It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and UK Broadband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
alterslash.org...

The US probably has a much higher % of people in the population with broadband then the UK does. Is this because broadband there is still much cheaper than in the UK or is it beause everyone is rich? I am the only one on my street with broadband. I think the problem is not whether you can get it, it is whether you can afford it. Some people I know in the UK complain about not being able to receive broadband but I just say to them a least you are rich enough to afford it.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm not sure what you would consider to be expensive. I live in California and pay $49.99 a month for 7mbps Download and 812kbps upload. Were I live we also have several different ways we can receive broadband. I'm on cable but we also have DSL (phone line) and now a new standard that gives 30mbps download.

Machine

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
512 kbps for £24.99 per month in the UK from the leading ISP.

Go figure.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Australia, $49.95 per month. 1.5mps download, 256kps upload with unlimited downloads/uploads.
Just for comparison,

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I pay £24.99 for a 2Mbps Downstream 256Kbps Upstream ADSL connection but I am considering changing as my ISP has subtly introduced a bandwidth cap which for me is rather annying

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I have a 4meg Broadband form Blueyonder with no limits for £24.99 per month and have had no problems with it.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
By an amazing stroke of luck, I WON my broadband, free for a year! Very nice...

But as you can imagine, I won't be able to go back to Dial Up once the Free Year runs out, so I'll have to fork out I believe around £20 - 30 a month.

I've only got 512k, but thats due to Location. Once they get around to upgrading, I'll go higher. The BT guy that installed it all mentioned fibre-optics that will ba taking the place of the current cables, giving access to 8mb connections pretty much everywhere in the UK, so there's something to look forward to at least.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
I have a 4meg Broadband form Blueyonder with no limits for £24.99 per month and have had no problems with it.

Same here, i got the full TV-Telephone-Internet package, never had a prob with it. Broadband is quite common where i live.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I have 10Mb from NTL plus phone (which includes free anytime local and national calls) for £54.99 a month. The Broadband itself is about £34.99 and you get 75GB download limit a month, so plenty really!!

I don't think you can blame cost for a slower takeup of BB in the UK, it's just availability due to the rural nature of alot of Britian, plus some peoples stubborn refusal to take it up.

Most people I know have BB of some sort, although I will always recommend cable over ADSL via a phone line anyday. ADSL is flaky, unreliable and limited in what speed you can truly have.

Even those offering 8Mb ADSL can only realisticly give you that if your live within 1km from the exchange and many people do not.

On cable, although it is coaxial cable to the DP, this will only be at the most 175m from your house. From there, it is fibre to the exchange.

Whenever tested, even thoughI am actually over 5 miles from the nearest NTL exchange, I will still get my full 10Mb. Even if I run Azereus with 3 or 4 downloads, and play BF2 with my housemate, who also connects via the same link over our LAN, we still get a d/stream of 6Mbs.

NTL rocks.

And those who are with Telewest will soon be NTL as well, as NTL just bought Telewest....

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have 10Mbps download/800Kbps upload cable from RCN in New York City. It's part of a bundle so I'm not sure exactly what it'd cost alone...I think quite inline with what you guys from UK with similar service are reporting.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
shop arround if you are in the uk, i get 2Mb ( max i can get just now) although u could get up to 8 MB for £18 a month yes it has a small limit but its really not an issue for me.

join