It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Extremism: As America Swings To and Fro.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Slowly but surely it's taking place. Like the mighty pendulum swinging from left to right, gaining momentum as it goes, as are the people of this country (The U.S.)in a similar fashion. Extremism is the new tactic being deployed by most political activists these days, and it's only going to get worse. Whether it's calling Bush a terrorist, and the worst one in the world to boot, or claiming that Michael Moore is aiding the enemy, people are using this childish tactic to get the leg-up in a political debate. Surely you've all had that provocative younger sibling, who when stricken with the slightist bit of physical harm runs off crying claiming you've broken their arm. Or perhaps you were that younger sibling. Slowly but surely we've seen "I don't really agree with what Bush is doing" evolve into "Bush is the worst and most dangerous thing that ever happened to this world." Consequently, we've also seen "Damn Protesters!" turn into "Anyone who disagrees or protests is out of their mind and anti-American!" Is there no compromise or middle ground in the political world? Are people ever going to come together, or are we just going to keep getting further apart until we finally split up into two different nations, or even worse destroy the one that we're all living in?

Thoughts? Feelings?

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think you have some very good points. I don't really think the pendulum is extended to either side right now, I think it's broken. But the division or gap between the people is getting larger and larger. People are so polarized.

I try not to adopt a permanent stance on either side and buy into the party or liberal/conservative mindset, but it's really hard when one side attacks me for what they perceive to be my politics. You know, when I get called a 'Tulipwalker' or 'stupid hippie' because I support the Constitution, it's really hard for me not to look at the attacker as an 'insane neocon'.

Thing is, when we're talking gun control, the same people who called me these names are happy to have me on their side, because like I said, I support the Constitution. Funny, though, I've never been called a name for supporting firearm ownership.

When one side 'attacks', the other side feels it has to get a bigger weapon to insure it will win, which only provokes the first side to get an even bigger weapon... It reminds me of the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon where they each keep getting bigger and bigger guns until the guns are as big as the Earth.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I know what you mean, Benevolent Heretic. There are some people that are so sucked into this whole "You hate us or you love us" thing, that their brain can't seem to register someone who's not 100% on either side. I mean it's good to stand by your convictions and not be wishy-washy, but that doesn't mean you have to agree or disagree 100% with whoever you love/hate (Did that makes sense?
) For example: I'm a conservative. I can safely say, based on the majority of the beliefs I hold, that I'm mostly conservative. But that doesn't mean I have to agree whole-heartedly with every single thing that Bush does. And some people don't seem to understand that. As soon as they tell them I'm a conservative, they automatically assume I'm totally against them and take a defensive stance. I'm sure it applies vice versa as well.

When one side 'attacks', the other side feels it has to get a bigger weapon to insure it will win, which only provokes the first side to get an even bigger weapon... It reminds me of the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon where they each keep getting bigger and bigger guns until the guns are as big as the Earth.

Haha, well said!

new topics

join