It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs and Aliens - Do you want to Believe?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

To counter, I pointed out that the very reason the animal would be afraid is because it does not understand what is happening. If we could communicate with the animal, we would no doubt reassure it, explain what was happening and tell it that it would be all right. It is this attempt at compassion that I believe is lacking in most abduction cases. Humans are intelligent animals. If aliens are, as we must believe, far more advanced then we, they must possess the ability to communicate with us in some fashion. Humans will still try to comfort animals which we feel are beneath us even though we cannot communicate with them directly - we will pat a dog while it waits at the vet or talk to it in soothing tones. From most abduction accounts I have read, it seems that aliens care not at all for our comfort or well-being. Increasingly I find myself reasoning that, if aliens are indeed visiting the Earth and conducting such operations, then they are truly hostile.

I don't think if they were truelly hostile they would be carrying on intelligent conversations with the abductee's. It is obvious to me that they are not outright friendly, but they aren't intent on destruction either. The et's have been reported to calm and reassure the abductee's that they would not be permanently harmed. Of course abductee's have been humiliated and mentally scarred (sp?) but can we be sure that the aliens understand this?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I don't think if they were truelly hostile they would be carrying on intelligent conversations with the abductee's. It is obvious to me that they are not outright friendly, but they aren't intent on destruction either.

True, hence the "lab rat" comparison....

Don't forget though, there are SOME cases of UFO-related deaths also....even human mutilation. (though the "lab rat" theory could apply to this as well).

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If they ARE hostile, then I have to ask - What are they waiting for?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Would I want to believe that aliens could at any time come into my room and abduct me to perform strange and painfull operations on me?

Of course bloody not!!!!!

Why the hell do skeptics always use the argument, "You only believe in aliens because you want to believe!" I want a million pounds but i'm certainly not believing i'm gonna get it!

Hell, sometimes I stay awake at night picturing James Randi shouting at me, "UFOs don't exist. The government does not lie to you. It is impossible for aliens to visit planet earth" Just to take away the fears that sometimes grip me.

For some reason that doesn't offer me any comfort

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I do not recall a time where I either wanted to believe or did not believe. I just remember at a very young age thinking it made sense. Life goes down as far as we can detect, look into a microscope and see a whole new level of existance. Look into the Sky, with a telescope, and see Stars that reach out to Forever. Life must be out there too, some of it with a form of intelligence that we can recognize.

When you consider the 'scientific study' angle, that does indeed cover the entire time we have been on this planet, it helps to remember that we have been visited by uncounted number of Races. What we 'see' when we look at a true unknown is highly dependent on cultural and other factors. The trend towards things we see matching is more human than truth.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That is very true Alexander. A friend of mine always says, 'How will we know if we are looking at intelligent life from outer space? We might not be able to recognise it.'

I think to some degree she is correct. For all we know, they could already be here among us as other things and we continue our own lives completely unaware. To think that they will come/visit in a completely familiar shape/form way to us is a little unrealistic on our part. Then again, we are human, it is our make-up to recognise similar species, anything that isn't, troubles us and rightly (for survival reason) so.

My dog for instance has been greatly troubled by a recent advert for Renault in which the car acts like the family dog - whimpering and wagging its tail (the car, not the dog!) and wanting to go for a ride and such.

Despite this, my dog is not fooled, he knows something is up and that the car is not a dog per se, although how he knows this as the car doesn't 'bark', is beyond me. Perhaps it is the movement and the way the family relates to it that upsets him. Anyway, the point is he knows in his dog-bones that a car acting like a dog is not right.

We are scared/suspicious/wary of tall dark things, of short grey things, beings with big heads and eyes and beings we can't even comprehend. What if, they look completely different than that most of the time and we don't even know it? Maybe they do it not to scare us.

More to ponder...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well I have seen the very large triangular ones and then some that is the color of a fireball and that poke along and then sometimes will move so quickly they almost vanish right before your eyes. But even after this I find it hard to believe, I keep thinking it is some sort of government project, or some sort of phenomenon we are not yet familiar with. If its not the government then I don't really think they have any answers and just are not telling us since they don't want to appear helpless.

