It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This asteroid is still worrisome.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whompa1

1. The anti-christ has not been revealed yet.

2. Christian persacution worldwide has been happening since the time of christ. Are you forgetting christians who were used as sport in rome? Thats nothing new every major religion in the world has been persacuted look at the jews in WWII. If you base it simply off that statement then christ should have came hundreds of years ago.

3. Whats the point in making your faithful who have earned the right to heaven thru christ go thru half of the tribulation? The point of rapture to not half to face the endtimes and the inevitable hell. I was brought up to belief that the faithful were too be removed before the tribulation, and that the world would not plunge into this until the rapture which after the anti christ takes the reins.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Whompa1]

Hey Freind:

1. No other person in History has been associated with the number 666

18This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.

Yet, this man Javier Solana's is. His very post and power were created under reccomendation 666

Secondly, this man is the head of the WEU Western European Union- a ten nation alliance within the EU.

He is a man of peace, a third party negotiator.

And finally, he has writen (back in 1995) the Euromed partnership which is a seven year contract which he says will be confirmed as of January 1, 2007.

This Man fits the bill to the T I'm asking you to consider the fact that just maybe your upbringing may be wrong. I too was tought as you were to believe in a pre tribulation Rapture, but as I began to read Scripture with an open mind and not a predtermined construct I began to see that this did not jive with what the Bible really says.

Consider the following verses as if you never read them before:

7He was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them.

9He who has an ear, let him hear.
10If anyone is to go into captivity,
into captivity he will go.
If anyone is to be killed[c] with the sword,
with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints.

These are both found in the 13 chapter of Revelation. I know that you have read them many times. Tell me this, doesn't your mind burn when you read that part? that Burn is the Holy Ghost asking you to reconsider your construct.

If the saints are not here during the tribulation while antichrist is ruling then who are these people- new converts? I seriously doubt it!
That would be impossible considering the following

The whole world was astonished and followed the beast. 4Men worshiped the dragon because he had given authority to the beast, and they also worshiped the beast and asked, "Who is like the beast? Who can make war against him?"

and

But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image.

There is much more to say on this subject but so little time for me to do it. I know that I may not be as educated as some or even eloquent but I do the best I can with what I have learned. I simply asking you to do the same. Do not simply sit back and blindly accept what you were tought as written in stone. Be like the Bereans whom paul loved for their vigilance at testing everything.

I feel that you sort of made my point in your second statement about other people trials. Every generation of christians have had to go through their own tribulation. do you honestly believe that we shall escape our own tribulation? the only difference between past trials and what lies ahead of us is that we are the chosen saints upon which the end of the world has come.

Friend I will not further converse with you until you have at least done a cursory study of the facts Ive presented.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
yes this sounds a bit suspicious. he seems to fit the bill. but you should remember...if you are using Revelation as a source you must also remember the other things it said. when it says that you won't know the day or hour, thats symbolic for "you cant know when." its not going to say "You won't know the second, minute, hour, day, week, year, decade, century, millenium of the event."

And besides, the Book of Revelation was written to comfort early Christians that Jesus would come again (in their time, as most thought over a thousand years ago) and destroy the "harlot empire," "Babylon," which was a metaphor for the Roman Empire.

We should always be prepared, but we shouldn't run around accusing people of being the AntiChrist. People have done that for years now, they were all certain that they were right. But they weren't. All they succeeded in doing was slander.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fortimus
And besides, the Book of Revelation was written to comfort early Christians that Jesus would come again (in their time, as most thought over a thousand years ago) and destroy the "harlot empire," "Babylon," which was a metaphor for the Roman Empire.

There is no more Roman Empire so Jesus has no reason to come back. This turned from a scientific thread to a religious one.

The time frames that we detect asteriods are very small sometimes. Do you think we are capable of defelcting or distroying an asteriod with a weeks notice?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Alright, it was fun at first, but it's about time we get back on topic now.

No more about the end of the world, in a religious sense.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
The time frames that we detect asteriods are very small sometimes. Do you think we are capable of defelcting or distroying an asteriod with a weeks notice?

Definitely not! In fact, most of the larger ones that come close to Earth we don't even get until AFTER they pass the Earth.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Remember that time when one came between the earth and the moon and we found out the day after. Scary stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by GoldEagle

Definitely not! In fact, most of the larger ones that come close to Earth we don't even get until AFTER they pass the Earth.

weeks? probably not. But if we had a few months warning then we could do something to stop it.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Murcielago, is our nuclear arsenal capable of traveling into space and intercepting an asteriod at great distances? You seem to be the expert at this stuff.

