It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Unviels Stealth Ship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The Navy has revealed a secret stealth ship, called Sea Jet.

Electric Stealth Ship Demonstrator
ONR Navy site (has good high res pics)

The US Navy christened its Advanced Electric Ship Demonstrator (AESD) this week, naming the futuristic ship SEA JET and showing it to the media for the first time. The 133-foot vessel will serve as a model representing a destroyer-size surface ship and will be launched on Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho, where it will be used for test and demonstration of various technologies. An underwater discharge waterjet from Rolls-Royce Naval Marine called AWJ-21, will be among the first technologies tested. It allows vessels to operate in shallow water with increased maneuverability and stealth.

The AWJ-21 is designed to increase ship speed, making hulls sleeker by working without rudders, shafts and propeller struts. Unlike conventional waterjets, the system works completely underwater, reducing noise and surface wake and improving stealth.

Its a LCS demonstrator, looks like a mini DD(X), the front looks different, but i'm sure they have done plenty simulations and scale models to come up with its unique looks.

Looks cool...what do ya think?

[edit on 27-8-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Way too small, extremely vulnerable to submarines and aircraft, under-manned and practically defenseless because of lack of weaponry.

It's a good foundation. However, the Navy is going to have to put a lot more effort in to it than that, because right now they've got nothing.

Mr. M

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

as posted by Starchild
Way too small, extremely vulnerable to submarines and aircraft, under-manned and practically defenseless because of lack of weaponry.

Its simply a testbed demonstrator, Starchild, nothing more, as mentioned in the quotes cited by Murcielago:

The 133-foot vessel will serve as a model representing a destroyer-size surface ship and will be launched on Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho, where it will be used for test and demonstration of various technologies.

Think long-term: DD(X).

seekerof

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about right there!

I think that it possibly has some potential, but the size of the vessel will have to be increased in order to carry an adequate array of weaponry and defensive measures.

Mr. M

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about right there!

I think that it possibly has some potential, but the size of the vessel will have to be increased in order to carry an adequate array of weaponry and defensive measures.

Mr. M

Seems that you don't get it. This ship is like a big model on which they can test concepts before building fullsize versions. It is ment to be small and of course anything that went into production would be bigger.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The only point of this ship is to test new technology. It's NOT going to do anything but show if the new tech works or not, and then they can add it to existing, or new designs. This ship is JUST for that purpose, no other. It's NOT meant to go into a battle or carry cargo, or do any other things like that.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Jetsetter
This ship is like a big model on which they can test concepts before building fullsize versions. It is ment to be small and of course anything that went into production would be bigger.

yep, Its for the DD(X), Its a quarter sized scale model.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I was half expecting (even though I knew there was virtually zero chance) to see the stealth ship from James Bond.

llama009

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It lokks a bit strange, but doesn't all stealthy things do so... Good post, thanks for the information...

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Hav't Norway had somthing like that for about 10 years? I know it had a larg ship that could make itself look like a small fishing ship.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Director
Hav't Norway had somthing like that for about 10 years? I know it had a larg ship that could make itself look like a small fishing ship.

Well, stealth ships (or demnostrators) are nothing new , US Navy has it's Sea Shadow for quite long time, not only it was stealth, it was also capable to reach speed more than 100km per hour.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wow cool pic! I would like to float that up the local ship canal on a bank holiday

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Question is, does all the design for low radar signature conpensate for the versatility of the old style, which can mount all weapons, has good speed, and is simply the old school design tested and proven.

Stealth is wonderful, but it shouldnt detract from any combat potential, especially since all ships are vulerable to weapons, regardless of their design.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Anyone notice the little blurb at the bottom of the article about it's propulsion system? Anyone have any details on that?

-P

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
From what I have heard, the DDX is in serious trouble. Apparently there have been all sorts of problems in it's design, to the tune of being over a year behind schedual. Here's hoping that the person who told me this was just bitter because his company isn't working on it

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
There's a problem with the gun. During test firing, it developed cracks in the decking, due to the G forces during firing.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
congrats. its stealth. woo-hoo
. Too much stealth, not enough guns. Its like the F117 versus the B-52. Sure, its stealth, but its gotta be able to destroy something to complete its sortie. Sorry Navy. Back to the drawing board.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What part of "DEMONSTRATOR" do people not understand? This ship is NOT MEANT to destroy targets, or shoot guns, or do anything else a warship does. It's meant to show if a technology works or not. That is ALL.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
congrats. its stealth. woo-hoo
. Too much stealth, not enough guns. Its like the F117 versus the B-52. Sure, its stealth, but its gotta be able to destroy something to complete its sortie. Sorry Navy. Back to the drawing board.

You nit-wit, this IS the drawing board!

Tech demonstrator. It is used to test parts of the design! The point is to TEST technology that would be used in LATER ships, and do it more cheaply then building the full sized ship.

===============================

Zaphod,

I am interested where you heard that. Do you have any links? My google attempts turned up nothing.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The model is a DD(X) technology demonstrator. From the initial article"

The 133-foot vessel will serve as a model representing a destroyer-size surface ship and will be launched on Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho, where it will be used for test and demonstration of various technologies.

The DD(X)...

seekerof

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Seekerof]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join