Whatever it is I know they are real, I've seen them and others with me have seen them and other people in the same area I did not know have reported seeing them but even so its hard to accept. Ones mind just keeps wanting to deny their existance, I guess denying their existance makes us feel safer.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Instead of reasurring they use other techniques like let us forget etc.
Its our ignorance not only about them but about our selves as well that is making it cloudy.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Do I want to believe? Yes. Why? Because then everything is different.

Somebody in the New World Order forum asked "Why would you want any of this stuff to be true if it would mean your world would be totally changed and people would probably suffer?"

I think that, if I am completely honest with myself, the real reason that I want to believe in UFOs and aliens lies in the fact that, if aliens were to reveal themselves or somehow became public knowledge, everything would change. I think that a lot of people are holding out for that change. Maybe if aliens were revealed things would be different. Not in the sense that aliens would guide us and save us from ourselves. I'm talking more in terms of shifting paradigms. Let's say that aliens were real and were hostile - all of a sudden I'm not living a boring life. I have purpose. I don't have to pay rent or go to work because there are now more important things to do. The world might change. The world might be different and my life might have greater purpose, might have some greater meaning.

Or it could just be me and the fact that I have a boring, meaningless life.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I belive In UFO more then i belive in God. i dont belive god so

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Or it could just be me and the fact that I have a boring, meaningless life.

Ha.
I know the feelin.

Yes I want to as well, though as much as the 'stop work' sounds enticing, I want it more for the reason for something to finally unite us a one race. - I hope thats what will come from it anyway.

We may actually start helping each other - To create an equal playing field for all. No Borders No Limits No Greed.
Imagine all the brilliant minds that will be freed from poverty, hunger, disease & and lack of education etc....

Its obvious we need help. We will never acheive this on our own.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
Well here is a question for you Dallas,

If one believes they are here to observe us, then what is their reason for not exposing themselves to us yet? Sufficient time has passed and they must know of our reticence and fear.

This brings up a few more questions such as: Does this mean they don't exist and the things we are attributing to them are actually government prototypes and/or cutting edge technology that is being tested. The infinitely scarier question is what if they are of the 'War of the Worlds' variety.

Could it be that is why only some see and others (like me) don't.

I personally like the idea that something besides us could exist. It puts a different spin on the universe.

Or they think cause we are scared of them they dont want to come down and all of the sudden the military comes to kill them and crap... they may be friendly, but scared of us because we are scared of them and then it would rage into a war... maybe...
I hope its not like the 'War Of The Worlds' scenario...

Anyways I do beleive, do to one of my sightings last month... very scary night... I thought we were being invaded that night. (long story, read my old topic with the blue siren on the left
) I knew what I saw was not from this world.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by And1balla2829]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Wanting to believe and wanting to disbelieve both have a tendency to obstruct the honest pursuit of truth.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
No, not neccessarily. I think it is very healthy to have wishes and desires. If you want to believe in something it doesn't mean you will automatically force yourself to see shiny things in the sky or make yourself think you had been abducted.

I want to believe, but have seen nothing out of the ordinary so far. I remain possibly the most skeptical person on this thread. In the back of my mind somewhere I think it must be true, but my logic and rational thoughts have vetoed 'want' over 'proof'.

I think you have to weigh facts and make up your own mind. Just because x neighbour has been privvy to 12 sightings does not mean I will believe it myself - even though I feel like some truth must be connected to his claim. It may not be 'my' truth, but may be his. Who am I to try to take that away or to doubt someone else's experience? I am a person seeking truth, not a half-minded skeptic or gullible fool. I know how to distinguish wanting from believing.

I don't want to get into metaphysical debates - but here is the deal. If you say you can honestly sit there and be completely balanced minded, your heart and mind like a blank slate, no fear, no desire, no pre-conceived thoughts; I wouldn't believe you. We just aren't made that way. We are a combination of mind & body. Even cold logical scientists have beliefs, they just stow them away for the purpose of analytical study. Ditto for theologians, philosophers and the members of a jury.

