It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ecuadorian Shipwreck Carrying Emigrants - 100 Feared Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Over 100 people are believed dead when an Ecuadorian ship sank off the coast of Columbia. The boat, believed to be carrying from 113 - 119 illegal immigrants, was made to hold up to 15 people, said the AP news source. 9 people were rescued by a fishing boat.

edition.cnn.com
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- A boat carrying more than 100 illegal immigrants capsized and sank in rough waters in the Pacific Ocean, and only nine survivors were found, clinging to a wooden box and buoys, officials said Wednesday.

Ecuadorean Navy Capt. Armando Elizalde told Colombian RCN television most of the 113 people aboard "sank with the boat."

The disaster that hit the boat -- whose passengers were believed to be heading for the United States -- occurred Friday night more than 100 miles off the coast of southwest Colombia.

"The boat, with way too many people aboard, was unable to resist a strong wave and it tipped over," Elizalde said, adding that most of those aboard were in the ship's hold when it capsized and could not escape. Thirteen people emerged on the surface but four of them later slipped under the waves, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is sad news indeed. I guess other countries are also battling problems with illegal immigration. The passengers were said to be from Central America but I'm not sure that BBC source is correct as Ecuador is in South America. There were also hints that this may have been en route to the US.

Additional note: This happened last Saturday but has just been reported on now. They are saying all 113 people on the boat were emigrating to the US. There are conflicting comments, but it is sad tragedy nonetheless. Let's hope this puts people off doing dangerous things of this sort. I wonder how much they paid someone to stow them on this boat? I hope legal action will ensue.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by nikelbee]

today.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have just come across more information on this tragic sinking of the Ecuadorian boat. According to CNN, the passage for these emigrants was 10,000 dollars per head. The smugglars charged 5000 to get to Panama and then another 5000 to get into the US. In a chilling account, a teenage survivor recounts the screams of the dozens of people locked in the hold who couldn't escape when the boat started to sink.

No arrests have been made yet.

Here is the link:

edition.cnn.com...

new topics

join