It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power of Pee Runs a Battery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Scientist have developed a way to convert urine into electricity. Researchers say that the new energy source can be used as a cheap, durable, and renewable source of energy that could be implemented for healthcare and other commercial uses. By causing chemical reactions using the chemicals in urine with a soaked a piece of paper in copper chloride, they sandwiched the peice of paper between strips of magnesium and copper. Then they laminated the credit card-sized unit between transparent plastic films. Once urine was added the reaction produced electricity. Scientist hope that once the ways of producing such energy advance, people will be able to monitor their own health care by getting difficult results depending on how much of one substance is in the urine.

livescience.com
Scientists have developed a way to turn pee into electricity. And there's plenty where that came from, they point out.

Cheap, disposable, and renewable, urine-powered batteries may be the perfect power source for disposable healthcare test kits called biochips, the researchers say.

"We are striving to develop cheap, disposable credit card-sized biochips for disease detection," said battery developer Ki Bang Lee. "Our battery can be easily integrated into such devices, supplying electricity upon contact with biofluids such as urine."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Microengineering is advancing fast, but the techiques a lot of the techniques used are still a bit elementary in terms of scientific advancement. With powering batteries with urine-- one would think such a task would of been done already. Considering explosives can be made by distilling the urine and seperating phosphorus, you would certainly think you would be able to power a battery.

Still I give love to the scientific community for making advancements. One small step will always lead to a giant leap.

-Jago

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Been doing that since oh like- 82 in elementary school. I made a radio that ran on pocket change for a science project. Nickle- paper- penny-paper- nickle - paper- penny and on - soak in water it produces current- add salt (ie pee) you up the effect.

Should have gotten my grant back then. I wonder how much money these dunderheads wasted.

similar things come to mind like Ms. Clintons latest wastes of moniey projects.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yeah.. -.-
I just did a search again and found that the article is here.. I tried to delete it, but can't so I will just wait for it to get voted out..

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I've known of some eccentrics to piss in their Automotive Battery Cells instead of putting proper De-ionised Water in (you can collect Rainwater in open top plastic water butts and as long as you the water doesn't come into contact with metals it remains de-ionised), I've also used Epsom Salts as opposed to proper Batt Aid (the sulphuric acid tablets that look like WW2 Salt Tablets for Desert Warfare) to pep up the charge in the water before Charging though it can "Froth" somewhat on the Alernator and DC Charging Circuit when the Liquid heats.

Piss can exist as very acidic which is what you need to manifest to make a workable battery, have you ever seen the old Batteries they used in Ancient Sumeria and the Middle East?

I mean you can make do it yourself crystal radio kits that run on the juice of a Potato, anything is possible, in the late 1960's on the Isle of Man or Guernsey an engineer made a Mini Coupe Car run on water.

Most Diesels you can run on Second Hand Vegetable Oils (ask nicely at shops and restaurants or take aways) as long as you filter it and attempt a ratio mix with Diesel, like when you use the old two stroke generators and lawn mowers, you mix in some oil with the fuel. Suffice to say the smell is very aromatic and makes a change from the fossil fuels.

On the point of waste products we already have generators and some power stations that do run on methane as made from excrement, esp Animal ones. I had a friend who was a welder who would synthesise Methane from his family's # for use for Automtive Welding. Using Willow that is as Biochips is pretty good fuel as it is fast growing and therfore has a good turnover and yield.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
hmm...........don't let the illegal aliens hanging around the 7/11's looking for day labor hear about this............

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Finally.......an eficent way to take a pee while driving. NOw rather than peeing in a bottle and threwing it out the window i can pee in a battery and keep my Electic car going except i don't have an electric car and i don't have to pee right now.

new topics

top topics

join