It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star trek 'phasers' becomes a reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just saw this stunning new weapon on FOX 'news' channel. Its located under business, and the clip is named "Bomb Buster"

A company named IONATRON, has developed a weapon they call "LIPC", which stands for Laser-Induced Plasma Channel. Apparently this gadget can set off carbombs, mines and other hidden explosives with a remotely controlled unit.

The company claims that the technology works like a man-made lightning strike. Wowa... sounds like old Tesla technology to me?

The company has some small videoclips showing the capabilities, and also handheld weapons that shoots out this "LIPC". Looks like those phasers they use in star trek.

Guess who their biggest customer is...
www.ionatron.com...

Ionatron company website:
www.ionatron.com...

Anyone knows more? Or is this just 'old' stuff? If this is 'old' stuff, i wonder what the 'new' stuff can do...

I read somewhere about a incredible weapon was used in Iraq, at the start of the war. Some reported that people exposed to thsi weapon, was simply "melted". Cannot remeber the source on that, believe it was a blog somwehere, but if that turns out to be true, could the LIPC be the weapon used?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It seems as though this is new news, but I have seen various companies flaunt similar technology.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Phasers are so cool, hehe. Im sure this will be the nickname the are given by soldiers
. anyway, i find more and more we are moving towards a world like that of star trek. neat stuff

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'd sure like to have a load of them down here to put some of these Libs. in a stun mode and light some fire under our current administrations arse.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Seems like a real company, but that video is a cheap special effects trailer. lol

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
seems like more of the same to me... continuing along the lines of new weapons when we all know we'll be using M-22's (or something like that..) in 20 years anyways. But yeah, it would be cool to smoke a guy in a foxhole with a phaser... (imagination runs off)...friggin sweet...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Is'nt it just humankind in a nutshell? When it comes to invent ways of killing eachother, the human mind seems to contain an endless stream of ideas. But when it comes to invent ways of living in peace with eachother, we draw blanks!

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I read about a similar product a few years ago. Im one of those people who used to read science mags tho this one was more of a technology of the future now kinda thing and went to talk about loads of interesting things in development. Sadly it went out of print I think. It was called Frontiers, great magazine.

The phaser idea is both good and bad. It makes wars less deadly (i.e. now you stun a soldier instead of putting 30 bullets in him, better to capture prisoners, etc) but it also make population suppression a lot more easy. If someone is causing the police hassle they can now shoot them with this weapon. Problem solved. Thing is weapons like this are so easy to abuse and governments are great at doing that.

I totaly agree on the whole weapons thing. I guess its just easier to destroy than to create. But thats the sunny, gum drop smile world we live in

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ingolf
Is'nt it just humankind in a nutshell? When it comes to invent ways of killing eachother, the human mind seems to contain an endless stream of ideas. But when it comes to invent ways of living in peace with eachother, we draw blanks!

Good call...
Unfortunately peace doesn't make a few very very wealthy

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This has, more or less, been covered before on ATS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What's more interesting to me about Ionatron is the publically available information about the way they were founded. Particularly the story by NY Post reporter Christopher Byron that details some interesting 'dirt' on their key people.

www.americanantigravity.com...

There's also the interesting connection to In-Q-Tel, a non-profit founded by the CIA. In-Q-Tel cashed out of Ionatron in March.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The saved search reveals nothing to me

But you bring some interesting stuff to the table, indeed. You are surdenly right about In-Q-Tel. They are funded by CIA, which they also 'brag' about in their press releases. Here what the press wrote

www.businessweek.com...

Started 1999, apparently In-Q-Tel is a non-profit organisation... or is it?

"The CIA wanted to change this and get a window into what engineers were doing. The agency figured the best way to do that was by flashing a little cash. Then the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, put In-Q-Tel's mission on the front burner for folks both in the Valley and Washington, D.C. The outfit was flooded with business plans, and its budget and staff increased dramatically -- a necessary step. "

Seems like 9/11 could'nt have happened at a better time...businesswise?

[edit on 21-8-2005 by Ingolf]

[edit on 21-8-2005 by Ingolf]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ingolf
The saved search reveals nothing to me

Yeah, I screwed somthing up. Just type Ionatron into the ATS search engine. That's what the saved search is supposed to be. Sorry bout that.

In any case, In-Q-Tel is a clever way for the CIA to fund things and get around those pesky government contract regulations.

MOD EDIT: no you didn't screw something up. I believe there is a glitch with those saved serach links. It would be best to either provide the links you find or let members know what search terms you used.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

join