It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina politics: Capitalizing on this like 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It will be inevitable: the intial fall out will be countered, claims of "sniping" and questions of why " do we attack the president?" will dominate the airwaves.
Then the positioning of the best way to capitalize on events will occur........the cronyism portion is well underway. Seems Halliburton has already been commissioned to rebuild three naval facilities in Mississippi.

Here are the main obstacles to reaping reward from this sort of initiatve:
- no "enemy" to pinpoint
- no "war" context to engender rightous coming together
- crystal clear racism/"econ-ism" evidenced in the foot drag of the relief effort
Of course, I am stating this is me speculating....but don't we already have past results as an indicator of future performance? What do you think they'll use in making lemonade out of these lemons?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Seems Halliburton has already been commissioned to rebuild three naval facilities in Mississippi.

Hmmm now we see where Bush's priorities lie

Dont worry that peoples homes and livlihoods has been totally destoyed. Men, women and children have been killed. Lets rebuild the Military bases first, after all who gives a .... about a few hundred thousand black and poor people.

And 50% of you poor americans still support him
unbelievable, the guy should be in prison.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Tonight I was watching FoxNews. They were discussing the failure of FEMA Director Brown - in particular, the order given five hours after Katrina landfall to send Homeland Security people there within 48 hours and blah blah blah...

I couldn't help thinking to myself whether we would see some new legislation pushed through as a result of all this, much like the Patriot Acts which followed 9/11.

Nothing specific; I was just wearing my paranoid hat and imagining Katrina being used as a springboard for NWO policy advancement.
Making it easier to move troops and such around the US. Maybe reorganizing FEMA or creating new military units directly under the DHS or, you know, just letting my conspiracy side do some scenario-generating.

I'm always struck by the idea that some of the things we most fear the government may be capable of doing to us, will end up being things we ask them for, without realizing that's what we're doing. What do you all think?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by quango
I couldn't help thinking to myself whether we would see some new legislation pushed through as a result of all this, much like the Patriot Acts which followed 9/11.

Nothing specific; I was just wearing my paranoid hat and imagining Katrina being used as a springboard for NWO policy advancement.
Making it easier to move troops and such around the US. Maybe reorganizing FEMA or creating new military units directly under the DHS or, you know, just letting my conspiracy side do some scenario-generating.

I'm always struck by the idea that some of the things we most fear the government may be capable of doing to us, will end up being things we ask them for, without realizing that's what we're doing. What do you all think?

In the wake of the War on Terror most countries seem to have introduced legislation which has reduced individual liberties without too much argument.

Even though this was a natural disaster,I can see legislation perhaps making it illegal to refuse to be evacuated or relocated on government order?

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Far Out Man]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Far Out Man
Even though this was a natural disaster,I can see legislation perhaps making it illegal to refuse to be evacuated or relocated on government order?

That's a good example. I've been wondering about the people in New Orleans, but in the (few) dry places of New Orleans. Do they have to leave too? What if they're okay with not having electricity for awhile? What if they're completely able to survive in the current conditions? Do they have to leave to?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I think whoever is left in New Orleans will have no choice but to move,at least temporarily,There must be no food left and little prospect of any large amounts coming through.
I was amazed when I saw a topographical map of NO,how much of it was well below sea level,it is going to take a long time to repair levees and drain the water out.
One could assume a raft of "temporary" measures could be introduced to force the removal of those who wanted to stay,and those "temporary" measures form the basis of later legislation.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by quangoI couldn't help thinking to myself whether we would see some new legislation pushed through as a result of all this, much like the Patriot Acts which followed 9/11.

