It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe Struggles Flood Chaos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
For past few days heavy rains in Central and Eastern Europe have caused a Flood Chaos in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Slovenia, Romania, Bolgaria, Croatia and Moldova. Alot of Rivers have Flooded entire Villages and Towns, destroyed roads and bridges, and so far 36 People have been Killed by. Some reports say that as much as 53 people have been killed so far.

news.bbc.co.uk
In the Swiss capital, Bern, helicopters were used to pluck people from rooftops as rising water and strong currents hampered evacuations

Worst affected is Romania, where seven elderly people were killed on Wednesday bringing deaths there to 25.

At least 11 people are reported dead or missing in Switzerland, Austria and Germany, where the authorities are struggling to restore basic services.

In Bavaria, some flood defences have collapsed, allowing water to flood through streets and into homes; authorities evacuated patients at the city of Neu-Ulm after the Danube burst its banks

In Bulgaria, where floods have killed at least 20 people and left 14,000 homeless over the past three months, torrential rains flooded the north-western region of Montana

Torrential rain in Slovenia has washed out roads in several towns in central and eastern districts. Croatia has declared a state of emergency along the Mura river, on the border with Slovenia, where it is shoring up flood defences.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am from Slovenia and I don't remember in the Past this kind of severe Floods and Storms around this parts. In past few years, at the end of Summer this part of Europe is always affected by extreme rain, that causes Floods.

The most dangerous are the Landslides, which can destroy entire villages and small towns - water and mud make a very deadly combination, which washed away just about everything.

Still in danger are Poland and Chech Republic.

Yet on the other side of the continent Portugal burns in the flames of forrest fires.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.sky.com
www.rtvslo.si
www.delo.si

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Interesting story...I'm reminded of the floods seen recent years in the UK as well as the heat wave France experienced. The fires and drought in Portugal are quite a counterpoint to the events you're showing in Eastern Europe.
The weather seems to be changing...I wonder if the changes in the North Atlantic Current are having their effect...(?)

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yes the Weather in Changing - slowlgy, but dramaticly.

Considering that the Oceans represent 3/4 of Earth, every change in Oceans have the effect on the rest of the Globe. So, I guess this kind of Extreme Weather has definetly something to do with Atlantic Ocean.

join