It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First piece of steel cut for CVN-21 (CVN-78)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JungleMike
Hey, Carrier-bro!

I was ship's company on America and Nimitz. Only squadron I was with was Vt-10 out of P'cola. Didn't deploy. I was an AK. Only roof time I saw was during VERTREPs. I did get toasted by an A-6 exhaust though when it turned in front of my fork-lift and dang, that was hot and nasty! I understand you were on Forrestal? I saw "Ordeal by Fire" when I checked on board America and it so impressed me that I volunteered for a repair locker and insisted on getting trained on an OBA! I didn't want to learn how during a mass conflagration!
Funny, but every command I was in, I had a close friend from Pittsburgh.
I even attended the Three Rivers festival at the Point and drank I.C.!

I was Air Wing 6 with HS-15 from 1983 thru 1987. Deployed on Independence and Forrestal. I cross decked with Carl Vinson in 1985 and spent 3 months on her. If you went aft up in the Supply mezzanine you could still see some frames that were warped from the fire. Maybe these electromagnetic catapults will be quieter than the old steam ones that I shared my rack with.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost

Any Ideas? Maybe we could call it the "Eagle Class"

Tim

I doubt Eagle will fly (pun intended) as that was the name of 3 British Carriers The first HMS Eagle was the class leader converted from a partly built dreadnought class battleship and sunk in the infamous pedestal convoy to Malta in WWII. The second ship was carrier cancelled at the end of WWII and third HMS Eagle was the first ship of the Audacious class was finally scrapped in 1976.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
we can have the Poseidon class for the name of the Greek mythology God of Sea or USS Ares for the God of War.
or we can just have Enterprise as the next class. but my own favorite would be the Athena class. God of War, Wisdom and Stragedy.

btw Athena still a virgin.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Athena would'nt be too bad, but it doesn't seem related to the US enough, I mean it's not the Greek navy. Not that I wouldn't mind it. That and I think Posieden is taken by a sub launched missile.

I think that it should be the USS America class, which would be CVN-21. Then the USS Enterprise could be CVN-78. After all the current USS Enterprise is actually it's own class, slightly different specs than a Nimitz, and more reactors.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Going by current USN naming methods, CVN-78 would be the America if the class was America. The lead ship of the class is the same name as the rest of the class. That's now it NORMALLY is.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I read somewhere that the CVN-78 isn't going to be the first in the class, I've heard it's going to be the CVN-21 or something from some source. I'm not too sure though. Either way I'd like to see another Enterprise and America.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
how about the Clinton class.
, "Mr. President, U.S.S. Clinton is ready to rock, ready to bomb those bastards."

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
After the way he was cutting the military budget, I doubt he'll ever get more than a life raft named after him.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
CVN-21 is the PROGRAM name, for 21st Century Nuclear Carrier. The CLASS is going to be CVN-78.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Gee, thanks for making me feel like an idiot. J/k.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
just like SSN 21 for the Seawolf. aww well in anicase lets hope the U.S. Navy gets a good name for the new class.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The USS "More powerful then Superman, Batman, Spiderman and the Incredible Hulk put together.""

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It will probably have a corporate sponsor name, like the USS Drink Coke.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
After the way he was cutting the military budget, I doubt he'll ever get more than a life raft named after him.

If Jimmy Carter got the last Seawolf, Clinton would get something important. Besides I don't think that the next US President is going to be a Republican...

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
They should name it something badass like the nation buster

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Distortion
They should name it something badass like the nation buster

Here is a selection of Royal Navy ship names

Aggressor
Attacker
Attack
Avenger

Batman
Battleaxe
Battler
Battle
Black Prince
Brave

Clinton

Cobra
Colossus

Crusader
Cutlass

Defence
Defender
Defiance

Dragon
Dreadnought

Excalibur

Fairy Queen
Fearless
Fighter
Fireball
Firedrake
Furious

Grace of God
Grand Turk
Grey Wolf

Hotspur

Impregnable
Impulsive
Insolent
Intrepid
Invincible
Iron Duke

Revenge

Spanker - minesweeper
Spiteful

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

If Jimmy Carter got the last Seawolf, Clinton would get something important. Besides I don't think that the next US President is going to be a Republican...

Yes and what a tragedy that was, the best sub out there named after Jimmy. :shk:
Anyway Clinton probably wont get anything important named after him, especially not a new class of Carriers.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Jimmy Carter got a submarine named after him because he was in fact a submariner. A Reactor Officer if I recall correctly.
William Jefferson Clinton was none of this. He avoided military service to this country in any fashion.
It will take alot of political threatening and cajolling to get it forced through Congress to have a carrier or any ship named for William Jefferson Clinton. The Navy will fight it as much as possible.
However ..this may change if Hillary makes it to the White House. The entire media press corps of pimps and whoremongers will get on this bandwagon. Watch for this occurence closely.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I don’t have anything against Jimmy but I think it would have been better if that had picked another name for the sub.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
On carrier names, I never was thrilled with either Vinson or Stennis. No insult to the ships or their crews but really. I would like to see another America or United States.

Most of the recently retired carriers bore famous names; Constellation, Ranger, Saratoga, Lexington. Some older carrier names have now gone to the gator navy (amphibs)-Kearsarge, Bonhomme Richard, Essex, Wasp.

Athena is an interesting idea but sailors....virgins...compatibility problems LOL!

I may have got tired of the Navy but I never got tired of being on a carrier. To go up to vultures row and watch night-ops would always give me a lift. I used to sneak a tiny 110 camera onto the roof during VERTREP (I know, I know, FOD) and take pics. The quality was not good compared to todays cameras but I have some pics for memories.

On Nimitz we had a flight deck fire when a maintenance guy climbed into an A-7E and accidently triggered the vulcan. It fired into a KA-6E which was tied down directly in front of it. Whoosh! The tanker was totalled. We pushed it off the side. Seven A-7E's were badly damaged. An S-3B was burnt from the rear, toasting the MAD boom. Sadly, we lost two crew in the initial explosion.

I just recently found some pictures of the aftermath when I was looking for some Blue Angel photos I had taken. I also was able to get a copy of some of the PLATT camera stills showing cook-off of the A-7 ejector seats. I'll scan and post some if any are interested.

Fly Navy and love them Tomcats!

[edit on 8/24/2005 by JungleMike]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join