It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I be a vigilante too???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
There are two things i want to address.

First is the killing of an Egyptian by Moses in "Exodus". Can someone please explain how and why Moses got away with killing a person just because he was assaulting a Hebrew. Thats not justice in my eyes. Is it ok for me to go kill a serial killer???
This brings me to my second question.
When is it ok to kill in the name of the lord??? Is it right to kill for any reason, including in the name of GOD? I ask this becasue its clearly illustrated in Joshua, where people are slaughtered "by the edge of the sword" of the Jews as they invaded and settled the Promiseland.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This in Joshua is because God was both giving the Hebrews their land He promised, and God was using the Hebrews to judge the Canaanites for their idolatry, sexual immorality, etc. (They were a fertility cult with ritual prostitution and worship of idols)

It is not okay to kill in the name of God, unless God has told you to. OBVIOUSLY told you to.

Romans 12:17 Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends upon you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." 20 No, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I dont think Moses wrote about his killing of an egyptian much, but the Lord is very merciful, and He wanted Moses to do His will. Dont worry about what Moses did, we all have our own sins to worry about.

There are some circumstances in which its okay to kill.

*When you are in a war
*Self defense according to how it is written in Exodus.

However, thankfully, most of us will never have to make that decision to kill a man.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9

It is not okay to kill in the name of God, unless God has told you to. OBVIOUSLY told you to.

God tells me to kill people all the time in absolute terms, or is it Satan?? Who knows but I don't abide by it. How exactly does one tell if your thoughts are yours or if it is inspired by God or the Devil. Jesus proclaims to turn the other cheek, but that would mean if someone was going to kill your children, then you should allow them to do it.

I too have wondered why God allowed and also instructed killing when he makes rules against it and says it is a sin. The only thing that does make sense is that all the laws and rules ever made can't be lived up to and thus Jesus' sacrifice is the only thing that makes any sense of being our scapegoat.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Imagine there was a great king who had anything he wanted at his beck and call. Women, gold, slaves, anything he wanted. Now imagine if this man took another mans wife, had sexual intercourse with her then had her husband murdered to cover up his crime. What would you say about such a man?

Here’s what God said about such a man.

Acts 13:22
And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the [son] of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

Acts 13:23
Of this man's seed hath God according to [his] promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

The man was King David and he was a man that God loved with tremendous passion. God sees beyond our sins and looks deep into the depths of our heart to uncover the true man inside.

King David loved God. He wrote songs to God and poems. He thought about God constantly and sought him out. If you were to chase after God with this same passion he would also forgive your sins. God only asks you to humble yourself and seek his face. In exchange for that you receive a prize that cannot be measured.

Our God is awesome in his ways.

Machine

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

This in Joshua is because God was both giving the Hebrews their land He promised, and God was using the Hebrews to judge the Canaanites for their idolatry, sexual immorality, etc. (They were a fertility cult with ritual prostitution and worship of idols)

But why did the children and woman have to be slaughtered too??? I dont think killing innocent children is justified here....is it???

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuDaCrIs
There are two things i want to address.

... Can someone please explain how and why Moses got away with killing a person just because he was assaulting a Hebrew.

When is it ok to kill in the name of the lord???

The answers to your questions are pretty simple. The Bible is a book written by men to justify the acts of men to empower men. Once you accept that it is a compilation of political writings, understanding becomes trivial.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LuDaCrIs

But why did the children and woman have to be slaughtered too??? I dont think killing innocent children is justified here....is it???

They were not innocent, they worshipped the idols too. It is justice because the people who were killed were NOT innocent just because they were a woman or a child; they were still being judged. Was it wrong when God judged the Israelites by letting the Babylonians conquer them? I'm sure women and children were killed then.
If the children were incapable of making the choice between worshipping God and obeying Him or not, God did whatever was right. Maybe they are gonna be in heaven, dont know, and its not up to me to know.
Spamandham: he wanted the truth.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   

They were not innocent, they worshipped the idols too. It is justice because the people who were killed were NOT innocent just because they were a woman or a child; they were still being judged

Whether or not they were being judged is irrelavant here. The point I am trying to state is that the children were infact innocent and didn't deserve to get murdered.

Are you seriuosly trying to tell me that if a person walks into your house right now and murders your child, if you have one that is, and they tell you it was in the name of whatever GOD their worshipping, you wouldn't ask why? And if they replied with the answer "My God told me I had to murder your child because they were worshipping idols".....you wouldnt question that? What if your child is two or even one, a newborn, what kind of idols are they worshipping?

THis is completely sick in my eyes....I cant beleive someone can just proclaim their God is doing the right thing when something like this is being portrayed in the Bible.

AM I the only one thats thinks this is wrong?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It is justice because the people who were killed were NOT innocent just because they were a woman or a child; they were still being judged.

This is the type of moronic lack of thought that causes wars. Animals have higher morals than are attributed to your god. They only kill for food, self defense, and mating rights. Your god condemns those whos only crime is failure to worship your god. You have made yourself as cruel as the self absorbed petty tyrant you worship.

Spamandham: he wanted the truth.

...and I gave it. Once you realize there is nothing divine about the Bible, the contradictions are no longer a problem. Genocide was justified by claiming god commanded it. This is the same game modern politicians use. As long as you realize its a lie, it causes no confusion.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I believe somewhere in the bible it says( its better to kill one who will kill many.) somewhere in the old testiment.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
I believe somewhere in the bible it says( its better to kill one who will kill many.) somewhere in the old testiment.

Why should anyone care what a bunch of ancient books written by sunstroked superstitious sheep herders says?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
lol people do care, thousands and thousands. And no matter what you do, you can not change the fact that God is alive. And that he loves you.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

lol people do care, thousands and thousands. And no matter what you do, you can not change the fact that God is alive. And that he loves you.

You can not change the fact that god does not exist, no matter what you do.

Nor can you change the fact that roughly 2/3 of the people on earth could care less what the Bible has to say, and of the remaining 1/3, hardly any have bothered to actually do more than a superficial read of the silly thing.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Does not change the fact God is alive and still thousand and thousand and yet more thousand believe. God still love you.

So now we know some believe and some dont.

YOU STILL DID NOT PROve GOD IS NOT ALIVE.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by slymattb]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Does not change God is alive and still thousand and thousand and yet more thousand believe. God still love you

You may repeat that god exists 1,000,000 times or more, and that doesn't carry as much weight as the smallest piece of evidence. Rather than repeating yourself, why not just present a case for your position?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Because you can never prove that God is alive, only by faith can you find God. I bet bad things happen to ya so that you would disblieve. Just you let you know bad thing happen.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Because you can never prove that God is alive, only by faith can you find God.

It would seem that faith is incapable of resolving differences since you have faith god exists and I believe faith is useless and dangerous. Should we resort to violence then? That's the traditional solution to competition of faith.

The alternative would be to recognize that the concept of faith is less valuable than sewage, and use reason instead. Faith is an intentional act of ignorance. Prove me wrong.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
faith is more valiable then anything you have in you house. God does not like violence or anger. So God does not want violence. You wrong about faith.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
faith is more valiable then anything you have in you house. God does not like violence or anger. So God does not want violence. You wrong about faith.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

...and I should believe you why? You have made no argument whatsoever in support of faith. Mindlessly repeating "you're wrong" accomplishes nothing other than reaffirming my belief that faith causes a break down in the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join