It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Health Organisation Warns (Again) of Bird Flu Pandemic (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The WHO (World Health Organisation) have issued yet another warning about the 'grave possible dangers' of a global pandemic caused by bird flu. World Health Officials fear things will get very serious if the virus mutates to a form that will transmit and infect humans. This is the strongest warning thus from the WHO.

news.bbc.co.uk
The world is now in the gravest possible danger of a human flu pandemic triggered by the virus, Dr Shigeru Omi told a conference in Vietnam.

"If the virus becomes highly contagious among humans, the health impact in terms of deaths and sickness will be enormous," Dr Omi said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has been in the papers a lot recently. The Dutch and the Germans are starting to take precautionary measures as the migratory birds will fly from Siberia to Europe in the winter, possibly bringing with them the disease. The US and France and Italy have already started stockpiling vaccines. The UK is not but is going to keep vigilant. This could turn very deadly so worth keeping on eye on.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by nikelbee]

[edit on 22-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think one statement is incorrect. I believe the UK started stockpiling TAMIFLU before any other country did.

You might check into that.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thanks Valhall

I read about that some time ago but according to this article:

In the UK, the Department of Health has said it has no plans to stockpile vaccines, because of the difficulty of designing one in advance which will act against a mutated virus.

I will check into it though. I wonder why the contradiction?

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
According to this article on GP guidance, it is as you say and the government is indeed stockpiling. They are also handing out leaflets which will work a treat

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
They (UK) are not stockpiling vaccines....but they are stockpiling antivirals (Tamiflu).

top topics

join