It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A good moral tale..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this but this seems a good a place as any.

I've been watching all the old episode's of the 'A-Team' again and I've been saying all along they just don't teach good moral standards any more like they did then, all this PC rubbish has taken over and look what we've got to show for it. Anyone that say's "what?" - open your eyes and look around.

Anyway, the episode that was on tonight made an excellent point that I have wanted to make but hadn't quite grasped.
It was the Episode 'Semi-Friendly Persuasion', and it's basically about a religeous group trying to settle in a town where they arn't wanted and they are constantly attacked by the town's ruling mob.
They hire the A-Team to sort the problem out - on the condition that they do not use ANY violence. The A-Team try, and fail. A child almost dies because of it. Anyway after being fired because they couldn't do it they come back and sort the situation out the way they know best as soldiers.

(I do know it's all pretend by the way, but it does teach some moral values none the less)

There are several good lines at the end after they defeat the enemy, one of which is when Hannibal says to the leader of the village that he admires him because even after winning he still sticks to his principles of none violence. But he also says:

"Do people like you (peace lovers) ever wonder where you would be without people like us (soldiers fighting for your cause)?"

And after they have a talking session in the van discussing how they can't understand how anyone can just stand there when being attacked and refuse to stand up for themselves. But they respect their wishes and fight so they can live and carry them out.

Without someone else sticking up for them (in the shape of the military, police, etc) they wouldn't have the freedom to do it in the first place.

So please stop giving our military, the police, etc a hard time and try and respect that their hard, unpleasant and dangerous jobs are what allow us to live in a society where we can enjoy the privilige of having these thoughts and living our lives - even though we may not agree with the methods they have to use to sustain it.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
"Do people like you (peace lovers) ever wonder where you would be without people like us (soldiers fighting for your cause)?"

A non-violent utopian paradise perhaps?

Without someone else sticking up for them (in the shape of the military, police, etc) they wouldn't have the freedom to do it in the first place.

Without people willing to use violence, for example, the A-Team, there would be no need for anyone to protect people of a passive nature.

People senselessly hurt and kill each other all the time for no reason at all, when such actions are avoidable and completely unnecessary. Those of us who object to such purile animal behaviour have to lead by example.

Anyone who uses violence to promote an agenda or a cause is only perpetuating the cycle of mindless violence.

But I suppose you're right. After all, people will always be stupid. They will always hurt each other for the sheer pleasure of seeing another human being in pain. And the world would be infinitely worse off without the A-Team.

join