It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military laser brings 'Star Wars' reality closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I couldn't find anything on here about this, CNN just published this story. Sounds interesting/dangerous all at the same time!

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A U.S. Pentagon invention could make air combat resemble a battle scene from the movie 'Star Wars' with a laser so small it can fit on a fighter jet, yet powerful enough to knock down an enemy missile in flight

FULL STORY LINK= www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Here is anotehr link with more info as well.

www.darpa.mil...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
cool.

Sounds like its the wave of the future to me.

grant it a 1 KW laser is weak, for comparison, there is a 10KW laser mounted on a Hummer in Iraq called Zues, its used to blow up munitions.

There future planned 15KW, is powerful enough to do smallish tasks, like what Zues does, or keep birds off runways (hehehe) sounds like a win, win situation, no birds on runways, and the homeless get free food.

The 150KW one will be interesting, i'de assume that one will go on things like the C-130. But still, it ain't got nothin on the ABL's badass 1 MW.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the additional links frostry...good read!

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Sorry, but I already posted this story here at 6:32AM today:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

There future planned 15KW, is powerful enough to do smallish tasks, like what Zues does, or keep birds off runways (hehehe) sounds like a win, win situation, no birds on runways, and the homeless get free food.

Roflol

Originally posted by Murcielago

The 150KW one will be interesting, i'de assume that one will go on things like the C-130. But still, it ain't got nothin on the ABL's badass 1 MW.

Take a look at C&C Generals Zero Hour, the laser general has something like the Hummer with a laser beam attatched to its head (how long before sharks get them?). I have also seen a show on Discovery where they have like a 1 MW laser shoot bombs and missiles out of the sky. It's fairly cool, but I think its gonna be expensive to mount larger lasers on vehicular platforms. It would be cool for a tank to have a laser that can shoot down RPG's and rockets, though.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Sorry, but I already posted this story here at 6:32AM today:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry, for some reason you thread didnt come up in a search. I will let a mod know they need to delete/close mine

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
MOD notified

thanks everyone.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by 12 12 2012]

top topics

join