It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Saudis Kill Nation's Top al Qaeda Leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced that their police forces killed Saleh al-Awfi, thought to be the al Qaeda leader for that nation. The clash occurred in Medina, a city deemed holy for followers of the Islamic faith.

today.reuters.com
RIYADH, Aug 18 (Reuters) - Saudi security forces killed the leader of the kingdom's al Qaeda group in a clash in the holy city of Medina on Thursday, a security source said.

He said security forces had killed Saleh al-Awfi, who was believed to have taken over leadership of al Qaeda in Saudi Arabia last year. Awfi was one of the remaining fugitives on a list of most wanted militants waging a campaign of violence in the world's top oil exporter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Great news! I just hope we can have similar victories against Zarqawi in Iraq and the terror kingpin bin Laden...

[edit on 8/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Yep...

Let's kill Bin Laden, et al. Make a martyr out of him like they want.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
this is interesting, but the question to ask is...."Where is the body?". Maybe the Saudis are already feeling enough pressure because of oil prices that they feel the need to justify their role in the war on terror by throwing some meat on the table once in a while.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I would certainly be wary of any information with respect to "leaders" captured and/or
killed from the Al Qaida network. My first question would be how is it that the saudis or us
for that matter can have the foreknowledge that an individual is the "top leader" of
such a group with such certainty, yet take over a year to capture/kill/jail this individual?
I dont necessarily see a conspiracy in this as much as I see just plain ole misinformation.
I think collectively, perhaps, the governments are somewhat desparate to show results of a War on Terror. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Nice that people can still voice their opinion in a modest manner...not like army mom, but still are able to say what they wish....patriot act *Cough*. Thank god for ATS, though i may be a little more speculative of the Admin on this "War" at least for now we can still voice dissent

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The Saudis killed the nations top al Qaeda leader again? Isn't this like the third of fourth one? Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear they've killed the "top al Qaeda leader" before. How does one become the "top al Qaeda leader" in a country anyway? Elections? I would love to see the mudslinging between candidates for that postition.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
swell, now find that towel headed bin laden.

we need american cells to get into saudi arabia, im sure theyre already planning an espionage mission as such.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
the top leader kinda changes once you take one of them out. It's like our chain of command for the presidency. Do you really think that Al Queda never thought one of them would be caught?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Anyone noticed that we always get the guys in the middle i.e. the people no-one has ever heard of. When are we gonna get the big boys eh? Probably never in my opinion, not while oil prices stay this high. Someone is making a lot of money somehwere and they have Bin Laden and his chums to thank for it.

War on terror my arse. This should have been over and done with in two years but people have realised just how much money there is to be made.

Besides, look at Hamas, its a bloody hydra. Cut off one head and another ten spring up. Ive lost count of the number of leaders the Israelis have killed. Even so that in itself is an effective strategy, it makes the terrorists keep their heads down and I guess thats what they are trying to do with Bin Laden, but still, you have to wonder, why have we not caught him yet!

new topics

top topics

join