It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Compares War on Terror to World Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

President Bush compared the fight against terrorism to both world wars and other great conflicts of the 20th century as he tried to reassure an increasingly skeptical public on Monday to support U.S. military involvement in Iraq.

As he did in last year's election campaign and more recently as war opposition has risen, Bush reminded his listeners of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 — reciting the date five times in a 30-minute speech.

Ah yes, but where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Bush acknowledged the fighting in Iraq is difficult and dangerous. But he told the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention the fight is necessary to keep terrorists out of the United States.

Nothing more to add to this than I would imagine its best not to mention the war on terrorism / iraq and anything to do with world wars in the same sentence.

Its not exactlly the way to boost support for this war.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050823/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

"Honor the dead. Support President Bush."

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It's like Bush is trying to remind us of the 9-11 tragedy. Trying to get us angry and fight in the war for revenge or something.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Withdrawn_Depression
It's like Bush is trying to remind us of the 9-11 tragedy. Trying to get us angry and fight in the war for revenge or something.

I believe this administration may possibly be the most tyrannical this country has every seen.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Withdrawn_Depression

People ask why would the government organise to have the WTC brought down?

Well, times like this, Bush can point to the scar and say, remember why we're fighting. If they didn't bring the WTC down, it would probably be fixed by now, possibly even re-filled with new offices in the damaged areas and like the 93 bombing, it would be a distant memory for most, certainly not one worthy of global war.

Propaganda needs a scar for reference. Hitler had the Reichstag, BushCo have the WTC.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Now that I think of it, it's weird that we haven't had a plane go down in the US for four year and everywhere else planes are dropping like flies all of a sudden. I think they are preparing for another attack on the US that will top that of 9-11. Then they could easily up the meter on the terrisom bar to red alert, so they can declare Martial Law. But that is just my opinon I would like to here more of others opinons.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Perhaps I am wrong but I view the past world wars as more conventional and organized in terms of military fighting military. The war on terrorism is wide open and technically has no ending as how can you rid the planet of every terrorist. It seems like we are fighting ghosts at times and we don't seem to know where they are or who they are. I am not referrering to the ones that make the media, but to the ones doing the attacks who's names we may or may never hear depending if we get them or not.

World wars imply to me that countries are at war, but when it comes to terrorism I see people and groups with private agendas. I think the first mistake we made was using the term war after 911 as that term allows for different policies in our gov't that may not always apply in "operations". It is hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
President's remarks concerning 9/11.
(concerning the speech this thread is based on)

The war came to our shores on the morning of September the 11th, 2001. Since then the terrorists have continued to strike -- in Bali, in Riyadh, in Istanbul, and Madrid, and Baghdad, and London, and Sharm el-Sheikh and elsewhere. The enemy, the terrorists, are ruthless and brutal.

After September the 11th, 2001, I made a pledge, America will not be -- will not wait to be attacked again.

We've more than tripled funding for homeland security since September the 11th, 2001.

All these steps to protect the homeland have made it safer, but we're not yet safe. Terrorists in foreign lands still hope to attack our country. They still hope to kill our citizens. The lesson of September the 11th, 2001, is that we must confront threats before they fully materialize.

Hmm that last one is interesting.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Iraq is a central front in the war on terror. It is a vital part of our mission. Terrorists like bin Laden and his ally, Zarqawi, are trying to turn Iraq into what Afghanistan was under the Taliban, a place where women are beaten, religious and ethnic minorities are executed, and terrorists have sanctuary to plot attacks against free people.

No comment.

America is proud to call Afghanistan an ally in the war on terror.

An interesting speech. Its a good read.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Bush Compares War on Terror to World Wars

But don't you dare compare the Iraq War with Vietnam.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Its not like vietnam. And it wont be like vietnam.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Bush is worried about his support for the iraqis war going down the tubes. I think the last poll said he only retains 39% of his support base for the war. Thats bad, and enough to where if things dont turn around he may have to succomb to the pressure and withdrawl. His recent 'finish the mision' speech is an attempt to gain some more support brfore he is forced to abandon the iraqis war.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Bush's comments are somewhat worrying. Does anyone else think that he is drawing the wrong conclusions from the past? Come to that, does he understand the dangers of reading history incorrectly?
It just seems to me that Iraq, whatever the legality of the war, is turning into a morass which the White House is desperately re-labelling at the drop of a hat. If we'd gone in, stopped the rioting, stopped the looting (and secured the bloody guns asap) and started rebuilding things quickly, then we wouldn't be quite so far up to our necks in blood.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Comparing the 'War on Terror' (have we gone back to that nomenclature?) to a World War, seems to give it validation as a real and just war. The World Wars have been historically justified and Bush is trying to leach some reputation and respect from them to spread on his false war on terror.

Bah! Too many know that just isn't the case.

Shroud, you make an excellent point about a scar. Think of how long ago this war would have lost total support without the battle cry, "Remember 9/11"!

X, I agree with you that Bush is worried about his support, and well he should be. Things are not looking too bright for our intrepid leader.

new topics

top topics

join