It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Expert Says: Arrival of Bird Flu in Britain is Inevitable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Bob McCracken, president of the British Veterinary Association has warned that it is 'enevitable' that birds will bring avian flu to Britain. McCracken has called for the 'stepping up' of testing in order to identify the infected birds as soon as they arrive in the country. He also says that Britain should start taking steps to be more prepared.

European officials met in Brussels yesterday to discuss the possible threat of bird flu.

www.guardian.co.uk
Bird flu is inevitably going to arrive in the UK, the president of the British Veterinary Association said yesterday - and there is a small but real danger that migrating wild birds could bring us a highly dangerous strain of the virus.

As the government sought to play down the risk, saying that there was no need at the present time to bring all poultry flocks indoors, Bob McCracken of the BVA said that it was vital that we remained on the alert.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It was recently thought that there was little possibility of the bird flu virus coming to Britain. Now we have another expert warning that it is enevitable that it will happen. Europe is certainly taking this possible threat seriously.

As many of you know I have been watching the development of this very closely. I hope steps are taken soon by the UK to at least prevent some of the birds from spreading the disease. As McCracken says, it may not happen right this minute but it is very likely to happen in the future sometime. He has also admitted to the government burying its head in the sand and downplaying the entire thing. So much for being paranoid!

[edit on 26-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think you could redo this story and replace "Britain" with 'Insert your country here" and the story would still ring true.

Its interesting to see the drop off of stories especially out of China.

So they either
1) Have contained the outbreak
2) They have not, but they have contained the media

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Fred

stories are starting to filter out of China now of a pandemic with some reports of up to 3000 nomads dying of the disease and rioting caused by the lock down quarantines. I have searched the main news feeds and cannot find a thing on this as yet. Recombinomics reported this last month in a form but now it seems the reports of up to 3000 dead have disappeared and been hushed up.

The only reports so far are from some chinese forums, written in Chinese and bodgily translated to English. I have also searched Chinese forums but there seems a lockdown of info.

I am personally questioning the swine fever stories. Most reports have this as a strepoloccocal (yea I can't spell that) bacteria. But some reports have said "the virus" now which is it? A bacteria or a virus? Also the swine fever has never been known to cross to humans easily, yet we have many humans contracting the disease and dying.

My theory..... its bird flu.. Bird flu has been found to be present in pigs so its medically possible.... bird flu has been found to transfer to humans who have come in contact with infected droppings and blood products.......like in these cases... I think it could possible be the bird flu, possibly mutated from the cases being from pigs not birds.....it makes sense,,

China has such media blackouts that I doubt we will know anytime soon though.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
What does China have to gain for covering all this up? Its not as if the state has murdered these 3,000 people. Or have they? Could the Chinese response to containing Bird Flu be execution? Its the clinically best quarantine measure I can think of.

Could it also impact investment in their country too if word got out?

Im at a loss here, it seems counterproductive for the Chinese to forgo possible aid and assistance from the rest of the World just to keep it secret.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

What does China have to gain for covering all this up?

What did China have to gain when they actively covered up SARS?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yes why do they coverup? Why do they hide these issues. The world is not going to look at them worse off if they have these issues, only if they lie about it.

Is it part of the control of their own people, fearing if news does get out their own citizens will cause an uprising?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
What does China have to gain for covering all this up?

Pride
Fear (Losing Olympics)

First world wannabe's do not have major outbreaks like this.

The doctor that blew the whistle on the SARS outbreak JUST got out of jail.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Yes why do they coverup? Why do they hide these issues. The world is not going to look at them worse off if they have these issues, only if they lie about it.

Is it part of the control of their own people, fearing if news does get out their own citizens will cause an uprising?

The same reason our goverment covers things up...they think its a sign of weakness.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by brykc14]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
They're already suspecting one case of Bird Flu in Finland and they said in press that "it's not alarming". Yeah right, they tell me that it's not alarming when it starts out in China or something and is already here

new topics

top topics

join