It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier Tried to Stop 9/11 (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
According to LtCol Shaffer, he tried to contact the FBI a few times before the 9/11 incident actually occured. Due the to extremely sensitive nature of gathering the information though he was turned back by Deparment of Defense lawyers.

www.nytim es.com
WASHINGTON, Aug. 16 - A military intelligence team repeatedly contacted the F.B.I. in 2000 to warn about the existence of an American-based terrorist cell that included the ringleader of the Sept. 11 attacks, according to a veteran Army intelligence officer who said he had now decided to risk his career by discussing the information publicly. The officer, Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer, said military lawyers later blocked the team from sharing any of its information with the F.B.I.

Colonel Shaffer said in an interview that the small, highly classified intelligence program known as Able Danger had identified by name the terrorist ringleader, Mohammed Atta, as well three of the other future hijackers by mid-2000, and had tried to arrange a meeting that summer with agents of the F.B.I.'s Washington field office to share the information.

Colonel Shaffer said that his role in Able Danger was as the program's liaison with the Defense Intelligence Agency in Washington, and that he was not an intelligence analyst. The interview with Colonel Shaffer on Monday night was arranged for The New York Times and Fox News by Representative Curt Weldon, the Pennsylvania Republican who is vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee and a champion of data-mining programs like Able Danger.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is the case, then I feel the general public does not care how they got the information. That would of been the least of our concerns. There is no right way to combat terrorism as its sole purpose it to cause chaos and destroy freedoms.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If this story is a repeat please post the link because I already looked for it and I didn't see one. Plus the fact my command does morning news and this was in it.

-Aza

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think you'll find members could be getting Val's thread on the Able Danger member coming forward:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and you submissions classed as the same news item. I voted for both of them because your's surrounds a different aspect of Able Danger

new topics

join