It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hundreds Flee as Alpine Floods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Torential rain has caused flooding in the northern alps killing three people and causing hundreds to flee from their homes in Switzerland. The news report showed bridges collapsing and motorways caving in. In some place the water is still rising and residents have had to be evacuated by boat. The deathtoll now stands at 6.

today.reut ers.co.uk
ZURICH (Reuters) - Three people died and hundreds of people were evacuated from their homes as Switzerland and its neighbours struggled with flooding after days of torrential rainfall in the northern Alps.

As swollen alpine rivers fed waterways in neighbouring countries, rivers burst their banks in Austria and Germany on Tuesday and mud slides blocked roads and railway tracks.

One person was killed when a swollen stream tore down eight houses in the central Swiss city of Brienz and a second flooding victim was found drowned in a river in another town.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The weather forecast on Tuesday predicted showers for Switzerland. The hope is that the rain will cease by the end of the week. Rain is expected for Germany however. When I was there some weeks ago the rain was so torrential it was scary. It just did not cease. It was accompanied by storms as well and some of the greenery of the Rhineland was falling all over the motorways and streets. Firetrucks had to come and saw the trees off cars and roads. Let's hope no one else dies from the flooding.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Our evening news on PBS carried a news feed on this story and their version puts to number of people affected at a much higher number then reported in your story.

This is not good when you factor in the bad flood they had in 1999 and this is said to be worse then that one.

[edit on 8/23/2005 by shots]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Can't remember which news coverage but one said that is the most rain "EVER" recorded in the country's history!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There was also that massive rainstorm in Bombay not too long ago, more than 3 feet in 24 hours if I'm remembering correctly.

This should be a sort of informal indicator that temperatures are indeed rising globally. If this much extra water is making its way into the aptmosphere, that should be an indication that evaporation rates are up, which should in turn mean that it's getting hotter. Unfortunately, I think it's going to keep getting worse, until the air is so thick you can't breathe.

Any idea how long this process takes? Will my kids have to wear re-breathers when I make them mow the lawn? Or will my grandkids?

Just curious if anyone has heard any reliable information on the warming situation. To my mind the temperatures aren't the worst part. The worst part is trying to live and breathe in an aptmosphere with the consistency of runny pea soup.

new topics

top topics

join