It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Offends Obese Woman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yet another stupid suit is in progress. Dr. Terry Bennet informed a fat woman that she was obese and it was killing her. So the woman did the obvious thing and sued his ass.

Source

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for their health and their love lives, but the lecture drove one patient to complain to the state.

"I told a fat woman she was obese," Bennett says. "I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.

Can people get any more INSANE! For real, the things that you get sued for are ridiculas. "Eating McDonalds everyday mad me fat" they say "My doctor said I was obese" They say. Then instead of taking the smart route and stop eating and start exercising. They take the high road and sue everyone that looks at them funny. But what really steams me in the obese people know theyre fat. Its not like they discovered atlantis on their back. There should be a law to stop petty suits like these. Agravating

More Things to Read
Boston
New Mexico
Mainichi

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately the truth and bedside manor seem mutually exclusive in this case. It can be trying to deal with a patients lifestyle induced pathologies, whether it's obesity, hygiene, substance abuse, or sexual activity. the opportunity to offend presents itself at every word, as does the possibility of litigation.

The days of medicine being a noble profession have long passed... Just ask a lawyer.

Medical monkeys, not just for keeping their mouths shut anymore...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I know a doctor personally, and he is fat...

Almost died last year, something to do with gull stones and it turned gangerenous.

And he still eats #ty foods...But he's not a gp, and only sees people when they are asleep... Could probably call them fat to their face and they couldn't do a damn thing about it...lol.

Now for that fat bitch, yes she is a bitch that happens to be fat, probably the most dangerous women out there today with their sumo bodies that can be easily used as a weapon.
This is a conspiracy against doctors, the perfect opporuntity for that fat bitch to line her pockets with someone's money who's worked long and hard to get where he is today, and she just comes out of nowhere hoping to hit the jackpot without playing any slots... And she didn't even have to marry the bastard...Now, hopefully with that money she's getting lipo suction, I wonder if god would take her life away and show us that karma does exist... or maybe she'll just be severely brain damaged due to a 'clot' ....something will happen, she can't walk away from this one freely...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is really sad. :shk: What, the doctors aren't allow to be honest anymore? Awe, the doctor didn't sugarcoat it for ya, you fa#*$&&$
. Tough, deal with it! Ultra PC has run amok. And to think this doctor might have to face repercussions for telling this lady she was fat and needed to do something about it? Shesh, I just don't get it.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm sorry this woman doesn't like being told she is obese but chances are if she weren' t, he wouldn't have said anything. :shk:
She should be happy she has a doctor that is actually doing his job. It's his responsibility to tell her if he thinks she is endangering her health. If she started having chest pains and breathing issues because of her weight she would have probably sued him for not saying anything.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
This is what happens when medical care is becoming socialized, a lack of ability to run your own business. Prices for medical attention go up because of these people as well as the cost of everything: "I didn't know the coffee was hot". Get a brain.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Man, this PC stuff is beginning to drive me nuts.
It's getting worse and worse at my workplace too.
I am almost afraid to talk without loooking over my shoulders, to see who might be listening.
Is it changing for the worse at any of your workplaces?

On topic..
Could we say, under-light?
Or in insulation terms.."Lady, you are an R-15".

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

No need for some of the language here.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What is wrong with people?

I heard she's getting a petition going to remove the attorney general because he wouldn't look into the case.

I need to lose weight myself and I know it. I don't look grossly overweight, but I still don't like the way I look so I'm going to do something about it.

I'm sick of people.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It's sad that people have gotten to the point where they are considered "obese." What gets me is it doesn't take a few seconds to become that way. And I'm sure that women has been to the doctor so many times before which makes me even wonder if he ever talked with her about her weight gain at all while it was happening. Did she have a problem with that than?

I am overweight by at least 50 pounds, and I've tried everything even excercising. It's to the point a friend I work out with advised me to talk to my doctor about it that maybe something else was going on with my body. So when I went to the doctor and asked for opinion/help all he told me was look around the rest of the country is fat as well. I didn't even know how to take that and actually got really agree over the comment.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I agree with you all. This is getting out of hand. How can we expect a physician to be effective if he or she cannot fully express their medical opinion. My doc wants me to lose weight as well so instead of getting pissed, I got on the stair machine. He wants the heavy weight training cut to toning exercises and me to focus on cardio so I am trying.

This also extends into other facets of life as well such as having one's genitalia mutilated or using an orifice in a way that was never intended. How can we expect a doctor to continue treating symptoms without ever addressing the cause for fear of offending someone's lifestyle?

I've often used the example of having a lifestyle that includes punding my hand with a hammer everyday. Everyday, I go to the doctor with a broken hand. But, the catch is, I want him to set it and give me pain killers for it at the expense of either my fellow tax-payers or my fellow insurance premium payers and dare him to tell me to stop hitting my hand with a hammer because it is the lifestyle I have chosen.

I can sypathize with this woman because not all of us process fats and carbs the same way. I agree it is tough for some who are genetically inclined to gain weight easy. However, to blame a doctor for telling you unless you do something, it will kill you is stupid at best.

Lung cancer is a sign that smoke inhalation will kill you. Rectal bleeding is a sign that its an exit only design by nature. High blood pressure and obesity is a sign you shouldn't eat junk food so much. Infected gentalia is a sign that you shouldn't punch holes in there. None of these things is the fault of your doctor so if you don't want to hear what he's going to tell you FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, do us all a favor, save us some of the money it will cost our health system to offend you because of your chosen lifestyle and stay home.

Its that cut and dry, people.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ok seriously, why the heck do you go to the doctor for? to get a diagnoses. The doctor isnt your therapist. Hes not there to tell you that you look beautiful, a doc is there to look at medical situations that arise and give you the best treatment possible. its not like he looked at the lady and said "listen fat ass...get on a tredmill or your gonna die choking on your own lard in a couple of years" he told her "your obese and if you dont loose some of that excess weight you have a high probability of death due to the complications associated with obesity." now was he supposed to just let her leave his office being at the health risk she was and let her die or suffer a heart attack? of course not, because people like her would have sued him for that too. With these kind of people its a catch 22. damned if you do tell em damned if you dont tell em.

we need to keep doing what we are doing at this moment.....speak out against her not because she is over weight but because she is stupid and wasting our tax dollars by hogging up our courts with this moronic law suit.

I bet if she spent half the energy on exercise that she is on this law suit she could have lost half the weight by now. but people dont like to be accountable for themselves anymore...its always someone else's fault.

so i have a gift for her......

Kind regards,
Digital Grl

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Obese? SHe is offended by Obese? [*snip!*]

(shakes fat gut) I could diet, but exercise is easioer and more fun then eating rabbit food.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/8/2006 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Funny but is not consistent with T&C of the board reguarding post with substance. Try it again and add comments.

Edit : AC

[edit on 1-9-2005 by astrocreep]

[edit on 1-9-2005 by astrocreep]

top topics

join