It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Tons of WTC Steel to be used in the USS New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
YEAH!!! Too bad its not a guided missile frigate though

Strory

Twin Towers steel used in construction of USS New York

By Jeff Schogol, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Wednesday, August 17, 2005

James Marcel Cartier was one of the victims of the September 11th attack on the World Trade Center. His father says the USS New York will be a fitting tribute to Cartier and the rest of the Sept. 11 victimes.

ARLINGTON, Va. — From rubble to avenging angel: The U.S. Navy is using steel from the World Trade Center in a new ship, according to the Navy.

Ten tons of steel from the World Trade Center’s twin towers will be used in the construction of the USS New York, according to a Navy official.

The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock is slated to be commissioned in 2008.

“USS New York will ensure that all New Yorkers and the world will never forget the evil attacks of September 11, and the courage and compassion New Yorkers showed in response to terror,” said New York Gov. George Pataki at the ship’s 2002 naming.

For Patrick Cartier Sr., the ship is an honorable way to remember his son, James Marcel Cartier, who was killed when the South Tower collapsed.

“You’ve got the very soul of the event in that mangled steel, and all of that steel which housed all the people fell along with them and they were all consumed in that terrible fireball and that collapse,” the New York City man said.

Using the steel for the new ship would capture the spiritual essence of those who died in the World Trade Center, Cartier said.

“If you would you use that steel, it would almost be a resurrection,” he said.

New York City firefighter Bill Butler also praised turning the steel from the World Trade Center into a fighting vessel.

“It’s a great testament to the strong will of the people who died that day,” said Butler, who was in the North Tower when it collapsed.

Butler was in a stairwell on the fourth floor when he heard what he said sounded like two freight trains roaring by in opposite directions.

It took him five hours to get out of the collapsed tower, he said.

Butler said the New York Fire Department supports U.S. troops. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them every single day and we appreciate them defending our freedom, and we’re doing our best on the homefront,” he said.

The USS New York will be the fifth ship of its class, Navy spokeswoman Linda Roberts wrote in an e-mail Monday.

At the 2002 naming, then-Navy Secretary Gordon England said the New York and other amphibious transport docks will support freedom all over the globe, Roberts wrote.

“From the war for independence through the war on terrorism, which we wage today, the courage and heroism of the people of New York has been an inspiration. USS New York will play an important role in our Navy’s future and will be a fitting tribute to the people of the Empire State,” England said...."

[edit on 18-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What does this have to do with 9/11 and/or 7/7 conspiracies?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Do we need to be reminded? Heck, yes- This will serve to have people remember that things can go Ka-boooom!

Its all psychological.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So they've been holding out on us, I thought everything was shipped overseas...shouldn't this remaining steel be examined for chemical remains first?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i remember sombody here mentioned that all traces of the steel of the twin towers disappeared to cover it up, to prevent so called damaging evidence to reveal the real truth on wat happened on 9/11 like explosive residue, etc. in reality the steel was transferred to be scrapped to use for the new ship, not to mention on PBS that they still had all those destroyed steel examined to find evidence or leftovers to see how the towers collapsed.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Presumably, if this story is true, they will be subjecting the steel to a comprehensive analysis before they use it in a ship. I'd be curious to see what the results of that analysis would be, but the FOIA isn't worth crap these days unless you have the resources to file a massive lawsuit.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
i remember sombody here mentioned that all traces of the steel of the twin towers disappeared to cover it up, to prevent so called damaging evidence to reveal the real truth on wat happened on 9/11 like explosive residue, etc. in reality the steel was transferred to be scrapped to use for the new ship, not to mention on PBS that they still had all those destroyed steel examined to find evidence or leftovers to see how the towers collapsed.

Uhm ok, one thing though, they did the 9/11 report without examining any of it.
And do you really believe they're still going to ?
Besides I'm sure you agree that these 10 tons are not the entire 2 towers!

All in all, it's a disgrace to build yet another military vessel with the steel coming from those towers.
Think abou the people who lost their family members in those attacks, and now have to put up with part of that tragedy living on to kill other people.

Only in america ..

[edit on 19/8/05 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Since those 10 tons of steel were never shipped overseas I'm going to guess it had been saved for analysis. They probably thought they could use it to prove there were no explosives used or that the steel had "melted", therefore upholding their official 9/11 report analysis.

Guaranteed though the results didn't show what they wanted it to, so now they're getting rid of it. It only fits as to why this has been kept such a secret all this time! What other reasonable explaination could there be?

I'm just ticked we never heard about this before.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by ABC_123]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABC_123

I'm just ticked we never heard about this before.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by ABC_123]

thats because u didnt check carefully back in the past to see wat is going on with the leftovers. that was like 2 years ago since they announced it. two years after the 9/11 attacks, they decided to use some of those steel for the new class of warship.

www.globalsecurity.org...

