It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices cause of death of station owner???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The cause is human nature. It's just as much a crime to rob a bank or break into a jewerly store to steal diamonds as it is to leave a gas station ... it's theft!

The station owner was a complete moron. Would you jump on a car James Bond style to stop a runaway driver? He should have called the cops like any other gas station owner with half a brain would have done.

He would have gotten WAY more mileage by writing down the license plate # and picking up the phone. Instead, he tried a commando move, and now not only is he dead, but we still don't know the license plate # so likely this fellow will get away with it.

It doesnt pay to take the law in your own hands unless you are pretty darn sure you know what you are doing.

Anyone that remembers the last gas crisis when Jimmy Carter was president should recall lines at the pump 30 cars long ... people tell me it was even worse during WWII when there were rations for all sorts of things.

At least we can still BUY gas, it's just a bit more expensive, well twice as much anyways, as it was 5 years ago.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I thought it was 4 litres to the US Gallon?? I could be wrong, thats the way I've been working the comparison out

[edit on 22-8-2005 by madhatter]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The gas prices are getting totally ridiculous especially here in Europe. It's roughly the same price over Europe from what I've seen. In UK near on a pound a litre, roughly 1,8 dollars a litre. 4.5 litres equals a gallon so what's that roughly 8 dollars a gallon. In Sweden it is going to be soon 12 Swedish kronor per litre. £1 = 13 Swedish Kronor roughly. Approx 7.65 dollars a gallon. In Euro using countries such as France & Germany it is over a Euro per litre.

In UK there is a certain taxation system on taxing essential and non essential items. Such as childrens clothes and stuff is tax far less as it seen as essential whereas smoking, alcohol and petrol are classed as non essential so are heavily taxed.

In Sweden you can claim tax back if you have to drive more than a certain distance or it takes a certain amount of time to reach your place of work from home. They take into account if would be quicker to use public transport or not as well.

In a large city with good public transport it's ok but for those who live in the country a really need a car then it sucks.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter
I thought it was 4 litres to the US Gallon?? I could be wrong, thats the way I've been working the comparison out

You are right. There are 3.78 (nearly 4) litres to the gallon.
Gallons x 3.78 = litres
Litres x .264 = gallons

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
RETRACTION

Sorry my reference was to UK gallons not US gallon.

1 US gallon is 1.2 UK gallon so sorry for any confusion if any was caused.

So it would make it 3.75 Uk litres to make a US gallon and not 4.5 as I stated earlier.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
.....I aways mess it up myself, still no matter what way you compare it, it's just way too expensive.

We are paying around $4.70(Australian) for a US Gallon at the moment.

That equates to about $3.50 US

[edit on 22-8-2005 by madhatter]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Let the prices go up to $5 dollars a gallon.. I get very good gas mileage and live only 5 miles from work.

Who will suffer? The fools who drive Hummers and other large SUVs. Not only are Hummers the most ridiculous looking things on the road, they are too large to see around, hard to park in a normal sized parking space, and waste fuel.

Most people that own these things never take them off the pavement.. I mean isnt that what they are for?

Yesterday when I pulled into the supermarket, I saw a woman driving a Hummer through the parking lot. She had to back up half a dozen times to get it into the parking space. I thought to myself how much of a waste it is to drive that stupid looking thing to the supermarket... It gets what.. 9 miles to a gallon? She was also alone.. why the need for something that seats a baseball team?

We are getting to be a truly sad country when all we are worried about is how we look driving to the supermarket, in the biggest car possible. Then we whine and complain when gas prices go up.

Maybe if gas prices continue to go up, the people that dont know how to use resources intelligently will be forced to learn. Meanwhile, I'll be driving my Honda.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The Moral Of The Story

Originally posted by grad_student
It doesnt pay to take the law in your own hands unless you are pretty darn sure you know what you are doing.

That bears repeating.

The tie-in to gas prices is a rather thin premise for a story, and I'm not buying it.

What happened is a guy got between a petty crook and his escape -- which is never a good idea, even if you're a cop (unless you're good and ready) -- and ended up getting killed because of it. He apparently did not know what he was doing, and now he's dead.

Meanwhile, a petty crook who tried to drive off and not pay for fifty bucks worth of gas is now guilty of homicide, wanted for it and faces a minimum of several years in prison if caught, or life as a fugitive if not.

Ironically, there is a metaphysical reinforcement of the article's intended spin on all this.

That turned out to be a very expensive tank of gas. :shk:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join