It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Bees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is my first post and not sure where to put this.
I find this to be scary that bees have killed a woman in her forties mowing her lawn. Could this be a new crossbreed of killer bees? I don't know much about them, but have many around our home.
Why can one type of bee kill someone and another type just injure an ndividual? Any input? Here are two links to the venomous details.

www.wtov9.com...
www.wtov9.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I don't have contact with the things, I live in Ohio, but I have watched a lot of stuff on these guys and they are quite fascinating. From what it sounds like that they are the normal African Bees. They get really mad especially when there is a vibrating noise ex..Lawn mower, car...ect. Their migration has basically stopped because they can't handle the cold winters. Hell I can barely stand the winters in Cleveland. The bees may kill some and injure another based on how many times an individual has been stung or if they are allergic. I guess when you are stung thousands of times whether you are allergic or not your body will go into shock and unless there is help you are doomed. You want to get some serious control on them bring in the Vespa mandarinia japonica….aka the Asian Giant Hornet. This guy is a badass. They can devour a nest of 30,000 bees in a couple of hours. They might be more dangerous than the Killer Bee but are less in numbers.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
that a typical bee, when disturbed, will follow it's 'prey' for only a certain distance whereas killer bees don't stop, they attack in a frenzy. They are slowly moving northwards and there are no natural predators here to deal with them......

What eats bees anyway?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Spiders, snakes, and other small carnivores eat bees. But if they are killer bees wouldn't they die as well? Also bears eat bees but that would be a problem around here.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
"killer bees" are a man made freak.

They are a mix of african honey bees and european honey bees.

They were created because man wanted a large and fast supply of honey.
Were the european bee makes large amounts of honey it does so slowly and for a short period of time.
The african bee makes a smaller amount of honey but quicker and for a longer period of time.

It is correct that they are a normal bee and do not give a larger amount of venom per sting. But it's their extremely agressive behavior that makes them so deadly. They are very tempermantal and slight noise seems to affect them easily. Man got the honey from them he was hoping for but got some thing else he was not bargining for.

They reproduce quickly, attack and over take normal bee hives, and their quick reproduction causes them to seperate colonies quicker allowing them to spread much faster. They will follow enimies over a large distance and attack in greater numbers. They also stay in anger mode for a longer period of time.

They were breed in Brazil or some other part of south america where they exscaped from the scientists breeding them and have been making their way north since the mid 60's or 70's . They don't die in the winter as some insects do but they (those that have breeding capibility) hibernate like lady bugs and most other bees. This is the only time they are dormant. Bears will attack their hives for the honey and will be mostly safe due to the thickness of their fur. Some birds will eat them and other insects then of course you have frogs lizards and such also.

This is from memory but here is some links that should back every thing I have said. I might have gotten the dates wrong or the mount and frequancy of the european and african bees reversed also.

www.insecta-inspecta.com...

www.desertusa.com...

www.si.edu...

www.stingshield.com...!ahbtitl.htm

www.txtwriter.com...

And though I have personaly never seen a snake eat a bee there might be some on earth that do.
But none in the U.S. that I know of. The smallest snakes here eat ground dwelling insects, arachnids, earthworms, small anphibians and other smaller snakes. The largest ones eat small rodents and birds and other snakes.

I hope this helps.
Raist

top topics

join