It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dial-Up connection madness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Okay, I am getting quite frustrated, and this is why:

First off, I have a 56k Dial-up modem, not too swifty at the best of times.

Add to that the fact that I am running on a 233 Mhz computer, and you get an idea of how s-l-o-w the whole thing operates.

Well, I can put up with it, for now. BUT, I have been disconnected 27 times (!!!) In the past hour.....taking a very long time to both disconnect itself and then to be recconected, you can imagine the frustration......

This happens quite often, and I just had to vent my frustration. In the following way:

So, my question is, why do Dial-Up connections get disconnected so often?? I am assuming it isn't just me........

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade... That's all I can say...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
These things have affected me in the past when using dial-up:

* moisture in or around the phone line

* ISP conspiracies to throw you off if your usage is excessive on a flat rate

* IE problems.

27 times in an hour is serious persistence indicating an advancing obsessive-compulsive disorder and a serious addiction, man! J/K.

What's the weather like outside?

[Edited on 3-9-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
*Have pity on me for I have been disconnected 9 times (I kid you not) while trying to type this post!*

Bandit, believe me, I'm counting down the days till I get my new computer....that will probably ease the frustation somewhat until broadband is available near me.....

MA, I hadn't thought about moisture around the line, probably because I didn't realsie it was a factor! The weather is absolutely normal - mid temp, low moisture, no precipitation. No storms to blame sadly.....

Unfortunately, if this is the case, I fail to see what I can do about it.....apart from wiping it down with a dry cloth, and believe me I tried that the second I saw your post, to no avail....

As for your other 2 suggestions.......well, I don't think there's any problem with IE, as it isn't part of the dial-up software, and I can use the internet while it's on,
on the other hand, I have long suspected the ISP of doing it on purpose for spite/money........but that's just because I am so pissed off that I NEED a scapegoat, and thems the guys I'm gonna goat......

AHHHHHHHH

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well broadband hasn't been the greatest lately either.

new topics

top topics

join