The scapegoat in today's context with this administration has something that was not present in earlier times as intrinsically: the golden parachute. People are appointed, clusterf***s are empowered through meticulous design, the designated point person is "pilloried", and the fade into the private sector with an exclusive contract given to the firm they've just started or the one that just took them on as a partner....in the multi-year 7-8 figure range.....track the previous "martyrs" for proof of this.
FEMA, IMO, is to be dismantled or brought completely under HLS directive - with the powers that FEMA has now, it's a complete end-around-to-power for HLS that was not legislated to it previously.

quango - "wearing my paranoid hat" is a perception twister conveyed thru the MSM, serving as the propaganda arm of the Bush Cabal, regularly targeted at anyone who thinks like an "investor" ( = consistent past results indicate future performance) and asks the obvious questions or makes the reasonable assumptions. Even the most polar and diligently neutral views here need to realize that - since being at ATS substantiates their realization that some part of their brain is telling them something is amiss.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I would expect that there will be a major bill passed. Like after 9/11, the poor gov. handling of the situation and the call for a commission to investigate it will warrant it. This is kind of what I expect. (pure example);

Citizens Security and Protections Act

- Refusing to leave during a mandatory evacuation made a violation of federal law.

- When a state is declared a federal disaster area that state's National Guard falls under the command of DHS

- Looting, and all violent crimes committed in the wake of a disaster are considered domestic terrorism and punishable under the PATRIOT Act

- Posse Comitatus can be suspended by the DHS Director in the affected region following a disaster.

- Disaster is defined as "Any event that causes widespread damage and substancial loss of life."

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout TimeThe scapegoat in today's context with this administration has something that was not present in earlier times as intrinsically: the golden parachute. People are appointed, clusterf***s are empowered through meticulous design, the designated point person is "pilloried", and the fade into the private sector with an exclusive contract given to the firm they've just started or the one that just took them on as a partner....in the multi-year 7-8 figure range.....track the previous "martyrs" for proof of this.
FEMA, IMO, is to be dismantled or brought completely under HLS directive - with the powers that FEMA has now, it's a complete end-around-to-power for HLS that was not legislated to it previously.

quango - "wearing my paranoid hat" is a perception twister conveyed thru the MSM, serving as the propaganda arm of the Bush Cabal, regularly targeted at anyone who thinks like an "investor" ( = consistent past results indicate future performance) and asks the obvious questions or makes the reasonable assumptions. Even the most polar and diligently neutral views here need to realize that - since being at ATS substantiates their realization that some part of their brain is telling them something is amiss.

Seems ATS is now more PURITANICAL than the mega-monopoly-media-giants and their respective radio outlets........you know, when the latest track from a hot rocker/rapper comes on, and they clip off the first syllables so that you know what word they're saying without actually hearing the whole word?
As quoted to me via ATS policy, 'cluster****', or any such variant, is "an attempt to bypass the censor and will receive a warning with point deduction".
As you can see from the above, of this I am guilty and will take my demerits ( although it didn't make much difference when the nuns or Jesuits gave them to me either
).
It just struck me as, well, I won't say exactly, but given that an ATS search returns 4 pages and 41 threads where "clusterf" appears, WITHOUT an warn, you can see my confusion.

On thread:

Some more from the unqualified Crony circuit being put in charge of a multi-billion dollar boondoggle, here to fore known as the "Jig on NOLA's Graves":
Joe Allbaugh = A GOP campaign operative, Bush in Texas Chief of Staff appointed ( again, with no qualifications) became FEMA director then became a lobbyist for Halliburton and now the big dog in the KBR rebuild initiatives in the Gulf Coast.

In March, the former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which is tasked with responding to hurricane disasters, became a lobbyist for KBR. Joe Allbaugh was director of FEMA during the first two years of the Bush administration.

Today, FEMA is widely criticized for its slow response to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Allbaugh managed Bush's campaign for Texas governor in 1994, served as Gov. Bush's chief of staff and was the national campaign manager for the Bush campaign in 2000. Along with Karen Hughes and Karl Rove, Allbaugh was one of Bush's closest advisers.

"This is a perfect example of someone cashing in on a cozy political relationship," said Scott Amey, general counsel at the Project on Government Oversight, a Washington watchdog group. "Allbaugh's former placement as a senior government official and his new lobbying position with KBR strengthens the company's already tight ties to the administration, and I hope that contractor accountability is not lost as a result."

Halliburton Watch

top topics

join