It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USN Sea Fighter (FSF-1)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Does anyone know a bit more about this new US navy craft?

The Navy’s experimental Littoral Surface Craft, Sea Fighter (FSF 1), arrived Aug. 1 at Broadway Pier in San Diego, its new homeport.
Navy News

Came across by accident whilst trawling Global Security it is the first I have heard it.

No details are disclosed about any weapony apart from it can carry 2 Helos or VTUAV (e.g. Dragonfly)

X-Craft / Littoral Surface Craft-Experimental (LSC(X)) Fast Sea Frame / Sea Fighter (FSF 1)

The X-Craft was designed to demonstrate to the US and other navies the versatility of a very high speed, high payload capability vessel which can cross oceans quickly, and operate in shallow coastal waters on missions which include mine counter measures and antisubmarine warfare.

The Littoral Surface Craft-Experimental LSC(X) was developed by the Office of Naval Research and christened Fast Sea Frame Sea Fighter (FSF 1) on 5 February 2005. The X-Craft transformational program is a high-speed, aluminum catamaran consisting of an advanced hull geometry, designed to give the craft speeds of 50 knots or more. Initially, she will be used by ONR for purposes of hydrodynamic experimentation and as a test bed for Hull, Mechanical, and Electrical (HME) concepts for the Navy's new class of warship, Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).

X-Craft is the first vessel that the Navy has designed specifically as a “sea frame,” decoupling hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E) systems from the mission packages and allowing for a true “plug and fight” mission module capability. Mission flexibility will be demonstrated through interchangeable “mission modules” (standard twenty-foot containers) housed in the X-Craft’s large mission bay. The mission bay will hold up to twelve containers, each with its own dedicated service panel, permitting rapid reconfiguration of the vessel to support a variety of potential missions including battle force protection, mine countermeasures, anti-submarine warfare, amphibious assault support, and logistics/humanitarian support.

Whilst not the sexiest looking vessel (though she does have a bit of a resemblance to Sea Shadow) I think it will be interesting to see how it will be utilised especially as it is designed to be so multi-purpose.

I would like more info on what exactly the "mission modules" (makes me think of Thunderbird 2 choosing different mission cargos!!) will contain and their capabilities, though now doubt they will be thinking you new ones for years to address new scenarios - (look out for the em rail gun module sometime after 2020
!).

I think this will be an interesting concept to develop over the next few years.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Popeye]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

wats that thing on the bow? it looks like a multi missile launcher. i was expecting the vertical launch system for its pretty much standard these days. possible anti sub weapon? tomahawk launcher?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

wats that thing on the bow? it looks like a multi missile launcher. i was expecting the vertical launch system for its pretty much standard these days. possible anti sub weapon? tomahawk launcher?

Looks like hedgehogs, which are anti-sub weapons. Thats the only thing I can think of.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

If you look at this picture of the completed vessel it has either been removed or covered up by the superstructure

Maybe it is one of the "mission modules being loaded"?

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Popeye]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
OMG!!! its a freaking Q-Boat!!!! a funny looking U.S. Navy ship that dont look like it has weapons on board, has a secret arsenal hidden within the hull.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Does anyone know a bit more about this new US navy craft?

Here is the article I posted about Sea Fighter. Dunno if its the info you are looking for.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Looks like it might be a variation on either the Sea Sparrow or the Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) launcher. These are used for either anti-aircraft or anti-missle defence.

RAM Missile

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It's probably a Netfires system. Netfires is part of the FCS, it's a ground launch canister for the LAM and PAM missiles. There has been some talk about putting it on the LCS.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
you should use search, cause its been done before.

X-Craft

top topics

join