It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Troops' Gravestones Have Pentagon Slogans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
There is a new twist on the headstones that the goverment provides it's fallen soldiers. Families now have the option of having Pentagon slogans such as "Enduring Freedom" added to the headstones at no cost. Family members of the fallen soldiers are supposed to have the finaly word on adding this, unfortunately, that is not always the case. Some familes have discovered that these catchphrases have been added without the families permission.

abcnews.go.com
ARLINGTON, Va. Aug 23, 2005 — Unlike earlier wars, nearly all Arlington National Cemetery gravestones for troops killed in Iraq or Afghanistan are inscribed with the slogan-like operation names the Pentagon selected to promote public support for the conflicts.

Families of fallen soldiers and Marines are being told they have the option to have the government-furnished headstones engraved with "Operation Enduring Freedom" or "Operation Iraqi Freedom" at no extra charge, whether they are buried in Arlington or elsewhere. A mock-up shown to many families includes the operation names.
Nadia and Robert McCaffrey, whose son Patrick was killed in Iraq in June 2004, said "Operation Iraqi Freedom" ended up on his government-supplied headstone in Oceanside, Calif., without family approval.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would have been totally outraged if one of my family were not told that such propaganda being placed on my headstone for all of eternity. There are many Americans who do not support the war and for the military (or the headstone maker) to "mistakenly"
add such slogans, there is no excuse.
Why does the Pentagon even think that such is needed or wanted? This has never been needed or offered in the past to other American who have fallen while serving in the military.
Does the goverment not realize just how unsteady their stance is with the American people and the world?

[edit on 23-8-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It is Big Buisness and very Profitable!
Business is steady in military headstones

The simple white marble stones that mark the graves of the country’s fallen soldiers have changed little over the decades. But the business of producing tens of thousands a year has become a high-tech, high-pressure proposition.

Note the number tens of thousands a year that does nto equate with the number that have been released by the goverment even if you add in people who die of old age etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
ABC might think that operation names are "slogan-like" and that might be true for many, but to memorialize the operation during which a service member died seems very appropriate to me. Regardless of how an operation name might sound to the uninititated, to those who serve in these operations, it is a source of great pride. I served in a goodly number of operations, any of which I would be proud to be listed on my gravestone, if I were to require one at my death.

This is pot stirring by the media, pure and simple.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Very true GradyPhilpott military members are proud of the operations that they have participated in. I know I am!
Thi may well be another case of the media trying to stir the pot but as I mentioned, there are a number of people (families) who do not support the war and the wishes of the family should be considered and take the front seat on such decisions.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by kenshiro2012
Note the number tens of thousands a year that does nto equate with the number that have been released by the goverment even if you add in people who die of old age etc.

From the story :

Business is steady, with more than 1,000 World War II veterans dying each day

So, 1,000 a day times 365 days actually makes hundreds of thousands a year.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
eaglewingz,
got me. I do not edit posts other than to add so....

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I didn't serve any Military yet but I ditto your last thought on this thread.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

So, 1,000 a day times 365 days actually makes hundreds of thousands a year.

Don't be alarmed. That number will drop precipitously in the very near future. Millions of men served during WWII, but eventually, they'll all be dead. WWII ended sixty years ago.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
As long as the deceased person and family wishes are upheld there really is no issue with the name of the operation being included. If these wishes are being bypassed than by all means there needs to be accountablity and correction.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Speaking as someone from a military family, that's pretty disgusting!!

I agree with you, Kenshiro, that it's fine to have it as an option for the headstone (and many families might wish this, since the cost of engraving is quite expensive.) I'm not sure how many would go to see the gravesite of their son or husband or father -- it would be simply too painful for some, and the headstone could bear an unwanted marker for many years before someone got around to finding it and protesting.

The graves of our family belong to us -- they are not national monuments for the government to post messages on.

While I agree that these are not necessarily slogans, the fact is that if the government is allowed to do this without protest, that someday they may decide to change other headstones in ways that we strongly resent.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
ABC might think that operation names are "slogan-like" and that might be true for many, but to memorialize the operation during which a service member died seems very appropriate to me. Regardless of how an operation name might sound to the uninititated, to those who serve in these operations, it is a source of great pride. I served in a goodly number of operations, any of which I would be proud to be listed on my gravestone, if I were to require one at my death.