1/10/2003

By From Naval Sea Systems Command Public Affairs

WASHINGTON -- When USS New York (LPD 21) joins the Fleet in 2007, it will sail with a permanent memorial to those who lost their lives in New York on Sept. 11, 2001.

Steel salvaged from the World Trade Center wreckage will be used to build New York. The steel was recently shipped to Northrop Grumman Ship Systems in Pascagoula and will ultimately be transported to its Avondale Operations shipyard in New Orleans, where the ship will be built, in coordination with Naval Sea Systems Command's Supervisor of Shipbuilding, Conversion and Repair New Orleans.

After the shipyard inspects the steel, it will be melted down and used to make the bow stem of New York.

"We're very proud that the twisted steel from the WTC towers will soon be used to forge an even strong national defense," said New York Gov. George Pataki. "The USS New York will soon be defending freedom and combating terrorism around the globe, while also ensuring that the world never forgets the evil attacks of Sept. 11 and the courage and strength New Yorkers showed in response to terror."

New York is the fifth of the San Antonio-class amphibious assault ships. The San Antonio class ships embark, transport, and land elements of a Landing Force in an assault by helicopters, vertical take off and landing aircraft, air cushion landing craft, and amphibious vehicles. The San Antonio-class' future compatibility with the Marine Corps' "mobility triad" of Advanced Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAAV), Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) and the MV-22 Osprey will make it a vital component of the Chief of Naval Operations' Sea Power 21 vision.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
Uhm ok, one thing though, they did the 9/11 report without examining any
of it.
And do you really believe they're still going to ?
Besides I'm sure you agree that these 10 tons are not the entire 2 towers!
[edit on 19/8/05 by JAK]

Have you bothered to even glance at the report (I admit I havn't read the whole thing it's too long and I have better things to do).

So in these numerous photos here what are they doing with the steel?
Looks suspiciously like some sort of examination to me. Anyway there are plenty of photos so you can do your own assessment.

www.fema.gov...

The whole FEMA report is here:

www.fema.gov...

Though of course as it's an official publication it's probably worthless anyway.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

thats because u didnt check carefully back in the past to see wat is going on with the leftovers. that was like 2 years ago since they announced it. two years after the 9/11 attacks, they decided to use some of those steel for the new class of warship.

I hope everyone here doesn't assume all posters know everything! What, you couldn't tell? Seeing how I was working 24/7 back in '03 I never read that particular site, But thanks for the link! So then the question remains, which building did those beams come from?

The whole FEMA report is here:

Actually do many people believe a report by FEMA anymore? Seems to me they lost their credibility a long time ago. Government reports always tend to lean toward the official version of what they want the outcome to be. "Here, take these steel beams and prove the towers pancaked." Honestly when you have higher-ups telling employees that they should come to a foregone conclusion, then the people doing the examinations can't possibly search all areas to find the truth.

www.whatreallyhappened.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">alternative look at FEMA report

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Just came across another site that has pics of the "left over 10ft wtc tower beams"... anyone is interested? Would like to know if one of our registered experts here sees anything significant? pro or con official story...seems "someone" made a peace garden memorial from them...don't ask me how they got them!

sorry if these were posted before back in '03.

MORE PICS HERE

[edit on 20-8-2005 by ABC_123]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wow....Symbolism over Substance...where do people like this come from? Remember the folks that wanted to put the remains of the WTC victims in a memorial there
www.google.com...

Why not bury it under concrete where the Oklahma Federal Building remains are? Wackenhut wouldn't mind.

Gee...I think I will just take my parents to the taxidermist after they die to remember them by. Should I put them in the entrance hall to the house or reading the newspaper in the breakfast area?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

So they've been holding out on us, I thought everything was shipped overseas...shouldn't this remaining steel be examined for chemical remains first?

That is a common misconception that the conspiracy theorists love to toss into every converstion regarding the WTC towers. It's not true, it's a fact that hundreds of tons of steel from the WTC towers has been used in various ways to memorialize the attack on the WTC buildings. While the majority of the steel from the site was shipped to asia, a significant part of it remains in the USA or has been used as anchor castings by the Navy.

Here are just a few of the 100 pieces of steel from the WTC towers which were sent around the country (and other parts of the world) for use in memorials.
  • Students at Oak Ridge HS in Tennessee created a large memorial with two pieces of steel in front of the school.
  • A piece of steel was given to the Jewish National Fund for a 9/11 memorial that will be built in Jerusalem.
  • The JFK Special Warfare Museum at Fort Bragg in North Carolina plans a memorial incorporating an 8-foot piece of WTC steel.
  • The Los Angeles Fire Department's Station 88 is building a memorial with a steel beam at the center of a pool.
  • IN HOUSTON, a piece of Twin Towers steel sits on a flag on a table in the foyer of a church.
  • In Fountain Valley, Calif., a chunk of steel is mounted on a concrete pillar in front of the library.
  • At the entrance to the regional air-traffic control center in Ronkonkoma, L.I., the steel rests on a pedestal beside the flagpole.
  • "9/11 just touched everybody's heart," said Barbara Jack, in Sherwood, Wis., who persuaded city officials to give her some 20 feet of trade center steel - about 2 tons - and is working on ambitious plans to create memorials in the 50 state capitals.

