It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese govt hackers strip military computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Why are military and scientific machines so poorly protected in the first place?

A great read....
More on the link

www.time.com...

It was another routine night for Shawn Carpenter. After a long day analyzing computer-network security for Sandia National Laboratories, where much of the U.S. nuclear arsenal is designed, Carpenter, 36, retreated to his ranch house in the hills overlooking Albuquerque, N.M., for a quick dinner and an early bedtime. He set his alarm for 2 a.m. Waking in the dark, he took a thermos of coffee and a pack of Nicorette gum to the cluster of computer terminals in his home office.

As he had almost every night for the previous four months, he worked at his secret volunteer job until dawn, not as Shawn Carpenter, mid-level analyst, but as Spiderman—the apt nickname his military-intelligence handlers gave him—tirelessly pursuing a group of suspected Chinese cyberspies all over the world. Inside the machines, on a mission he believed the U.S. government supported, he clung unseen to the walls of their chat rooms and servers, secretly recording every move the snoopers made, passing the information to the Army and later to the FBI.

The hackers he was stalking, part of a cyberespionage ring that federal investigators code-named Titan Rain, first caught Carpenter's eye a year earlier when he helped investigate a network break-in at Lockheed Martin in September 2003.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That is a great read, just skimming it over quickly.

Beyond worries about the sheer quantity of stolen data, a Department of Defense (DOD) alert obtained by TIME raises the concern that Titan Rain could be a point patrol for more serious assaults that could shut down or even take over a number of U.S. military networks.

Meef.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
But doesn't the US with it's many globally positioned "listening stations" and "communications" units indulge in the same sort of work as the foreign hackers?

I'm sure ALL major governments do this for both military and economic reasons to give themselves and their corporate buddies an edge.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
*removed insulting post*

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Amuk]
It meant that the chinese government has been outright stealing everything they can from the western world, the computer stuff is just the latest. Look it up in the History books, china stopped original invention over 300 years ago, it's called 'developmental stagnation'. Don't like it? Too bad, the final evolutionary win belongs to the fastest, biggest brain.

In case you didn't realize it, over 90% of all new inventions/technologies are the result of original research done in western universities. Before you say Sony, Hitashi, Yamaha or any other company I suggest you look at their funding of electronic engineering research in California Universities during the 60's and 70's.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Chuck Stevenson]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
That better not mean what I think it means.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Are top secret files usually stored offline?

And does the US military even use encryption to store top secret files?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
this is really bad reporting.

these computers in china could just be zombie ones. used as a gate for other countries. china has very bad sercruity on her servers.

he says something about they dont make any mistakes but this could be because they are experienced.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
and later to the FBI.

Whats the FBI got to do with intelligence about foreign incursions into military and scientific networks? Isn't that typicaly a CIA matter?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Whats the FBI got to do with intelligence about foreign incursions into military and scientific networks? Isn't that typicaly a CIA matter?

It might also include Hackers here in the US and people get hyper if the CIA and Military get involved with them.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
Don't like it? Too bad, the final evolutionary win belongs to the fastest, biggest brain.

I many not like the CCP

But I don't think you,Chuck, are going to win anything

I think you need to develope a larger brain before you say anything about anyone else. We would still not be out of the dark ages if it was not for the Chinese inventions, paper and the movable type printing press. So next time you read a book, which ever you do, think about that.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by ikillspys]

*personal insults and bypassing the censors are not allowed*

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ok This message is directed towards Chuck Stevenson's post.

I challenge you to look up the top graduates in Science and Engineering in the Western Universities.. i think you'll be unpleasantly surprised at how many of the best and brightest are Asian

Heres something i found just now because i thought your comments to be utterly disgusting and racist..

web.mit.edu...

Thats a link to show the undergrad/ grad enrollment at MIT.

Out of 4000 undergrad students , over 1/4th of them are Asian. Also look up the stat on total population of the US, and see if the Asian Population is 1/4th of total. lmao. Now explain to me again how asians have smaller brains.....

Thx and plz next time when spewing absolute rediculousness, plz plz research first , or give Direct evidence.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by LaoTzu]

[edit on 29-8-2005 by LaoTzu]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
In the ACM2005 match(the toppest software/arithmetic match for university students in the world, held every year) , the ACM team from JiaoTong University, ShangHai, China got the champion. (should be NO.1 out of more than 1,000 unversities including the TOP10 univ of US).

Also this year China have already successfully produced its first CPU-- DragonChip which can be compared with Intel PIII800. And the next Dragon Chip II released few months later can be compared with Intel P4 2.4G

In addition, in the telecommunication/mobile market of China and many developing countries, HuaWei, ShenZhen company has defeated most western telecomunication companies incluing CISCO, Nortel and Errisson.

In my opinion, currently China only needs time. Sooner or later, China will become one of the strongest countries of Economic, High-Tech and Military.

At that time, you have to get your words back.

Originally posted by ikillspys

Don't like it? Too bad, the final evolutionary win belongs to the fastest, biggest brain.

I many not like the CCP

But I don't think you,Chuck, are going to win anything that involves a brain.

I think you need to develope a larger brain before you say anything about anyone else. We would still not be out of the dark ages if it was not for the Chinese inventions, paper and the movable type printing press. So next time you read a book, or wipe your @ss with it, which ever you do, think about that.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by ikillspys]

[edit on 29-8-2005 by google_abcd]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
And they were able to produce these chips and technology how?
By tapping into corporate servers and 'borrowing' information from other non-chinese companies? Using USA trained engineers?

As for paper and movable type, that was outside the 300 year limitation I spoke of. As they say in Hollywood... What have you done lately?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Don't forget 1/4 PhD/Master students in the current best U.S univers are from China. It shows China has an excellent elite education system to select the smartest students from 1.4 billion people. I won't be surprised if the institutes of Peiking or TshingHua univ computer labs have the ability to research and procedure the CPU themselves. There is an offical website with forums about this CPU and I read lots articles about it. It is a pity that you guys don't read Chinese so I won't recommend it to you. The most amazing information that I got from this website is that the expense on the research for this CPU is only around 1.2 million us$. On the other hand, it shows the human resource in China are still quite cheap now(maybe not in the future due to the growth rate of RMB).

What does "paper and movable type" mean? I don't get your idea.

And they were able to produce these chips and technology how?
By tapping into corporate servers and 'borrowing' information from other non-chinese companies? Using USA trained engineers?

As for paper and movable type, that was outside the 300 year limitation I spoke of. As they say in Hollywood... What have you done lately?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The personal insults and racists remarks will end NOW,

Anymore will result in futher action

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Amuk you rock... what happened to the punching guy who was your avatar?

[edit on 30-8-2005 by ikillspys]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
the automatic assumptions that everything invented/developed in China nowadays is stolen, or anyone you talk to from China is brainwashed etc etc is really getting tiring, I'm glad some action is being taken to level the playing field to allow more civil discussion.

Also as I may have stated in a similar thread the hackers while possibly from China aren't nessasarily working for the government and possbly the government is doing what it can to stop it, also it could be possible that the government is simple encouraging some and not encouraging others etc etc the possibilities go on down the river.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by The Middle Kingdom]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ikillspys
Amuk you rock... what happened to the punching guy who was your avatar?

I still have him, I figured it was time for a change

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Imagine the disinformation that could be easily spread.

Supertrashcan - No, Secret files are not stored on systems that can be accessed by the internet.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Now the UK has been allegedly hacked by the Chinese... I'm thinking Chinese computer zombies & I'm thinking new false flag attacks... Something to think about huh?

top topics

join