We need time to send a probe up there to inspect the asteriod's structure and composition and find the best course of action to defect it or distroy it if it's small enough. I think we need a minimum of 5 years. Time to design and build the probe, would be about 6 months to a year. The probe would have to travel to the asteriod, gather the information and an action plan would have to be thought up. Then the missiles would have to go there and do their stuff. Shooting missiles blindly at the asteriod would not be our best option without learning about it better, to create the best plan of attack.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The time for reaction has to do with how severe the threat is, which dictates how much attention and money will be thrown its way.

The ICBM's we have that can reach anywhere in the world are not designed to defend us against a space threat, so they wont work for an asteroid or comet threat.

If we have a couple decades, then we will have plently of time to build the probe and orbit it taking pictures and radar images, and even land on it and see its composition, which will then enable us to pick one of the dozens of ways to handle it. and congress will have plently of time to devote a certian amount of money to it, the money will go to Nasa to eliminate the threat. If its a small asteroid, like a hundred feet, and predicted to hit a desert, then it will recieve money for a smaller mission. But if its a huge comet of asteriod capable of wiping us out, then virtually over night the mission will be drawn up, and will recieve a massive budget, and have many fail safes like plan B and C and so on. But if its going to hit in a couple months then that doesn't give us enough time to do a detailed study of, except from earth telescopes, and What ever is the largest rocket to be launched in the next month will basically be comendeered. Like if Boeing planned to launch a communication satellite in a few weeks, they would not launch the sat, and instead they would use that rocket to propel the nuclear warhead(s) to there target to either detonat nukes beside it to change its course, or the could use the same technique that Nasa had used for Deep Impact, have the point of the nuke be made from tungsten (a very hard metal) and have the asteroid be in a head on collisoin with it and a very high speed, which would make the nuke act as a bunker buster, so 'drill' into the asteroid and detonate, destroying the comet.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Very intresting post Murcielago.

I had an idea but I don't think it will work. Remember the projectile the launched at Temple 1? They should do the same thing except the projectile will be a large Uranium fuel rod, fired at the asteriod at extremly high speeds, and penetrate the asteriod and explode. The force of the impact will be enough to defelect the asteriod.

It is very important that we know this thing's composition. NASA conducted experiments with a high powered pelletgun to simulate a nuclear explosion is space to scale. Solid iron and rock asteriods can be defelcted. Porous rock asteriods (like barbecue lava rocks) are the most dagerous. They cannot be defelcted by nuclear explosions. The explosion will leave the rocks tragectory unchanged. We need to examine it's composition in order to get a working plan of attack.

Hear is a "cool tool" in calculating the damage of an asteriod impact.
www.lpl.arizona.edu...

[edit on 8/19/2005 by GoldEagle]

E_T

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ordinary "out of silo" ICBMs really wouldn't work, they're designed for lofting payload to suborbital flight.
But they could be used as launch vehicle for launching smaller payloads to orbit. (and even smaller payload to escape velocity).

Originally posted by Murcielago
or the could use the same technique that Nasa had used for Deep Impact, have the point of the nuke be made from tungsten (a very hard metal) and have the asteroid be in a head on collisoin with it and a very high speed, which would make the nuke act as a bunker buster, so 'drill' into the asteroid and detonate, destroying the comet.
U238 aka DU has considerably better ballistic characteristics than tungsten. (in other case APFSDS rounds of MBTs would use tungsten)
Other even better thing in DU is that in shell of multistage thermonuclear device it actually boosts yield. While fission neutrons can't do anything to it very energetic neutrons released by fusion are able to cause fission in it.

But biggest problem would be making nuclear bomb to withstand acceleration caused by impact, after all it's extremely fine tuned mechanical device which can't take shocks.
And actually you would have to slow down before impact, with cosmic speed that nuke would do nothing because impact would instantly vaporize it. Just like in case of Deep Impact, basically impactor was just couple hundred kilograms of copper but in impact all kinetic energy (equivalent to 5 tons of TNT) is converted to heat which vaporises matter in impact point causing explosion.
deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov...

Also in case of bigger object than couple kilometers nukes with usable size/weight (big city busters were very heavy) couldn't propably destroy it.
(for example latest big comet, Hale-Bop was 50 km sized)

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
nah, I still think a nuke would destroy it, it all depends on how many or how big. Like a 100 megaton nuke should pretty much erase most threats.

asn as for nuke being kind of delicate...I'm sure the AF has the solution, after all, they are or were developing bunker busting nukes.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
How about laying mines in a calculated plan so that they don't stray from orbit too much?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lifeadventurer
How about laying mines in a calculated plan so that they don't stray from orbit too much?

What do you mean?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Actually, this is a great idea. If you meant the way I see it...lay a set of bombs along the projected path of the object and detonate them sequencially.
Each detonation causes the object to move just a smidge from it's path.
It would take a lot of time (and timing) to do this...but the idea has much more merit that 'blowing it up', imo.

forgot to mention...I'm responding to lifeadventurers post

[edit on 19-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Laying mines? It would just be easier to launch nukes at it. Good idea though, but not practical.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join