ya get it covered. Told ya once ya start ya just cant stop.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join