It's not hard to search for WTC steel used in memorials -- but I guess most people don't want to?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

That is a common misconception that the conspiracy theorists love to toss into every converstion regarding the WTC towers.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so there's no need to label me as such. Why is it so many people like to label others around here? Everyone who comes into these threads has not spent their whole life pursuing conspiracies. Everyone who tosses ideas around is not a conspiracy theorist, or liberal or left wing or right wing. Should I venture to say that you label all black people and all Muslims into categories too? And perhaps you think anyone who doesn't drive a hummer is a lazy good for nothing scumbag too right?

It's not hard to search for WTC steel used in memorials -- but I guess most people don't want to?

What kind of twit are you ? If you had ventured to read further you would have seen that I had just learned about this so how would I have known what words to enter into a search? Trying to be Mr Macho who thinks he knows better than everyone esle I guess is easy when you're behind a computer, eh?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

That is a common misconception that the conspiracy theorists love to toss into every converstion regarding the WTC towers.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so there's no need to label me as such. Why is it so many people like to label others around here?

Oh, I wasn't labelling you (sorry if you thought I was). I was just saying that it's very common for the conspiracy camp to holler about how all the steel from the WTC towers was shipped to Asia. That isn't true, but most people read it on conspiracy sites and think it is true.

I'll ignore your tirade after this part, as I still don't know how you misconstrued my post into being some sort of attack on you.

[edit on 20-8-2005 by CatHerder]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think that would be an amazing way to use the steel from the Trade Centers. A truely worthy, functional memorial usage.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshGator54
I think that would be an amazing way to use the steel from the Trade Centers. A truely worthy, functional memorial usage.

Yup, another really nice use of steel from the WTC towers was for a new bellfry in a church in Brooklyn (St James Bell).

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Cool, thanks for the link.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Oh, I wasn't labelling you (sorry if you thought I was). I was just saying that it's very common for the conspiracy camp to holler about how all the steel from the WTC towers was shipped to Asia. That isn't true, but most people read it on conspiracy sites and think it is true.

Wow, that comeback spun around so fast my computer tipped over!
..Oh, I wasn't giving you a tirade (sorry if you thought I was) no, that was wasn't even close to being the kind of tirade I would come up with if could here, but you see I'm held back by the forum rules.

If you were in a car accident, would you want to send your car in for repairs to a garage owned by your insurance company? No, I don't think so; you'ld want to send it to a impartial garage which had no connection or reason to cover up, hide or give you a unfair low cost estimate for the repairs. And you would want to have your car checked over by at least three experts so that you could get an honest and fair estimate by garages you know are NOT known for deceptive practices. And if you had to go to court over the matter, would you want the jury to hear only witnesses from the other driver while you couldn't present your case? Not if you believed you were in the right; you would want to bring in impartial witnesses that just happened to be there so the jury could hear their unbiased reports too. Fair is fair, and it doesn't mean you're a conspiracy theorist because you search for further evidence to support your side of the story or because you want to protect yourself . You don't allow a company with first,second or third party interests to tell you the answers.

The same holds true for the 9/11 investigations. America was attacked and yet we have allowed the American government to investigate everything and tell us the answers. But in using the same standards as any car accident, we should seek out the same objective fairness. You don't allow any part of the government with first,second or third party interests to tell you the answers. You don't allow the government to tell you how it all came down and just believe it. Every citizen has the right to search for further evidence to protect our country. Every citizen has the right to have three unbiased estimates into the "accident".

Even by the admission of those here, you say that not many people knew some of the steel beams had been kept or shipped elswhere. The steel beams play an important role and are just one component into determining the truth of the "accident"; similar to the skid marks of a car crash. Through the continual denial of limiting such evidence to the general public ( in this case we are the jury) only one conclusion can be made; and that is they are trying to hide something....similar to a driver trying to hide that he had been drinking when the accident occured. Hiding leads to suspicion.

Since the government had many offices in building #7, and there were at least 3000 ongoing investigations by the SEC into illegal financial dealings on Wall St, it does appear highly suspicious that pulling that building when only small fires existed would be a way to elliminate any further investigations. But somewhere in that steel is the answer and that is what interests me. Maybe Silverstein knows more than he is saying; I'ld imagine the feel of $7billion would make anyone want to sell their soul. Maybe all those who cashed in their put options have sold their souls to the devil too. Right now I don't have all the answers, no one does yet, the jury is still out. But I think there are enough loyal American patriots who want to find out the truth and are not willing to settle for only one investigation into the most horrific accident of their lives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join