It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chips could double cancer risk for kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Last Modified: 19 Aug 2005
Source: ITN

Giving chips to your young daughter could dramatically increase her risk of breast cancer in later life, researchers say.

An American study claims that regularly eating chips could double the chances of pre-school kids developing the disease in later life.

The researchers looked at the diets of the women when they were aged three to five, using information from their mothers who were asked how often their daughters ate or drank various products.

Researcher Dr Karin Michels estimated that for each additional serving of French fries per week that a woman ate as a pre-schooler, her risk of breast cancer in later life increased by 27 per cent.

But Dr Michels said their data should be interpreted with caution as information on diet was dependent on the mother's ability to recall her daughter's diet.

"Mothers were asked to recall their daughter's pre-school diet after the participants' breast cancer status was known and it is possible that mothers of women with breast cancer recalled their daughter's diet differently than mothers of healthy women.

"Other foods perceived as less healthy such as hot dogs or ice cream, however, were not associated with breast cancer risk," she said.

Diet has long been known to influence the development of several types of cancer, with overweight and obese people most at risk.

www.channel4.com...

Another case of boredom in the medical community

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Yeah, really!

This isn't exactly brain surgery...

Too much saturated fat in the diet increases the risk for cancer in general...and moreso with breast cancer (as it's generally heavily estrogen-dependent, and estrogen is stored in fat cells; unopposed estrogen is a Very Bad Thing).

Well, at least there's a study to show the naysayers.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
A number of reports and studies have been released in the past few days on high cancer risks in a number of foods, such as fries, chips, etc.

When one looks at the reports and the foods that are reported on that give high chance of cancer, they have one thing in common: significant levels of saturated fat.

seekerof

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me that crappy food gives you cancer. Even if it doesn't give you cancer it will kill you from complications of obesity.

Anymore today when we die there is a 95% chance it will probably be from cancer. It seems like too much of anything, not enough of somethings will give you cancer. I read in News Week that Pollution in the Air ( they didn't say how much exposure to) will give you cancer. DON'T GO OUTSIDE
. It wouldn't surprise me if they blaimed some cancer on Old Age. I had a Jolly Rancher yesterday. I guess I am doomed.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Current stats indicate that heart disease is more likely to kill you than cancer.

I keep being reminded of a Foamy (adorably obnoxious squirrel) cartoon where he's bitching about low-carb zealots and says (I'm paraphrasing) "You're all gonna get old...you're all gonna. Die. Let me choose how to die, in peace!".

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Current stats indicate that heart disease is more likely to kill you than cancer.

Couldn't you relate that to Obesity. Crappy Foods on the rampage. Anyways Yeah you are probably right. But I did see that Cancer was steaming towards the top. They are close to equal.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Chips are also a risk when one considers the incredible temperatures at which they are made. Here's a link I posted on Acryalamide. Although the heart risk is much greater, there is still a cancer risk.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
i does it will kill u

new topics

top topics

join