It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Democracy in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I agree with the title of the post, but not the content.

A draft constitution for Iraq thats gonna be presented to parliament today will make Islam "a main source" for legislation and ban laws that contradict religious teachings.

If Islam is the main source of Iraq's present and future laws.....than there will be no democracy in Iraq.

We've lost this battle (not the war) in the fight against radical Islam.
Heres the link:
cnn.netscape.cnn.com... .jsp?id=2005082213450002374168&dt=20050822134500&w=RTR&coview=

Maximu§

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Privitization is necessary. Saddam and his terrorist thugs had
control of everything. Now that they are gone, the vacuum must
be filled, and filled in a manner that is GOOD for the country.
This is good for Iraq.

"In the name of agricultural reconstruction this new law deprives Iraqi farmers of their inherent right, exercised for the past 10,000 years in the fertile Mesopotamian arc, to save and replant seeds. It enables the penetration of Iraqi agriculture by Monsanto, Syngenta, Bayer, Dow Chemical and other corporate giants that control the global seed trade. Food sovereignty for the Iraqi people has therefore already been made near-impossible by these new regulations."

This is good for Iraq exactly how?

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
I agree with the title of the post, but not the content.

A draft constitution for Iraq thats gonna be presented to parliament today will make Islam "a main source" for legislation and ban laws that contradict religious teachings.

If Islam is the main source of Iraq's present and future laws.....than there will be no democracy in Iraq.

Heres the link:
cnn.netscape.cnn.com... .jsp?id=2005082213450002374168&dt=20050822134500&w=RTR&coview=

Maximu§

Well this is a fairly major defeat, considering this is a US overseen project. More proof that the Iraqi government is being rushed.

The USA should take responsibility for its actions and declare Iraq to be the first colony of the US empire.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe

The USA should take responsibility for its actions and declare Iraq to be the first colony of the US empire.

i thought the Phillipines was the first colony of this U.S. Empire?
i guess the Phillipines in yer view was the preview of the U.S. Empire.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Ok then, the first colony of the 21st century Empire!

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

I think many here are counting the chickens before they hatch.
According to Reuters, the country will be "federal."

As I have pointed out, the US spent x-number of years getting the US Constitution together [the final draft of US Constitution was ratified in 1787, five years after the end of the Revolution in 1782]? They then forgot many things and then spent x-numbers of years getting the Bill of Rights down [ratified in 1791]? Again, give the Iraqis their due, at least they are in this Constitution process and IMHO, the US, the Coalition, the world, and members here are placing an abnormal amount of pressure on them to get a draft together, and not even bothering to take into account what I have concerning the US time required. Anyhow, a draft has been achieved.

All this concern about a Islam being the main source, and thus being a defeat is ludicrous. Why? Because the process still goes on. Did most of you expect that Iraq would adopt Judeo-Christian democratic principles? And being that the US Constitution IS based on Judeo-Christian principles, does that mean that the US is a theocracy? Again, give the Iraqis a break and benefit of the doubt till the final version of the Constitution is made. Furthermore, an Islamic democracy is not going to be a like an American democracy or any other type, per se.' It will have similarities. There is but one other similiar democratic-type government in the region to base democracy in Iraq off of, and that is Israel. Other than that, there are no other exmaples to measure an Islamic democracy, is there?

The rights of women remains an big "if". There is no guarentee that Iraq will be like a Saudi Arabia or other Middle Eastern nation when applied to restricting the role of women. None. It depends on how this will later be defined, as the Iraqi Constitution is defined, then written in stone. Time will only tell, and this is an option that the Iraqi people will have to make, not the US, not the Coaltion, not the world...simply a choice that the people of Iraq will make. Till this process is done and complete, some are merely getting weak-knee'd for nothing.

According to Mohammed, an Iraqi living in Iraq, at Iraq the model, concerning Islamic Law and human rights and values of democracy:

Regarding Islam and the constitution: it was agreed upon that no laws that are against the widely agreed upon values of Islam can be issued and no laws that are against the values of democracy and human rights can be issued. Natural resources according to the draft will be managed in cooperation between the central government and the local administrations of the federal states/provinces.

Iraq The Model

Issues will remain, but the Iraqis must continue the process, thus allowing time to hash out those differences. Again, time will tell, but, after all, this is an Iraqi choice, correct?

seekerof

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
With all due respect, being realistic is not comparing 21st century Iraq with 18th century America.

A comparison could be made that Iraq is very much like early century America, only this time, we are the British, and it's the Iraqis fighting for their independence. Not that I support or condone the insurgency, but I can understand how they could be hostile to a foreign occupying force.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Acutally Curme the British forces are in charge of operation in the south of Iraq right now were production of Oil is still going on.

US has mostly the rest of the nation.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Seekerfo wrote:"does that mean that the US is a theocracy? Again, give the Iraqis a break and benefit of the doubt till the final version of the Constitution is made."

With the importance of the religion being what it is in Iraq, and noticing so many sheiks and clerics who are now in on the creation of their new government, I would venture to say Iraq would turn out to be more of a theocracy to some. (But that is speculation since the global corporates are trying to take over)...Perhaps having some "Godly" men in government could turn out to be a good thing for them....

but I sure wish we had more men of conviction in our own government!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join