It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50,000 Troops Now in 'Katrina Zone'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The toll of Hurricane Katrina can now be felt by the US Military. The number of military forces in what has been labeled the 'Katrina Zone' has reached a staggering 50,000 troops. Some troops are even being sent from Iraq to New Orleans in order to deal with family emergencies

www.heraldsun.news.com.au
THE number of US military forces in storm-ravaged Gulf Coast states has swelled to more than 50,000 as ground troops and naval vessels continued to stream into Louisiana and Mississippi, military officials said.

"I think we're going to be there a relatively long time. I see it in months, and not weeks," said Admiral Timothy Keating, commander of the US Northern Command.

Admiral Keating said there were now 13,000 active duty military personnel and 38,000 National Guards members in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, the three states hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can't even imagine 50,000 armed military personel being in the confines of one flooded area. The site must just be amazing.

We know that people still need to be evacuted, at bodies need to be counted...but does anyone else know there are so many US military in this area?

It just seems as if this is too much of an overkill, too late.

[edit on 9/6/2005 by Simulacra]

[edit on 9/6/2005 by Simulacra]

[edit on 9-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
50,000 eh? wow I hope all that manpower does not goto waste or worse

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I think your mistaken about 50K people in NO.
The article sais they are spread over the 3 states hit hardest by Katrina.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think the author means the 'Katrina Zone' as stated in the title. It's not actually one state, or one city but an area that 50,000 troops are in.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I will be happy enough if everyone gets their food and water- the rest will work out. This will certainly be one for the books and will make for some horrific storytelling to the grandchildren.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I can't even imagine 50,000 armed military personel being in the confines of one flooded city

Simulacra, call me stuppid, but that reads to me as " 50,000 armed military personel being in the confines of one flooded city"

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Stupid. But why do you want me to call you that?

Ah yea, I see it...somewhat misleading. Hopefully its fixed before its upgraded. Good call.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It says in the "Katrina Zone", which includes Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. It also says " THE number of US military forces in storm-ravaged Gulf Coast states has swelled to more than 50,000"

Admiral Keating said there were now 13,000 active duty military personnel and 38,000 National Guards members in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, the three states hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Notice how they say that there's 38,000 NG members in the three states? It doesn't say that all 38,000 are working the hurricane detail, just that there are 38,000 of them. There are 10,000 NG members in Florida...that doesnt mean they are always doing something.

[edit on 6-9-2005 by elderban]

top topics

join