It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravitational waves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   

theorists had showed that if an object emits gravitational waves, its mass should decrease

Could someone explain to me, what gravitational waves are exactly and why they cause mass to decrease ?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Here is a link to some info and gravitational waves.

imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The waves are generated by moving mass. To my knowledge, they do not effect the rest mass of anything. Where did you hear that wave will reduce mass?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Good link.

You may also wnt to do a Google search for Thomas Townsend Brown.

He Did a lot of research in gravity wave power generation.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma

Could someone explain to me, what gravitational waves are exactly and why they cause mass to decrease ?

There are several theories about these waves. The most common is that gravitational "waves" are the propagation of the gravity particle, the graviton. This is analagous to light waves that propagate photons.

Unlike electrons, which repel when too close, gravitons always attract.

On the other hand there is the Einstein defintion of gravity which results as
"relativistic effects of repetitive oscillations brought about by the strong force in nucleons."

arxiv.org...

In which case there is no such thing as a graviton.

"And in his discussion of general relativity, he stated that the dimensions are inextricably related to mass ..."

So that mass is relative to the dimensionality of the space-time curvature. Near large mass objects the dimensionality is reduced.

So I suppose you could imagine gravitational wave effects as affecting the dimensionality near the object (and thus the mass).

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

To my knowledge, they do not effect the rest mass of anything. Where did you hear that wave will reduce mass?

Checkthis link out, it is here that I learnt that grav waves reduce mass.

archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grad_student

The most common is that gravitational "waves" are the propagation of the gravity particle, the graviton.

Nice explanation, but we have NO idea if gravitons exist. Which sucks, because it's a great theory and I would hate to not be able to study ANOTHER freakin particle in school.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Keep in mind that we really have no clue what Gravity is. This idea of "Gravity waves" is still theory and I'm sure someoen has already broguht this fact up.

Make sure you understand what you are reading. its the key to knowldge

top topics

join