It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanotech Breakthrough of the Decade

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
reason I say 10-15 years, is because before they are going to produce it and release it out in public, they have to perfect their procedures and such

No they don't. As soon as they get a product that outperforms or adds value to an already existing product they will try to get it to market as fast as possible. You'd be surprised how quick Huge Corps can move when Billions of dollars in initial sales are on the line as well as Establishing new Brand Names or Reinforcing existing ones.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
DarkHelmet...I think you forgot the most important on of all, the Space Elevator.

oh, and Desalination Plants (making saltwater into fresh water) allready exists, so we dont need nanotech for that.

As was just said... The plants are to costly and would take longer to desalinize the water. Nanotech will make it a 1 2 3 process. That would be turn it on, Pour it in, Drink up!

And the Space Elevators... I haven't forgotten about these for one second. These are simply magnificent, and more than just a possobility. The only thing is that these will be years away... in that 20-30 range, or even higher. Engineers and Scientists are not going to begin publicly using as advanced tech as these Space elevators until they have perfected every single thing down to, literally, the last Atom. This is what is going to take the developments so long.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This article says they could be using them in LCD TV backlights as early as 2007.
I think they will be used in a wide variety of products by 2010 but really who knows

article

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   

DarkHelmet
And the Space Elevators... I haven't forgotten about these for one second. These are simply magnificent, and more than just a possobility. The only thing is that these will be years away... in that 20-30 range, or even higher. Engineers and Scientists are not going to begin publicly using as advanced tech as these Space elevators until they have perfected every single thing down to, literally, the last Atom. This is what is going to take the developments so long.

You have a wierd thinking process, You talk about how amazed you are at how fast nanotech is advancing, but then turn the other way and think it will be sometime before it materialises.

I doubt they will wait till everything is perfect...When has that ever happened?...for anything? If we kept waiting we wouldn't have anything.

As for space elevators, LiftPort is a company that plans to build one, and they say it will be up and running in 2018 (April 12, to be exact).
Liftport

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
In the next 5 to 10 years... we will see simple nano-products be available to the public. I'm saying the little more advanced stuff won't be available for another 10 to 15 years. And yes, you are correct... it is highly possible that competitiveness will cut these times in half, but I still think mine is fairly accurate. And as for the whole perfecting part, I'm only speaking of the big advances such as the Space Elevator.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

DarkHelmet

You have a wierd thinking process, You talk about how amazed you are at how fast nanotech is advancing, but then turn the other way and think it will be sometime before it materialises.

I doubt they will wait till everything is perfect...When has that ever happened?...for anything? If we kept waiting we wouldn't have anything.

As for space elevators, LiftPort is a company that plans to build one, and they say it will be up and running in 2018 (April 12, to be exact).
Liftport

I am surprised how far nanotech has advanced, but the more advanced aspects of it are just going to take more time to make than a TV Screen or something. I'll make my timeline a little more generalized. Nanotech will probably be brought in in 10 or so years, and advance greatly for the next 10 to 20 years after that. So the Timeline, from simple products to the Space Elevator, will be from 10-25 years. We are only in the experimental stages right now... and many have progressed VERY far so far. And at the stages nanotech is right now, I'm having a hard time believeing 2018. I'm thinking more on the lines of 2020 to 2025. But that's just me... I'm only basing my info of what I remember from last time I spent a lot of time on this subject.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Also wanted to add that i hope that Scientists DON'T wait to perfect everything. it's just, with some of the things that will be developed, I hope they aren't scared of the potential dangers just as NASA is with the Shuttle. This would suck badly, but oh well.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   

I hope they aren't scared of the potential dangers just as NASA is with the Shuttle. This would suck badly, but oh well.

Couldn't agree more...Nasa should take more risks, i'm getting tired of all the delays.

[edit on 20-8-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Also wanted to add that i hope that Scientists DON'T wait to perfect everything. it's just, with some of the things that will be developed, I hope they aren't scared of the potential dangers just as NASA is with the Shuttle. This would suck badly, but oh well.

It's not the Scientist's job to churn out patents and invent stuff on masse, they're job is to do stuff no one has done before. Engineer's are the ones who will implement this into products, and they can work very efficiently. The Buck stops with the CEO of GE or DuPont or IBM etc etc etc. Those are the top dogs in Nanotech today, and this technique looks like it's perfect to adapt to the production line.

Found Another movie btw

www.sciencemag.org...

From here

www.sciencemag.org...

[edit on 21-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I have to say, I'm very impressed they've been able to do this, I did'nt expect it for another few years.

I'm reminded of the Japanese Cyber-punk anime/manga "Ghost in the shell".

