It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former aide: Powell WMD speech 'lowest point in my life'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
"I wish I had not been involved in it," says Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, a longtime Powell adviser who served as his chief of staff from 2002 through 2005. "I look back on it, and I still say it was the lowest point in my life."

George actually did call the Secretary, and said, 'I'm really sorry to have to tell you. We don't believe there were any mobile labs for making biological weapons,'" Wilkerson says in the documentary. "This was the third or fourth telephone call. And I think it's fair to say the Secretary and Mr. Tenet, at that point, ceased being close. I mean, you can be sincere and you can be honest and you can believe what you're telling the Secretary. But three or four times on substantive issues like that? It's difficult to maintain any warm feelings."

cnn

Im not sure what do make of this. We know that a quotes from a Tony Blair speech came from a college paper. I would like to hear from Powell himself on the matter.
Was the faulty intel one of the reasons Powell left the Whitehouse?
Didnt anyone else find the logic behind the war flawed?
The Bush admin never said how/why Iraqs supposed WMDs were any worse then existing WMDs in other hostile countries?

Onto a more important point.
Are Col. Lawrence Wilkerson actions politicaly motivated ?
Its diffcult to say for certain but given that he didnt criticize Powell or the Bush admin Im inclined to say that his actions arent politicaly motivated.
Having said that perhaps he is making more modrate and relvant criticsms of the Bush Admin.
For some reasons this topic is of great interest to me perhaps members who watch the relvant program can help get to the bottom of this matter.

[edit on 20-8-2005 by xpert11]

[edit on 20-8-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I will be watching the program for sure. Will you? Thanks for posting this.

Was the faulty intel one of the reasons Powell left the Whitehouse?
Didnt anyone else find the logic behind the war flawed?

I have always thought that Colin Powell had a bit of integrity. I DO think that this is why he left the administration and I also think coming out and saying so would have been harmful to his career - or at least he perceived it would be - and that's why he's been quiet about it. He saw what happened to the likes of Richard Clarke and didn't want any part of that smear campaign.

As regards Col. Lawrence Wilkerson's motives, I think I'll have a better feel for that after I see the program. (I suspect his motives are to get it off his chest, and out in the open, but that's based on nothing but my opinion.)

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I will be watching the program for sure. Will you? Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the reply.
I dont have acces to cable TV so I coudnt watch the program.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This show was really good. It made clear that the US powers 'manufactured' the necessary intelligence to go into Iraq. I was surprised that such a revealing show was on cnn.

top topics

join