It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Unviels Stealth Ship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well, I hope future DDX will be trimaran design, not monohull. Thez are much better. Also I don§t understand the complains - it's too steatlh it has not other capabilities - why do you think so? All DDX designs are much more capable in every aspect including more VLS cells and improved gun, radar and propulsion technology.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I can't find the site right now, but they're having issues with the radar being delayed, and they had to step down the gun a little bit because when they fired it at full power they noticed some slight cracking in the deck plating around the gun. That's what I've heard anyway.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Some stuff from global security on DD(X):

Displacement: 12,000 tons

Builder: Northrop Grumman

Power Plant: Integrated Power System (IPS), two large 35-megawatt generators, two small 4-megawatt generators

Length: 600 feet [Panama Canal transit capability]

Beam: TBD feet [Panama Canal transit capability]

Draft: no more than 28 feet

Armament: 2 - 155mm Advanced Gun System, 80 - PVLS cells, Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile, Tactical Tomahawk Block IV, Advanced Land Attack Missile

Systems: SPY-3 Multi-Function Radar (MFR), Volume Search Radar (VSR), Naval Surface Fire Support Weapon Control System (NWCS)

Speed: TBD knots ( mph)

Crew Threshold: 150 [vice traditional = 350]

Aircraft: 2 SH-60 LAMPS helicopters

# Costs: $1.2 billion - $1.4 billion procurement cost objective, # $2.5 billion first unit cost

link

What really surprises me is the unit cost. That is carrier territory! Part of me wonders if such a ship is worth it...

Awww hell, who am I kidding, I can't wait for this thing to be sneaking around Chinas cost undetected!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Awsome pics. of this test model. I hope it completes it's trials and they go to a full size vessel. If it preforms as it has been billed, it is going to be one bad a$$ ride. You can't really hit something if you can't see it for the most part and I'm sure the Navy can't wait to get it up and running asap. If this craft does well it is going to turn some heads around the world.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Longbow
Well, I hope future DDX will be trimaran design, not monohull.

Its going to be monohull, thats how its being designed from the beginning.

I to love the tri-hull disigns. Hopefully the LCS will be trimaran.

Lockheeds version is monohulled...and General Dynamics version (my fav) is trimaran. I think 2 of both designs will be built, and then I'm assuming they will go from there and choose which one has performed better.

This thing looks BADASS from the front.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The problem with the cat/trimaran designs is that they don't handle the pitching of waves nearly as well. The Army has a testbed our here that the crew hated at first, until they got used to it. It's a lot faster, and more stable in flat seas, but when they're going through waves, it's a lot rougher and harder on the crew.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58 It's a lot faster, and more stable in flat seas, but when they're going through waves, it's a lot rougher and harder on the crew.

That means it could be great for LCS. LCS should operate primarily near the coast.

Murcielago that pic is awesome

BTW am I the only one who thinks this thread should be moved the the weaponry? There could be more people interested in it.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by longbow]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join