It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Top Police Officer Ian Blair Blocked Enquiry into Brazilian's Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Scotland Yard commissioner Sir Ian Blair tried to stop an independent external enquiry into the accidental death of the Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes. Blair argued that the investigation should be kept internal so as not to tie up valuable resources needed to combat anti-terrorism threats.

www.guardian.co.uk
Britain's top police officer, the Scotland Yard commissioner Sir Ian Blair, attempted to stop an independent external investigation into the shooting of a young Brazilian mistaken for a suicide bomber, it emerged yesterday.
Sir Ian wrote to John Gieve, the permanent secretary at the Home Office, on July 22, the morning Jean Charles de Menezes was shot at short range on the London tube. The commissioner argued for an internal inquiry into the killing on the grounds that the ongoing anti-terrorist investigation took precedence over any independent look into his death.

According to senior police and Whitehall sources, Sir Ian was concerned that an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission could impact on national security and intelligence. He was also understood to be worried that an outside investigation would damage the morale of CO19, the elite firearms section working under enormous pressure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sir Ian Blair has lied to the public and mishandled this whole situation from the start. Whether you think he maliciously did this or because he was distracted with other matters is not the question. He is a senior member and a highly visible representative of the police force. He was the one who went on television after the 7/7 bombings and calmed the people. He should be setting an example, not covering things up.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 18-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I have always thought Ian Blair acted in a fishy manner. The family is asking for his resignation.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Ok - I know the unclassfied version - is there more to this?
I'm thinkin' about the vic here...
Exactly where was he working during his time in UK? When and for whom?
Could he have seen or heard or been made aware of anything that'd be worth 7 cranial slugs SAS-style.
Or was this just done to prove to "folks" that any unrest anywhere in the "West" gets you dead - 'see we even grease the innocent just to make sure.

I'll tell you one thing - I'll never set foot in UK or the USA ever again - unless it's at gunpoint or in a bodybag.

I really like England - Donington Park, Snetterton, Brands...
I especially like America - Vegas, Pittsburgh, Elkhart Lake, Daytona.

So be it - both are now police states - and homey don't play dat game no mo'.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I think you might be looking in the wrong place as to why this man was shot.

I wouldnt think Brazillian electricians get too privy with classified secrets that need silencing. I also dont think that shooting an innocent person sends a message that we shouldnt revolt against the government either.

If this was a planned occurance then you have to look at what legal changes could occur because of this innocent. Put it into a Hegelian scenario.

Problem: Innocent man shot because of mistaken identity/insufficient surveilance

Reaction: Public loses confidence in police force. Armed police refuse to work under dubious ROE and at risk of prosecution.

Solution(s):
1) Legislate remotely readable ID cards (RFID) to check identities so that suspects can be checked and vetted thus preventing this kind of mistake in future.

and

2) Legislate police officers cannot be charged for shooting dead "suspected terrorists" to avoid armed police refusing to work after any prosecutions from the Menedez case.

Im not saying these solutions are the ones aimed at here but they are more likely the aims of any conspiracy here.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
'sounds good - hope it works out for you.
Glad I live in Canada - so far.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Just finished watching the BBC nightly news...
Apparently besides me, the Brazilians don't trust the current "story" either; thet're sending two reps from their judiciary to keep an eye on things.

I smell burnt "Beef Wellington".

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Blair was interviewed by BBC Radio 4 and rejected the idea of a cover-up.

What I actually said was, we have a unique situation here which, at that stage, I and my officers thought the dead man was a suicide bomber - he might have been one of the four we were looking for, he might have been someone else - and we are in the middle of one of the biggest counter terrorist operations; is it wise to bring in another set of investigators into the middle of that with the forensics, ballistics and explosives and so on?

Which is just a round about way for saying he buried it to deal with 'more important' matters.

He is saying that he acted responsibly to the best of his ability despite the 'unique' situation.

He also said that the met didn't do 'spin' and that they never actually confirmed any details. But doesn't mention how 'alleged' fits into the picture.

This man is no neophyte, he is a seasoned member of the police department and one who is media savvy as well. These excuses just don't fly in my opinion.

dh

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Funny really. Top people in a chain of command don't normally cover-up in a situation where lower minions can be squarely blamed for events
They dont want to be screwed in public as Ian Blair has so publicly allowed himself to be
Cops protect their own but not from the top down
There has to be another explanation why the Met has allowed itself to be compromised, even given subz's PRS scenario which is right enough
And one can only imagine that the total lie scenario had to be maintained, while the loose ends of the bad mistake scenario were tied up
Which would suggest a much worse real scenario lies beneath related to the bombings of 7/7 and the flour bombings of 21/7
Logically there must be a connection involved in the unusual police behaviour

top topics

join