It is possible to remove your own personal beliefs or desires from the task at hand.

Maybe you think that by not vocalizing your fears or beliefs that it makes them not so; that is why I started this thread. A lot of people like me (sort of) believe but we have no proof of our own. We want to or in some cases don't, but I'm not about to go and make-up things to neatly fit inside the part of my mind that wants it to be so.

I hope this post hasn't been too confusing. I am rushing off now.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Consider this Nikelbee, on this Forum you have a fair number of people, of those let's take the most knowledgeable 25%.

There is the huge mass of evidence out there, reports, pictures, stories, myths, cave paintings, etc. So much that no one human could ever examine them all. Just the process of sorting out the simple mistakes (aircraft, towers, planets, sats, etc) alone is daunting.

With that top 25% I mentioned you have uncounted years of research into that mountain of evidence. It seems to me that the vast majority accept a core set of points (1) Other life exists (2) Some of it travels space (3) Some have visited and (4) Some have done more than visited.

This topic is much like a legal case, there is no real official answer, because certainty about a negative is impossible. It is a fact that no one can say with any certainty at all that we are the only intelligent life in the Universe.

So what I see here is a collective mind with hundreds of years worth of research. That makes for a pretty solid group that see simple logic and rational thinking as making the answers obvious, at least in the overall
sense of the word 'answers'.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
Consider this Nikelbee, on this Forum you have a fair number of people, of those let's take the most knowledgeable 25%.

There is the huge mass of evidence out there, reports, pictures, stories, myths, cave paintings, etc. So much that no one human could ever examine them all. Just the process of sorting out the simple mistakes (aircraft, towers, planets, sats, etc) alone is daunting.

Alexander

I am not disputing the evidence or the possiblity of life on other planets. My point is simply that it is possible to persue truth while still wanting to believe in something.

I was addressing myself to the poster who said:

Wanting to believe and wanting to disbelieve both have a tendency to obstruct the honest pursuit of truth.

Which I agree with to some extent. I would say the need to overcome this tendency is neccesary in order to get honest answers.

Thus, while there is much evidence and overwhelming majority agreement on this, I am not totally convinced yet.

I'll break it down like this:

My emotional being has not made up its mind
My logical side says yes and no
My philisophical side says yes
My unconscious dream state says yes
My romantic side says yes, perhaps...

----------------------------------------------
Verdict is? Still undecided

[edit on 24-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is a small pet piev of mine.
Most people say want to believe when they really mean do believe.
I believe-I am not so sure weathter I want to believe.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Really an interesting question. If you want to believe, nothing's stopping you. You have the freedom to believe anything you want. Do I believe in UFOs? Well, how can you not? There are things flying around that are unidentified. Pretty clear cut. Is there intelligent life elsewhere in the universe? I'd have to think that there is. Are the two things related, i.e. UFOs piloted by extraterrestrial beings? I personally don't think so. So, do I want to believe? No, I want to KNOW.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well the question isn't really about having the freedom to believe. We can all believe outragous nonsense if we wanted to and happily get away with it. I am no one to prohibit anyone from thinking that fairies or vampires exist.

Life on other planets is a little different. First of all it is more plausible and because of that, more complex as well. It isn't a straight yes or no for most people. One can think that life on other planets exists but not believe in flying saucers or the little grey guys.

There are so many questions that are still unanswered so it still remains less than real for me.

I am interested in knowing WHY people want to believe in extraterrestrial life. Is it a sense of being saved? Or perhaps a feeling that we should be doomed? Are humans predisposed to believe in 'other' or 'higher beings'. These are the questions that intrigue me...

Thanks for posting btw - there are a lot of good posts here.
I'm getting a better idea of how people feel about ETs.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I don't want to believe,I want to know.

It is important that we continue to search the truth. It is out there

[edit on 24-8-2005 by DarkSide]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join