It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Policy Ethics [Survey: Commentary]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
U.S. Ethics is an expansive issue. War ethics, policy ethics, cultural ethics, etc. The best way to figure American ethics in a democrasy is to unbiasly get a mass populace to put their two cents in. There will be many whom swing far pro-ethical and those whom swing far con-ethical when it comes to the U.S. systems. Yet, this is a place of comments, facts, and justifiable opinions so please state your mind and remember other people are only stating theirs aswell.

So my personal question for this survey is: on a scale from 0-10 what would you rate U.S. OVERALL ethics in its governing, policies, war, etc. 0 being devious, 10 being omnibenevolous. Please state 'why' aswell, and PROVE you're point, there is too much speculative assumtion on both sides. It is pretty simple, I will update the results in each of my posts. Thank you for your time!

edit to add space in title

[edit on 21-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychevolvedApe
So my personal question for this survey is: on a scale from 0-10 what would you rate U.S. OVERALL ethics in its governing, policies, war, etc. 0 being devious, 10 being omnibenevolous.

You can count my vote or not. I'm not willing to research all the charges I'm making. They have been researched and rehashed here. You're asking for an opinion anyway and many of my points are common knowledge and others are a matter or opinion.

Governing and war ethics, only? .5 (that’s ½)

Why?
Invasion of a sovereign nation
War on false pretenses (Downing Street Memos)
Depleted Uranium
“Mission Accomplished”
Torture at Gitmo, Abu Ghraib
Withholding of information from public
Patriot Act
Halliburton
Terrorism is worse than ever
Treatment of returning Vets
Lack of support for troops’ needs (armor, etc.)
Environmental decay
World Police mindset
Where is Osama?
CIA leak without accountability
Excessive lying by administration about everything!
Lack of security (borders)
Military recruitment tactics
Exporting jobs
Forcing religion in government
No exit strategy
We are NOT safer

Possible:
Involvement in 9/11
Hidden enemy combatant camps
Corrupt military
Lies about military actions
“Insurgents” Yeah, right…
Jessica Lynch ‘rescue’

The only reason I’m giving it a .5 instead of a 0:
Financial aid to some needy countries

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'd give it an 8

Reasons:

-I feel there has never (Or rarely) been a country who has had as much power as the U.S, but abused it less.
-Financial aid to a lot of needy countries, even when they hate us.
-Removing a murderous dictator from power and replacing him with a democracy (elections!). Not to mention women's centers are being opened up, women are voting, schools are being built, etc. etc.
-Capturing or killing 75% of Taliban. (It might be more by now..)
-Capturing or killing 3/4 of al qaeda leaders (Also could be more by now).
-Stepping in and aiding whoever needs our help.
-Setting an example of democracy in other middle-eastern countries.
-Using diplomacy before force.

Cons

Since these ARE politicians, I'm guessing that there is usually SOME alterior motive for what we do. I don't believe that's the main reason, but there's usually a few dirty politicians in every deal.

I can't think of anymore right now, I'm out of time.

And BH: My uncle was directly involved in the rescue of Jessica Lynch, so don't go there girlfriend
hahaha.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
So far we have a .5, and an 8. Me personally, not trying to be bias here. I give it a 2. I do not like where the AmeREICHan Imperialism is heading by forms of my research of present U.S. policies. The American Imperialism (top post.)

The average total so far on a scale from 1-10 is... 3.5 out of 10 on this rating out of 3 people the current ethics survey rate the U.S. as...Out of control. Thank you for voting.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Me personally, not trying to be bias here.

I do not like where the AmeREICHan Imperialism

Umm...yeah...ok. I won't say anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'll give the foreign policy a 5. I don't think this administration is doing anything much better or much worse than any other recent administration.
My opinion, no proof.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I would give it an 7.5 to 8

Why? Well its been the most successful in history and quite frankly we have people risking their lives to get here.

I feel this nation has been blessed by God, although we have much blood on our hands, we still are the most generous nation in history, no one even comes close.

Politics are taking us down the path to mediocrity.....

We are our own worst enemy.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

So my personal question for this survey is: on a scale from 0-10 what would you rate U.S. OVERALL ethics in its governing, policies, war, etc. 0 being devious, 10 being omnibenevolous. Please state 'why' aswell, and PROVE you're point, there is too much speculative assumtion on both sides. It is pretty simple, I will update the results in each of my posts. Thank you for your time!

0 to 10 makes for a lot of grey.

Can ideologies created of fear and hate be destroyed with ideologies born of fear and hate?

Fear & Hate vs. Truth & Love

The Resolve of a Reverence for Revenge
vs.
The Resolve of a Reverence for Life.

0 to 10

I say 4, because I'm an optimist.

Still, 7,500 years of written/recorded history devoid of 7 consecutive days without war, killing, or destruction.

Great track record for all of humanity.

Perhaps if America stopped living up to the expectations of our enemies......

Ya, my answer will be a generous 4.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
If we are talking America throughout History, it is one of the most hypocritical nations that has ever existed.

It promised freedom to many people but resulted in Slavery of Blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, Native Americans, etc.

They have conducted targetted assassinations against people [like Castro] and resulted in military coups in other Nation's yet label others terrorists when they do the same thing.

They have committed acts of genocide on a massive scale and do not openly admit to it.

They house war-criminals and gave them amnesty from their crimes in return for their technology.

They have a written constitution which the Governments do not abide by.

They have conducted torture yet criticse others for doing such a thing.

They lie to their own people.

---

I can go on all day.

[This was about America as a whole not just the Bush administration. In fact I would find it hard to give any Nation higher than a 5]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

So my personal question for this survey is: on a scale from 0-10 what would you rate U.S. OVERALL ethics in its governing, policies, war, etc.

I assumed you meant "At this moment in time" Not a grade for the US throughout history. My answer would have been very different for that. We have only dipped down to a .5 in the past 3-4 years.

Can you clear that up for us?

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yes, sorry folks, I ment CURRENT U.S. Ethics... If their is a mishap, I hope it generally clears itself up... Please do NOT CHANGE YOUR VOTE if you have based it on ALL of U.S. History, because even in the present WE CAN NOT FORGET OUR PAST. So with that said...

The average total so far on a scale from 1-10 is... 5 out of 10. On this rating of 7 people, the current ethics survey rate the U.S. as.. merely humane. Thank you all for voting!

[edit on 22-8-2005 by PsychevolvedApe]

top topics

join