It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future of U.S. Military Bases in CONUS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

President Bush now must decide whether to accept a commission's proposal to close or reorganize some U.S. military bases, reject the plan altogether or send it back for more work.

The nine-member Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission forwarded its final report to the president late Thursday after signing off on roughly 86 percent of what the Pentagon had recommended as it sought to save money by getting rid of extra space in the domestic military network.

The report arrived at the White House only after the commission, in response to a federal judge's ruling, withdrew a recommendation that called for moving the 103rd Fighter Wing's jets from Connecticut's Bradley Air National Guard base to Massachusetts.

Connecticut was among a number of states that had gone to court seeking to stop the commission's plan.

More than 800 Army, Navy and Air Force facilities across the country will grow, shrink or close under the commission-amended proposal.

But Bush still could reject the report altogether or send it back to the commission for more changes, although either of those options would open him up to criticism when his poll numbers are low and his administration is taking heat for its response to Hurricane Katrina.

Last week, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld expressed reservations about the panel's decisions to keep several major bases open and said he was uncertain whether he would recommend that the president accept the proposed closures as modified by the commission.

So, what is the real motive behind the submission of this report to the President? Also, why place the sole decision in the hands of Bush? We've all seen the consequences of that mistake.

MNM

www.military.com...
mod edit to add BB quote code

[edit on 5-10-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I know now that post Katrina, the bases would be the start of a good thing to house the people that were left homeless and effected by the largest natural diaster to hit our nation. Even before Katrina, I felt that these base closings were going to be bad for the country not only in econimic terms but also from a national security issue. I can see the day after this current administraion is long gone, these bases would come in handy just as they should in Katrina's wake. In these days and times closing these bases should be cause enoungh to make the citizens of our country demand the govt. keep them open and in such a state of rediness that they could be used to help in any natural diaster. What in the hell is Bush thinking of? Oh, I know. He is trying to save money where he can to put it in with the hundreds of billions that are going to Iraq and that other 'stan. I think he is shooting himself in the foot by doing this but hey, this is his last trip around the circut as Prez. These bases are needed if not now but for sure in the future. Sure it takes money to keep them open, but can't he make budget cuts in other areas of the Fed. budget? It is my understanding that the most recent fed. budget was laden with $39 billion going for pet pork projects for the current round of crooks, I mean lawmakers in D.C. I sure wish the govt. would give me a grant of $1million to study the mating habits of the red-eyed newt. Bush in not being a good president. Bad W, bad W.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Good. The Pentagon has had way excess capacity since before the Cold War ended.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Not necessarily. This means relocation of thousands of families, not to mention economical impacts on the areas surrounding the bases. You have any idea how much money a military base brings to the local industries on an annual basis? It's insane.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This base closure commission was started during the Clinton Administration as part of the so called Peace Dividend. It is supposed to be a non-partisian commission to keep politics out of the equation. Each of the Armed Services make recommendations to the BRAC Committee (Base Realignment and Closure) in the form of a list of what they would like to shut down in order to save costs. The committee reviews the list and gives its approval, disapproval or changes to be made. The list is then sent to the President who as Commander in Chief either approves or disapproves. If the President approves the list 45 days the list becomes law unless Congress acts upon it.

BRAC FAQ

new topics

top topics

join