God save me, but I agree with Grady.

Not a single person in here would complain if a WWII vet's stone read "Fell at Omaha" or something like that.

I'm not going to start an argument about the foundations of this war, I strongly believe that we were wrong to start it, but we don't need to punish these kids for doing what they were ordered to do. For the most part, they all believed that they were doing the right thing and that is what really matters.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Loki and Grady,
I would agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying as long as the surviving family members are allowed to make that choice. If for what ever reason the family members do not want the headstone to read "Operation Eduring Freedom" or " Fell at Omaha" then their wishes need to be respected.
Not trumped by a "mistake" or by the Pentagon's wishes.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Got to agree with Grady on this one. These are not "slogans" but the names of Opreations. I dont see a problem with it.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I can see how they get confused. What with names like Operation Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Joint Guardian, Noble Eagle and the like. Maybe we should just think of operations that dont sound so corny.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Given the current political climate, and the lengths this administration is going to to justify and fund the occupation of Iraq, this is just more propaganda glorifying the unnecessary deaths of our service members in this fraudulent and ill-conceived war. They won't show us the coffins, but for no extra charge, the family can get a catchy operation name on their deceased loved-one's headstone. Oooooh, I want one! Let me die in this mis-begotten corporate-profit driven conflict, I mean the 'war on terror'.

Has everyone forgotten there are no WMDs? No Nigerian Uranium? What about the Downing Street memo? Are all of you who think this is such a great idea so engrossed in Pres. Bush pretending to care about Mrs. Sheehan, and the polls, that you have completely lost your common sense?

Kudos to you, kenshiro2012, for daring to post this story and question the official casualty figures. You are right to wonder, and there is no need to edit your posts. I'm voting you for WATS, although my support will probably hurt your chances, given the opposition my threads and posts generate on this site. I'm in the minority around here, and lately, that's just fine by me. 7/7 achieved its objective at ATS. Funny how the site went down the night before, and underwent a major overhaul soon after.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Take a look at these military gravemarkers from the past which carry such "Penatgon slogans" as "Civil War," "World War I," "World War II," "Desert Storm," and "Persian Gulf War."

Gravemarker 1

Gravemarker 2

Gravemarker 3

Gravemarker 3

Gravemarker 4

Gravemarker 5

National Cemetery Administration

There's nothing new here. Just a reporter with his panties in a wad.

[edit on 2005/8/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I see you left out the 'Domino War' (Korean conflict) and the 'Poppy War' (Vietnam). Also, you are referring to wars, not operations. These are propaganda catchphrases for public consumption, pure and simple. I am not impugning the pride soldiers take in participating in these operations, which I see as esprit de corps. That is a separate issue, pointing to how the military deludes, I mean motivates, its members.

What is new here is an unjustified, illegal war. If I were a reporter and wore panties they would be in a wad over this whole fiasco. As it is, I think I'm developing a monumental wedgie.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

There's nothing new here. Just a reporter with his panties in a wad.

[edit on 2005/8/24 by GradyPhilpott]

No, parents who lost their sons and daughters 'have their panties in a wad'. I think they should have a say on what is placed on their children's grave.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here are the regulations regarding grave markers provided by the government to veterans:

Headstones and Markers Inscriptions

If a few families received markers that were incorrect or failed to follow the requests of the families they have a legitimate complaint. The reporter is the one who screwed up the facts of the matter and failed to do the requisite research and referred to operation names as "Pentagon Slogans," thus turning an error into a political rhubarb. It's just one more example of a particular segment of society exhibiting their complete lack of conscience.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
These operation names are Pentagon slogans. I mean, what's the difference? They are marketing war, and these are their slogans.

Just what segment of our society lacks conscience? You must be referring to the Bush Administration war machine, and all the corporations profiting from the deaths of our best and brightest.

Seriously what have all these operations done for the 'war on terror'. Expand and escalate it. There will be no victors in this 'war', just more slogans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join