Anyone think that 2030 will be like the show?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Just so you guys know, I contacted ADVISOR. Once I am done with my paper he wants me to send him the basic strong-points in my paper, and then he will decide whether or not to give me Scholar status. I began writing my paper this morning. Got through the intro paragraph an wrote a whole page and a half on just the computer-influenced part of nanotech. Didn't expect to write quite that much on just the single subject, but oh well... I guess it'll just be a LONG paper. Hopefully I will have it finished sometime soon. I just felt like lettin you guys know where everythings at right now.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

It's not the Scientist's job to churn out patents and invent stuff on masse, they're job is to do stuff no one has done before. Engineer's are the ones who will implement this into products, and they can work very efficiently. The Buck stops with the CEO of GE or DuPont or IBM etc etc etc. Those are the top dogs in Nanotech today, and this technique looks like it's perfect to adapt to the production line.

True... Haven't quite gotten into the research part on this yet, so anything I posted about time scales or perfecting methods is all based off of past research and speculation. I don't think they will focus much on the perfection of simple projects... Only those that carry considerably high risks with them.

Found Another movie btw

www.sciencemag.org...

Another interesting video if you know what they are trying to show. (Which is to show the little increase of Electrical resistence) I just wish they had commentary of some sort on the video to at least give you an idea of what's happening. I mean a simple "We're bendin it to show how low electrical resistance is" isn't too hard to say.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Imagine utalizing this techonlogy in terms of weaponry. Its harder/lighterer than kevlar, you could have a smart bulletproof vest.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It's tensile strength is different then the hardness I believe. Not sure though. You would need some mechanism to detect bullets and make it rigid within a microsecond to be effective against bullets and shrapnel. MWNT's are most likely NOT going to be used in any new bullet proof vest's SWNT's are ideal for this, add those into a type of nanoceramic alloy and bam you got RPG resistant armor plating for vehicles, or maybe even Exoskeletal Power Amor

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is impressive, the uses for this sound as unlimited as one's imagination.

As cool as the space elevator would be, after that's done I'd want to use the technology to build my very own "death star":

www.enterprisemission.com...

page 5 of that VERY long article which many of you have probably seen already, explains nanotubes and the space elevator.

I won't hold my breath on that one though and will instead focus my anticipation on more "mundane" uses.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
It's tensile strength is different then the hardness I believe. Not sure though. You would need some mechanism to detect bullets and make it rigid within a microsecond to be effective against bullets and shrapnel. MWNT's are most likely NOT going to be used in any new bullet proof vest's SWNT's are ideal for this, add those into a type of nanoceramic alloy and bam you got RPG resistant armor plating for vehicles, or maybe even Exoskeletal Power Amor

From what I remember reading, these Nanotubes are harder than Diamonds. I already know that they are thinking of how they can use this for armor. When they implement this into body armor it wil still be light-weight,and will not have to switch back and forth between a regula articleof clothing to an armor suit.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by asawa
As cool as the space elevator would be, after that's done I'd want to use the technology to build my very own "death star":

www.enterprisemission.com...

page 5 of that VERY long article which many of you have probably seen already, explains nanotubes and the space elevator.

I won't hold my breath on that one though and will instead focus my anticipation on more "mundane" uses.

- I hate those type of sites, of those "Supposed Structures" arn't alien buildings, its poor resolution. there far to many pictures out there showing some planet or moon, taken with an "ok" camera, and then they zoom in all the way, till its really disstorted, and claim they found a building.

But on the Space Elevator note, I found a really good site, which describes how it will be built, old ideas, new ideas, and all the facts.
Example: They used to think they would have to capture an asteroid to be used as a counter weight. But now the plan is, when you build the cable you send up vehicles that will build a little of it, making it stronger, and you would have to send up over 200 vehicles to build the cable, and so you can 'park' the cable cars at the end...so they will end up being your counter weight.

The Space Elevator

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Here is the main article from Murcs post. Just for easy accessiblity

www.spectrum.ieee.org...

Another Image

[edit on 23-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Yet another Nanotech Breakthrough here.

Click Image for story.

Tiny tubes of carbon, crafted into the shape of a Y, could revolutionise the computer industry, suggests new research.

The work has shown that Y-shaped carbon nanotubes are easily made and act as remarkably efficient electronic transistors - the toggles used to control the flow of electrons through computer circuits.

But the nanotransistors are just a few hundred millionths of a metre in size -roughly 100 times smaller than the components used in today’s microprocessors. They could, therefore, be used to create microchips several orders of magnitude more powerful than the ones used in computers today, with no increase in chip size.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I have pretty much finished the computers part of my report... I think it should only take up about 1 1/2 pages. I haven't finished revising it yet, so I may still be editing out and in info. I hope to have my paper done sometime soon. After I post my paper, that thread will then be for add-ons to the project. Hopefully this research project will become more active than most of the others seeing as how this is a developing technology, and there's nearly something new everyday.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join